I want my Dad's Phone

ctechnow

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
On Thanksgiving I got to play with my Dad's new HTC Droid DNA and it was 10x better all around than my Galaxy Nexus. I have a Nexus 4 on back order right now but I am strongly considering canceling for the DNA. Its only a hair taller but seems like a better thinner design with a superb screen and camera than the Nexus 4. The only thing I would miss after I disabled HTC Sense (the skin) is getting updates on time directly from Google. Has anone else seen this thing!?

Matt Beaulne

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
On Thanksgiving I got to play with my Dad's new HTC Droid DNA and it was 10x better all around than my Galaxy Nexus. I have a Nexus 4 on back order right now but I am strongly considering canceling for the DNA. Its only a hair taller but seems like a better thinner design with a superb screen and camera than the Nexus 4. The only thing I would miss after I disabled HTC Sense (the skin) is getting updates on time directly from Google. Has anone else seen this thing!?

IMHO always go with a pure google phone. those overlays are useless and don't do android justice.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

The Droid DNA and Nexus 4 will not run on the same network, I'm not sure how you're comparing a Verizon-exclusive device with a GSM/HSPA+ device.

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
It does? No doubting you, as I've done little research about it, but I thought it was a Verizon specific model.

Yes, it is exclusively sold through Verizon, but it does in fact have a GSM mode.

That said, and this is coming from a long time die hard HTC fan, but I don't have the same support for them as I used to. I Can't really say why that is either, because they definitely make high quality phones, especially the build quality. I wish Google would bring them back to the Nexus line, because an HTC built phone with on time updates is tops. And while the general consensus is that Sense is the best Android skin out there, as far as what it adds to stock, I just don't like its usability. It actually slows down the phone, and its "multitasking" still leaves a taste of dirt in my mouth. I don't know why these phone screens keep getting bigger either. I don't know where I'm going with all this, but yea I would take the nexus over the DNA.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm never buying a phone under a 2 year contract again. I have the Nexus 4 and will be finishing up my contract with it then switching. If you plan on buying the DNA without the 2 year agreement and thats what you want go for it but if your gonna be doing the 2 year contract I wouldn't do it.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If you're going to use the DNA on a GSM network, then I assume you're buying it outright? You could buy 2 Nexus 4's for that price.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it is exclusively sold through Verizon, but it does in fact have a GSM mode.

That said, and this is coming from a long time die hard HTC fan, but I don't have the same support for them as I used to. I Can't really say why that is either, because they definitely make high quality phones, especially the build quality. I wish Google would bring them back to the Nexus line, because an HTC built phone with on time updates is tops. And while the general consensus is that Sense is the best Android skin out there, as far as what it adds to stock, I just don't like its usability. It actually slows down the phone, and its "multitasking" still leaves a taste of dirt in my mouth. I don't know why these phone screens keep getting bigger either. I don't know where I'm going with all this, but yea I would take the nexus over the DNA.

Slows the phone down? Multi tasking issues? You must be thinking of the One X on that.

The DNA isn't a One X. Better processor, newer sense, and twice the RAM.

Completely different phone.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I never understood why so many people go on and on about htc build quality when their battery doors break, charging ports stop working, and their batteries lose a large percentage of their charge after the first year.

I'm fact, when i got rid of my evo 4g the battery door didn't hold together well, the charge port stopped working, their included cable stopped charging for no reason and the battery would only last 1-2 hours.

I don't know anyone with that phone that has a great working one unless they bought it later on and those that did that have a totally different set of issues

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

fredwardnelson

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm never buying a phone under a 2 year contract again. I have the Nexus 4 and will be finishing up my contract with it then switching. If you plan on buying the DNA without the 2 year agreement and thats what you want go for it but if your gonna be doing the 2 year contract I wouldn't do it.

That's my story! I'll never do another contract again. We eeeeee are never ever ever... getting back together!

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I never understood why so many people go on and on about htc build quality when their battery doors break, charging ports stop working, and their batteries lose a large percentage of their charge after the first year.

I'm fact, when i got rid of my evo 4g the battery door didn't hold together well, the charge port stopped working, their included cable stopped charging for no reason and the battery would only last 1-2 hours.

I don't know anyone with that phone that has a great working one unless they bought it later on and those that did that have a totally different set of issues

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Any phone battery door can break if you break it. That doesn't mean HTC doesn't have high build quality. It sure as hell is much higher quality then Samsung.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Any phone battery door can break if you break it. That doesn't mean HTC doesn't have high build quality. It sure as hell is much higher quality then Samsung.

That's just being silly.

Samsung has better build quality. I have a Samsung instinct (aka Samsung, it stinks) and the charging port, oe charger, battery door are still in working order. The phone just isn't good, but great build quality.

The gs3 is very well built. High quality phone that's slim AND lightweight. No feeling like the battery door work break at any time because it isn't stiff like the evo door. The material works well.

Look at evo lte and one x owners, many are already complaining about the fame things. That isn't a result of good build quality

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
That's just being silly.

Samsung has better build quality. I have a Samsung instinct (aka Samsung, it stinks) and the charging port, oe charger, battery door are still in working order. The phone just isn't good, but great build quality.

The gs3 is very well built. High quality phone that's slim AND lightweight. No feeling like the battery door work break at any time because it isn't stiff like the evo door. The material works well.

Look at evo lte and one x owners, many are already complaining about the fame things. That isn't a result of good build quality

When people go on about the HTC "high build quality," they're usually referring to aesthetics (metal instead of plastic, etc).

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
That's just being silly.

What part is silly? You're speaking as if having an HTC phone will end up with broken parts, battery doors, charging ports, etc, none of which has ever happened to me after owning several of their phones. You can never base the whole on a subset of the people. But Samsung is known for going the cheap route with materials, its a fact.

HTCTundaBow

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I played with the DNA at my Verizon store today, and with the Nexus 4 at a Tmobile store today. Here's what I got from both of the phones. . .

- The DNA has a good screen, but my eyesight is pretty bad, so I really couldn't tell a difference in screen quality between the two. No, I didn't have them side by side, but the DNA didn't "WOW" me like I thought it would.

- The DNA has some lag that the Nexus doesn't. The Nexus was VERY snappy. The DNA's speed felt blehhh. This is coming from a HTC Thunderbolt user currently.

- The DNA felt better in the hand than the Nexus (Very surprising). I loved the way it felt.

- Last, the camera was a little better with the DNA

Needless to say, I'm still going to wait on the Nexus. The DNA isn't worth the 2 year contract, and losing my Unlimited data.