Porting number to T-Mobile

jamjr74

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Ive tried on 2 separate occasions to port from verizon to tmobile and waited several days each time with no luck. On both occasions I canceled my tmobile account and stayed with Verizon. Tmobile's customer service is a joke.

kotbn18

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I did it in the store idk if that makes a difference. But while thing was done in about 15 mins. Hassle free too.

Sent from my underrated galaxy s blaze 4g

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Ive tried on 2 separate occasions to port from verizon to tmobile and waited several days each time with no luck. On both occasions I canceled my tmobile account and stayed with Verizon. Tmobile's customer service is a joke.

Sounds more like VZW isn't releasing your number for some reason. If you really want to leave, consider calling VZW to make sure that there's nothing on your account that would prevent you from porting.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I didn't have luck porting mine from Verizon. I didn't call to see why but at&t told my girlfriend that we had to cancel Verizon first before they port the number. Made zero sense to me since cancelling I always thought you would lose your number and everything.

In the end we just got new numbers to avoid the hassle and the runaround we were getting.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Definitely don't cancel your existing number first. You will almost certainly lose it.

FWIW, I ported two numbers from Sprint to TMo without issues. One was done in a TMo corporate store and was fully functional in 4 hours or so. The other was over the phone with CS and was functional within 12 hours. As suggested earlier, this may be a problem on Verizon's end.

kotbn18

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
You know ever since Verizon started theses share plans last year they lost a lot of customers. Me included and releasing your number is their choice. Totally sucks. I'll bet they are just trying to keep you because most people hate changing numbers.

Sent from my underrated galaxy s blaze 4g

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
LOL seems this thread has less to do with T-Mo than it does Vzw.

Under the law they are obligated to allow you to take your number to another carrier. Verizon may have some sort of "notification" requirement for your protection to keep others from slamming you onto a service you do not want or cloning your number... Just a guess.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I didn't have luck porting mine from Verizon. I didn't call to see why but at&t told my girlfriend that we had to cancel Verizon first before they port the number. Made zero sense to me since cancelling I always thought you would lose your number and everything.

Yes you will lose your number if you cancel first. When the port goes through your Verizon account will be cancelled automatically. You don't need to do anything, other than give an explaination to the Verizon CS agent who calls to see why you cancelled your service. :-$

GKWANNABE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I agree about their customer service. Well, at first their customer service seemed WAY better than any other customer service I have dealt with. After a few weeks I realized they didn't care much or knew much of what was going on with porting my number over. It has been 21 days already since I first requested my phone number from Verizon to be ported over to TMobile. I've been calling and calling numerous times and each time they would say that they see that my Verizon number is "Active" oon my account. I tell them its obvious it is not if I am calling about it. I cancelled my verizon account as my contract was done. That same day I canceled it, is the same day I requested my number to be ported over.
About 5 days earlier I had activated my Google Nexus 4 on TMobile and was given a temporary number. Well, as of the writing of this post, I still have the temporary phone number and my verizon number hasn't been ported over. They cont to tell me they show the number I am requesting to port over as Active. Well, its not! They even Rebroadcasted 3 times and nothing happend. Does Technical Support or their Number-Data transfer Reps know what they are doing or talking about? I think not. I even told one of them that they should be glad they took a customer from the #1 Network in the U.S.- Verizon. The female rep didn't seem like she cared. I might just go back to Verizon if it doesn't happen in one week. Thats it. I had high hopes for TMobile when I switched. Too bad I wont be able to get my grandfathered UNL everything on Verizon when and If I do switch back. Sorry a$$ TMobile.
I'm glad those of you who successfully had your numbers ported over rather rapidly, didn't have to go through this pain. I've had my number for years and everything and anyone I know has that number. It would be more of a hassle for me to give everyone one my temp number than it should have been to port my number over.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Wait - you canceled your Verizon account before the number got transferred? Odds are THAT'S the problem. You have to wait for the transfer to take place, then the old account is automatically canceled.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Anybody else waiting for phone number to port to T-Mobile. I signed up for the $30 per month plan on the website and it said it may take up to 24 hours for my phone number to be ported over and they would send a text message when it has. Well it has been over 48 hours and still no text and my calls still come through on my old phone. WTH :(

Hi,

I had to go back and tell them to port it again. It's like the forgot.

Once they put the second request in, it took a few hours.

nb

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I was really surprised that I didn't have any problems. A couple of years ago, we decided to use Ooma and tried to port our number without sucess. We had to change from our old number. 6 months later Ooma had too many problems so we switched the unit to Obi110n and again had to get a new number (from Google Voice). No more problems with that, but we did lose contact with some folks and it was a real p.i.t.a.. to get squared away.

However with our Nexus 4's, no problemo. My wife had AT&T and I had Verizon. The main problems with both of therm was that we didn't know our account number since were were on pay by the minute plays. The folks at at&t and Vzn were very nice and patient. The folks at TMobile were foreign, but still very nice and patient. We were very happy and the numbers were ported in less than 24 hours

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Since I had posted on this thread a coupla months ago, I suppose I should follow-up. I was moving from Sprint to TMO's $30 plan.and concerned I was going to have problems porting over my number because I was on my brother's family plan.

Turned out not to be a problem. I activated the TMO account with a new/temporary number. (I'd called their customer service to ask if that was ok, because I was anticipating a problem and didn't want that to screw up the activation). So I got the new number, and then called customer service to port over my old number. The only glitch was that I didn't know my brother's PIN # (and either did he!) but they accepted his secondary question. The rep warned me it could take up to a day for the system to refresh itself or some other explanation that I can't remember. It ended up porting over within 2-3 hours. :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay