Dropped my nexus 4 on its face on ceramic tile

Tinmania

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Way would a reasonably intelligent person assume buying a case for this hard to obtain device is easy or quick? :)

The bumper was sold out along with the phone within minutes and my case order from another company on Amazon is taking forever to get here.

Michael
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Honest question and I'm really not trying to troll but i have to ask...

Why would want reasonably intelligent person in their right mind buy a phone that has glass on both sides and NOT PUT A CASE ON IT!?!?!

Because its like having a Ferrari, which is nice and beautiful then putting a bull bar on it to protect it from Kangaroo's... now that will just look ugly. Do you kinda get my comparison. The Nexus four looks beautiful with glass on both sides, why cover that beauty.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Honest question and I'm really not trying to troll but i have to ask...

Why would want reasonably intelligent person in their right mind buy a phone that has glass on both sides and NOT PUT A CASE ON IT!?!?!

Assurion only allows 2 replacements a year and if the phone is dropped twice, you're screwed. Why not protect your investment?

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

I ordered a case a week before the Nexus 4 went on sale and still don't have it.

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I ordered a case a week before the Nexus 4 went on sale and still don't have it.

I ordered a case from Ebay, it was $3.99 shipped from China .
It took a little longer than a week, and I wasnt able to get a phone. lol
I'll get one next round.
I always use a case and a military grade screensaver because I'm clumsy.

;)

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Ah i see your point guys.

Cases aren't available.

That's silly.

A phone comes out, sells out within minutes, yet there aren't any cases available for it

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

SteveMW

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Cool story bro.

My little cousin dropped my Nokia Lumia 920 and it made a hole in the world.

On paper the Lumia 920 doesn't seem like it would be much heavier than a normal (i.e., non-Windows) phone.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
The thing kills me, something that I've been having a headache trying to understand, is why all I hear is glass glass glass glass why wouldn't you cover the glass. Its like everyone is more concerned with the glass than the phone. If you drop your phone, you have a great chance of the phone actually ceasing to operate. What does shattered glass matter at that point? Some have even criticized Google for the design, after what happened to people's iPhones. o_O lol So because some people are clumsy and because some had accidents, Google is supposed to make a left turn? Anything short of steel has a good chance of cracking or breaking if the fall is good enough. The way people talk, its as if they're saying having glass on the back guarantees you'll break it.

jian9007

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad I haven't dropped mine yet. I bet it will be so bad I'll have to buy a new phone.

Does anyone know if Tmobile's insurance covers this phone?

If you bought the phone through T-Mobile you can get their insurance (which is through Assurion) for $7.99/month for the PHP (premium handset protection) bundle. Deductible on Nexus 4 is $130 if you need it replaced/repaired. If you bought it through the Play Store I don't believe they offer it, but they might. You can just log into your account and see if it gives you the option to add it.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I am lucky that my N4 survived two drops onto tile unscathed. Both were from sliding off of my iPad, which is now prohibited from having any contact with it.

You do know that the Nexus 4 didn't " slide off" the iPad... It was PUSHED! :eek:

The iPad is trying to kill your Nexus, lol! :D

If I were you, I wouldn't leave them alone together...

Sent from my Nexus 7

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't have mine in a case because I don't drop my phones. It's not all that hard to keep from doing really. However, it did walk off the desk this afternoon. It just slid onto carpet which was nice and soft so no damage. I knew it was slippery , but I didn't know it was that slippery. There is an ever so slight tilt to the edge of the desk that is pretty much imperceptible, but that was enough for gravity to slide it off. The back really is like a frictionless surface.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
THIS JUST IN: EARLY NEXUS 4's ARE MENTALLY UNSTABLE AND SUICIDAL.

ENCASE THEM IN STRAIGHT JACKETS (aka cases) IMMEDIATELY BEFORE THEY DO HARM TO THEMSELVES. ;)

:D

Sent from my Nexus 7

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't have mine in a case because I don't drop my phones. It's not all that hard to keep from doing really. However, it did walk off the desk this afternoon. It just slid onto carpet which was nice and soft so no damage. I knew it was slippery , but I didn't know it was that slippery. There is an ever so slight tilt to the edge of the desk that is pretty much imperceptible, but that was enough for gravity to slide it off. The back really is like a frictionless surface.

That's what they all say until they drop it.

In an incident like you described, it could have just as easily been a hard floor and you could be working with a shattered screen or back.

I've made a mint fixing phones for people like you.

God bless you!

4walls

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Dropped my nexus 4 on its face in the parking lot

I was not as fortunate as most. It was Christmas eve and I was getting out of my car when the phone slipped out of my hand, bounced off the car door and down onto the parking lot surface. I picked it up and saw the damage immediately. The bottom right corner impacted the pavement and it shattered the screen all the way across and up on an angle to the midway point vertically. The phone was locked at the time, the power and volume buttons still worked but the screen is totally unresponsive!

I called LG Canada because the manual that came with the phone said LG does all the warranty work. I was not expecting them to cover accidental damage under warranty but I was expecting them to be able to repair it. "Where did you buy the phone? " was the question from LG. I told them I bought it from Google. "We don't support devices bought on the internet from places like eBay, etc" they told me.

I informed them that Google is the only one selling this phone (in Canada). And the warranty manual said LG is the service contract. LG refused to help me.

So next option is to try and find a number for Google online. This is not the easiest thing to do. I was able to find a number for Google Play Store and called that one. From there the operator was able to transfer me to support for devices. The operator was very friendly and connected me to Samsung support/repair. Needless to say, Samsung couldn't help me. I called Google devices back and got the same operator who apologized and connected me to Asus who she said, "does all Nexus repairs." Guess what, they only support the Nexus 7. Not surprised, I said ok, I will call Google again. This time I got a different operator who put me through to LG Mobile in Texas. A quick conversation with them and an email sent to my address explained how to ship my phone in for a repair estimate.

Then I had a thought...what about my visa card? They have automatic extended warranty on all purchases up to one additional year. I called them and asked if they covered accidental damage as well. Turns out they do, for 90 days from the date of purchase. My phone is only 2 weeks old so it looks like I won't have to pay for the repairs (assuming it can be repaired).

NoAck

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Dropped my nexus 4 on its face in the parking lot

I was not as fortunate as most. It was Christmas eve and I was getting out of my car when the phone slipped out of my hand, bounced off the car door and down onto the parking lot surface. I picked it up and saw the damage immediately. The bottom right corner impacted the pavement and it shattered the screen all the way across and up on an angle to the midway point vertically. The phone was locked at the time, the power and volume buttons still worked but the screen is totally unresponsive!

I called LG Canada because the manual that came with the phone said LG does all the warranty work. I was not expecting them to cover accidental damage under warranty but I was expecting them to be able to repair it. "Where did you buy the phone? " was the question from LG. I told them I bought it from Google. "We don't support devices bought on the internet from places like eBay, etc" they told me.

I informed them that Google is the only one selling this phone (in Canada). And the warranty manual said LG is the service contract. LG refused to help me.

So next option is to try and find a number for Google online. This is not the easiest thing to do. I was able to find a number for Google Play Store and called that one. From there the operator was able to transfer me to support for devices. The operator was very friendly and connected me to Samsung support/repair. Needless to say, Samsung couldn't help me. I called Google devices back and got the same operator who apologized and connected me to Asus who she said, "does all Nexus repairs." Guess what, they only support the Nexus 7. Not surprised, I said ok, I will call Google again. This time I got a different operator who put me through to LG Mobile in Texas. A quick conversation with them and an email sent to my address explained how to ship my phone in for a repair estimate.

Then I had a thought...what about my visa card? They have automatic extended warranty on all purchases up to one additional year. I called them and asked if they covered accidental damage as well. Turns out they do, for 90 days from the date of purchase. My phone is only 2 weeks old so it looks like I won't have to pay for the repairs (assuming it can be repaired).

Great news. Good to know.

mth785

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I love the look of my Nexus 4 but unless I'm in my bed playing with it, it is always in its cheap diztronic case.

Doooshty

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
My company has Asurion through Verizon for the phones that everybody else has (I refuse to use Verizon) and they haven't been exactly cooperative. They sent a replacement for a phone that was having issues with the WiFi, so we sent the phone in... the phone that came back had dead pixels on the screen, so we called Asurion and explained this, they said that it was their bad and they'd replace it no problem... next thing we know, our warranty was dropped on the device because we had two replacements in one year, even though they assured us that the dead pixel phone was not going to count towards this. This, aside from the fact that you cannot just get it anytime, it has to be within 14 days of getting the device and you have to go through your providers' support.

I personally had SquareTrade and they were pretty good about replacing without much fuss... they even cover things that others do not in their warranty.

I've always used Worth Ave Group. $50 a year, $50 deductible, unlimited claims.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85