My Nexus 4 is charging very slow

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
it say its charging on a USB when its plug on the wall .Is the something wrong with the phone ?

Mine seems to charge fairly slow as well, especially compared to my previous phone (iPhone 4S). Not bad enough to seriously bother me though. Short of leaving it asleep or turning it off when you charge it, I'm not sure theres much you can do.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

xCirocx

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
well my is serious though to bother anyone it take a most of the day to charge and i cant use it well it charging cause the battery keeps dying

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Mine charges really slow when using an HTC branded charger. It charges faster when I use a Moto charger, and I have yet to use the charger out of the box.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Mine charges really slow when using an HTC branded charger. It charges faster when I use a Moto charger, and I have yet to use the charger out of the box.

Can you guys clarify one point? Are you using both the cable and charger unit which shipped with your Nexus 4?

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
well my is serious though to bother anyone it take a most of the day to charge and i cant use it well it charging cause the battery keeps dying

Sounds like a defective Nexus 4, honestly. Mine charges pretty quick and can be used while charging without losing battery. I would get a replacement if you feel like dealing with Google reps again.

EDIT: I'm using the one out of the box.

Teknojnky

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
What is the amp rating on the charged included in the box vs the ones mentioned above? More milliamps means faster charge, to an extent.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Is "most of the day" hyperbole? Can't imagine any other conclusion besides a defective unit if you're not exaggerating there. I would definitely prepare for a return to Google if that's the case, much as it pains me to think what that experience will be like.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
hmm... one of the unboxing video's i watched said it has a 1.8 or maybe it was 1.9 Amp charger. You'd think that would do the job rather quickly. I wonder whats going on.

Matt Beaulne

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Is it charging from the wall or usb? If usb, maybe you have a lower power usb port. Try directly from the wall.. Mine charges slow (just as slow as my nexus s) but nothing to bad. maybe an hour for a full charge, give or take.

xCirocx

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Is it charging from the wall or usb? If usb, maybe you have a lower power usb port. Try directly from the wall.. Mine charges slow (just as slow as my nexus s) but nothing to bad. maybe an hour for a full charge, give or take.

it on the wall but when i go to the battery stetting is say charging (UBS) when it plug on the wall

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
hmm... one of the unboxing video's i watched said it has a 1.8 or maybe it was 1.9 Amp charger. You'd think that would do the job rather quickly. I wonder whats going on.

Actually, it is a 1.2mA charger. At least, that is what came in my box for the US market.

Many phones ship with 1.0mA wall warts, as did my HTC Evo 4G and my wife's Evo Shift. If someone is using a 1.0mA charger with a phone which was designed for a 1.2mA unit, they are going to see a difference in the charge rate, that's for certain.

vecl

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
try a different wall outlet, that did it for me, mine also said usb when it was charging from wall outlet,and it was charging veeeeeeeery slow.

Coop1979

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
This might be a problem with the Nexus. I'm using a TouchPad charger (2 amp) and it charges in AC mode. If I drop it into my desktop dock or car dock, it only charges in USB mode.

I've tried several cables and car chargers, but none of them charge the Nexus in AC mode.

The same car charger will charge my Note 2 in AC, no problem.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

phstrat

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
if it's this slow on a wired charging, maybe the wireless inductive charging might rock your house and you can admire it while it sits on it's pedistal!!!!

willdogs

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
it say its charging on a USB when its plug on the wall .Is the something wrong with the phone ?

Whatever cord you are charging it with it not providing the expected power so it assumes it is connected to a computer via USB.

You need to use the charger that came with your phone, not all power supplies supply the proper power for your phone. Each is device has different power requirements. Just because the charger you are using charges one device doesn't mean it supplies enough power for another.

xcommando

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Not exactly sure if this will help, but from my first time experience after un-boxing and plugging my Nexus 4 into the provided charger it appeared to also be charging rather slow. In hindsight, I don't think it was charging at all however. I noticed that the charge icon was flickering at the top right and when I turned it completely off it wasn't a fluid charge animation either, it seemed to just constantly reset. Also, its supposed to enter daydream while its charging as well and wouldn't do that either. I assumed my charger or my phone was defective but then I unplugged the USB from the traveling charger port and reconnected it with my phone on the other end once or twice and then for some reason it started working correctly. Now my phone charges, and rather quickly for a mobile device. Though I also think the battery drains pretty fast as well, but it gets through my day and that's all I require.

user00265

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
+1

Takes just around three hours to charge to full from 7% here. Fairly decent to me. Never notice it.

Not exactly sure if this will help, but from my first time experience after un-boxing and plugging my Nexus 4 into the provided charger it appeared to also be charging rather slow. In hindsight, I don't think it was charging at all however. I noticed that the charge icon was flickering at the top right and when I turned it completely off it wasn't a fluid charge animation either, it seemed to just constantly reset. Also, its supposed to enter daydream while its charging as well and wouldn't do that either. I assumed my charger or my phone was defective but then I unplugged the USB from the traveling charger port and reconnected it with my phone on the other end once or twice and then for some reason it started working correctly. Now my phone charges, and rather quickly for a mobile device. Though I also think the battery drains pretty fast as well, but it gets through my day and that's all I require.

Settings > Display > Daydream > When to Daydream

Set it to "Either." It's enabled only for "When Docked" by default.