Nexus 4: with the total lack of customer service is it worth the wait any longer?

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This thread is not a complaint about the phone being back-ordered. It is rather a pressing question that I think is fair to raise. Since the time of my order for the Nexus 4 on 11/13/2012 I have been provided varying answers from Google Play Support Staff members regarding both the status and expected delivery date of my device, sent varying emails regarding my order status and seen varying updates to the Play Store order status.

I have been a long term fan of Google and at this point have all of my documents, data and information residing within their servers, I exclusively use their email, shared DNS servers on my network, use the Chromebook as my computer and the Nexus 7 tablet for all my computer needs along with the Google TV product. Up to this point I have fully trusted Google and been impressed with their business models. I am a firm believer that the Nexus program/project is technology changing and was the first to purchase a Nexus One back in 2010.

Since the inception of the Play Store I have not had a good experience in making a purchase all the way back to the now defunct Google Web Store and the N1. With all of the ventures Google has undertaken including Android, Nexus, Fiber, Computer, Drive, SEO among others has google placed itself into a position of being mediocre at everything they do and mastering nothing? Have they become too diversified? I personally hope not but am left wondering about the future. Can they be trusted with holding all my personal and financial data? Do I want to put all my eggs in one basket?

I am impressed with the specs of the Nexus 4 but when I consider what if I finally get a device and it is defective, will Google be able to provide me with any level of customer support? Or will I be left holding the basket by myself only to get varying answers and empty promises based upon who I speak with. There are many many choices of devices out on the market and this weekend there are deals galore. While not an Apple fan in any way shape or form I still have to admire the Customer Service model they exhibit from purchase through backing up their product line.

I have long been a Google supporter and a part of their loyal fan base. From all indications from this latest interaction they really can care less about my continued patronage of them or their company. If I delivered this type of customer service in my business I would not have any customers. And, before anyone posts about being spoiled and looking for immediate gratification I am close to 50 years old, I understand supply chain logistics better than most and service delivery failures. But, I ultimately am a cash paying consumer with a voice who chooses to patronize Google and recommend them to others. There are other companies vying and working to earn my business everyday and I am now left wondering if waiting on Google to deliver after 9 days of confusion and asking for a straight answer, whether that be that I am in a back-order for for a week or six months, just give me an solid answer makes waiting on Google to get their act together makes prudent sense?

I too am a supporter of Google. But, traditionally Google hasn't been a retailer. The impression I get is that they have not planned or prepared for retail and they are doing this as they go along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Richard Devine

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
If you're not prepared to wait for it then do you actually really want it? Or did you get swept up in the hype pre-launch?

There's a lot of great devices out there. No shame in having something else if you're not all in on wanting a Nexus 4

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Alsablo

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to find some information on experiences that people have had with Google customer service after buying a nexus device, but most of what I can find is people being upset that their phones took too long to be delivered during the crazy period where so many people were trying to buy a nexus device when they were first released.
That doesn't worry me so much, I'm more concerned with how it is for customers that have faulty devices or problems that they need help with.
I want to try a Google android device, and the only thing causing me to be concerned is that I can't find a simple phone number to call should I get a device and have a problem, need a replacement etc.
I know from experience with Apple that if something is wrong, it will be fixed or replaced within days, as it should be.
The thing is I don't want an iPhone. I have an ipad and mac, and love them, but for a phone I'd like to try android.
Can anyone tell me of their experience when having trouble with a Google device (not about delivery problems)
Or a good place to read some people's experiences of this. I want to know a number you would call, how it is dealt with by Google, etc.
I'm not sure why I can't find this when I Google search, I just keep ending up flickering around on the google help forums which would infuriate me if I had a Nexus device that was faulty, or that I really needed help with.
I feel like I might end up buying an iPhone even though that would be boring for me, just because of the certainty of good customer service.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
After hearing all the horror stories from people ordering their Nexus 4 from the Play Store, waiting an eternity, or having their pre-orders cancelled, it makes me happy that I found one on Kijiji( For those that don't know what Kijiji is, it's like Craig's List in Canada ).
I got my Nexus 4 brand new in the box from some dude that ordered it from Google Play but decided to stick with his iPhone. I even got a Case with it and I payed $350.00 cash!
For those Canadians out there that are thinking about ordering one from the Play Store. BEWARE! After all is said and done. THIS is what you will end up paying fo

Nexus 4 8GB $309.00 CAD
Shipping (Ground) $16.99 CAD
Tax $40.17 CAD
Brokerage $52.75 CAD

Total $418.91 CAD

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I ordered both my Nexus 4 and my Nexus 7 from Google play and paid no brokerage fees on either of them. Not sure where you got your information from.

And yes I'm in Canada.

Alsablo

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I did a search of the forum for 'google customer service experience' and couldn't find anything, and this thread was the closest to it, so I thought it would be a suitable place to ask, it's hardly an ancient thread, and I think it's better than starting a new thread to ask my questions.
There's no need to respond if you don't like what I've said. In fact it's better if you said nothing.
I can go to the google play website and flick through the help pages which as I said would be irritating to me if I had a faulty device that I needed help with.
I want to know about the procedure that people have encountered when calling google on the phone for help, how they deal with it etc.
Do they want you to send your device off for weeks to be repaired or offer to send you a working device immediately.
Are they helpful, knowledgable about the products, polite, efficient.
I always check these things before buying anything significant.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I did a search of the forum for 'google customer service experience' and couldn't find anything, and this thread was the closest to it, so I thought it would be a suitable place to ask, it's hardly an ancient thread, and I think it's better than starting a new thread to ask my questions.
There's no need to respond if you don't like what I've said. In fact it's better if you said nothing.
I can go to the google play website and flick through the help pages which as I said would be irritating to me if I had a faulty device that I needed help with.
I want to know about the procedure that people have encountered when calling google on the phone for help, how they deal with it etc.
Do they want you to send your device off for weeks to be repaired or offer to send you a working device immediately.
Are they helpful, knowledgable about the products, polite, efficient.
I always check these things before buying anything significant.

3 months is ancient, bud. I take it this is your first forum. Anyways your questions are off topic from this thread anyways (maybe you haven't read through it). You're going to get more help from creating your own specific thread, that's my suggestion. I'm giving you, a newbie, helpful advice. But, good luck to you :)

Hint: Search is your friend.

Alsablo

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
No, it's not my first forum. In my experience its tedious when people keep making new threads to ask one question, when there is a thread already that is close enough in title, as with this one. (It's about customer service from Google). The title of the thread may be about delivery times, but it's still about customer service by Google and it isn't too much of a deviation to enquire about other areas of that same customer service. Perhaps if you think that threads a whole 12 weeks old are too old to ever be posted on again, you should speak to android central about removing threads after a couple of weeks or something.
And why would I search for nexus 4 warranty. I want to know about the way people have been treated when calling with device problems, not what the nexus 4 warranty is.
But thanks anyway. I appreciate your reply. I won't ask anything else here.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I ordered both my Nexus 4 and my Nexus 7 from Google play and paid no brokerage fees on either of them. Not sure where you got your information from.

And yes I'm in Canada.

Brokerage doesn't always happen. It is really a crap shoot. Something as small as the nexus 4 and 7 may just be passed by without issues.
BUT it's something you have to take into consideraiton. Because you may

galatians51

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the OP's opinion. He is fair and balanced, which is (sadly) a breath of fresh air in a forum environment.

I work in a manufacturing environment in which there is a high level of accountability for on time delivery and quality metrics. These are not easy to hit, and it takes a daily level of dedication and planning to hit the weekly and monthly metrics. I cannot imagine the upset if we were suddenly asked to deliver a virtual product instead of a physical one.

Google is attempting to deliver on manufactured finished goods items, and doing so through numerous third party vendors. I believe they have nailed the design aspects and the software side. However, their supply chain management and Customer Care divisions need some serious help. They will get there, but need some time to do so. It doesn't happen overnight as it is a completely different paradigm than they are used to dealing with.

I have mentioned in other posts my preference for purchasing my Nexus 4 from T-Mobile at a brick and mortar site. I consider the higher price a convenience fee, but I am of the belief that it is much harder to say no to a customer with an issue if they are standing right in front of you. If anything is wrong with my N4 I will get a replacement that same day. Same thing with my N7- I bought it at Wal-Mart. Why? Because they will exchange it immediately if I have an issue. They are used to dealing with physical products.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the OP's opinion. He is fair and balanced, which is (sadly) a breath of fresh air in a forum environment.

I work in a manufacturing environment in which there is a high level of accountability for on time delivery and quality metrics. These are not easy to hit, and it takes a daily level of dedication and planning to hit the weekly and monthly metrics. I cannot imagine the upset if we were suddenly asked to deliver a virtual product instead of a physical one.

Google is attempting to deliver on manufactured finished goods items, and doing so through numerous third party vendors. I believe they have nailed the design aspects and the software side. However, their supply chain management and Customer Care divisions need some serious help. They will get there, but need some time to do so. It doesn't happen overnight as it is a completely different paradigm than they are used to dealing with.

I have mentioned in other posts my preference for purchasing my Nexus 4 from T-Mobile at a brick and mortar site. I consider the higher price a convenience fee, but I am of the belief that it is much harder to say no to a customer with an issue if they are standing right in front of you. If anything is wrong with my N4 I will get a replacement that same day. Same thing with my N7- I bought it at Wal-Mart. Why? Because they will exchange it immediately if I have an issue. They are used to dealing with physical products.

Very well put.

Google is still new to this selling of products thing. Hopefully this is all a test and the launch and retail experience for Glass will be on point.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Brokerage doesn't always happen. It is really a crap shoot. Something as small as the nexus 4 and 7 may just be passed by without issues.
BUT it's something you have to take into consideraiton. Because you may

My understanding was that google was picking up the duty/customs fees, etc. on these items. Do you know of anyone in Canada who had to pay brokerage fees on a nexus 4/7/10 ordered from google?

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Don't think of yourself as a Google customer but as a Google product. Their business model is to monitor your activities and sell that data to advertisers. That should help you understand why their customer service is so poor. You aren't a customer. The people they sell ads to are their customers.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Don't think of yourself as a Google customer but as a Google product. Their business model is to monitor your activities and sell that data to advertisers. That should help you understand why their customer service is so poor. You aren't a customer. The people they sell ads to are their customers.

Doesn't explain to me how their customer service is so good.

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I'll agree that Google's customer service does need a lot of improvement. I'm in the process of trying ot RMA a Nexus 4 and the process has not been smooth in my opinion.

I ended up ordering 2 nexus 4's that arrived on Friday the 22nd. The wife and I took them to the AT&T store to get new sim cards and to get the contacts moved from the old phones to the new Nexus 4's. From the start the phone that I was going to use was having issues. It took a while before they were able to get it to connect (bunch of tries over 10 to 15 minutes) to the wifi in the store and could not get it to use mobile data at all.

I had them go ahead and start working on the wife's phone; since they were having trouble with mine; and they didn't have any issues with her's except for getting her contacts moved.

They went back to mine and finally got the phone to connect to wifi and had me log into my gmail account for setup. This worked but then I could not get the google play store to work. It would give me an error message stating that I had to relog onto my google account. We turned off wifi and mobile data would not work with the play store; but would pull down some web pages (most would error out with permission denied).

After almost 2 hours in the store; I went home and while on the phone with Play Store support; I was told to do a factory reset; I did this and started through the process of entering all the information again. At the wifi screen; it would not connect to the wifi in the house (wifes phone connected with no issues); I tried skipping the wifi and it would not connect to google's servers using mobile data. After spending 20 minutes trying; I finally told the customer service rep that I want to RMA the phone and get a replacement sent.

This was Saturday evening (the 23rd) and so far I've had 8 e-mails going back and forth; with them asking what router I was using and trying to blame the router as to why it wouldn't connect to wifi; until I pointed out that the other phone connects just fine. I was also promised that I'll get an answer that day as to if they will RMA the phone and send a replacement.

It is starting to get to the point to where if I don't get authorization to RMA the phone soon; that I'm going to dispute the charge with my credit card company. It should not take this long to get me an RMA number so that the phone can be returned and have a replacement phone sent. Because right now all I have is a 350 dollar paper weight on my desk.

It also doesn't help that everything is being done via e-mail so that there are long delays in getting replys.

So in my opinion; Google needs to do a better job at the customer service experience; or they will end up loosing customers.

Psy

musichem

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone tell me of their experience when having trouble with a Google device (not about delivery problems)
Or a good place to read some people's experiences of this. I want to know a number you would call, how it is dealt with by Google, etc.
I'm not sure why I can't find this when I Google search, I just keep ending up flickering around on the google help forums which would infuriate me if I had a Nexus device that was faulty, or that I really needed help with.
I feel like I might end up buying an iPhone even though that would be boring for me, just because of the certainty of good customer service.

I recently posted my experience with obtaining a warranty replacement here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/254433-n4-design-flaw-my-n4-order-delivery-replacement-timeline.html It didn't get any traction. But you can see how many days it took me to get an RMA and a replacement.

I did get the replacement, and it has the same issue as the first phone. So I guess I'm just going to live with the problem (see other thread), since I do not want to buy a phone with a contract, and everything else about this phone is great.

Once you buy the phone, you can view your order and there is a link to a phone number for customer service. I did get friendly service, though not the answer that I was looking for. But in the follow up emails, I was passed up the line to someone who was able to handle my situation to my satisfaction--so far. I guess I'll post a final update when I either return a phone or sell it, even though no one seemed interested. Gotta decide real soon now.

As far as getting taken to task for resurrecting an old thread... I follow a thread on avsforum.com that is 9 *years* old, and still gets new posts periodically. Don't let one unhelpful contributor drive you away. There are plenty more helpful folks around.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
But thanks anyway. I appreciate your reply. I won't ask anything else here.
Don't ever feel bad or out of place about asking a question here at Android Central. Even if it appears to be a little out of place for a certain thread topic the worst thing that will happen is one of the moderators will come along and recommend or point you to a more suited thread for your question.

I hope you find the answer to your questions. ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc