Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I must say that porting my number over from vz went seamlessly in about 30 mins. Did it on the st website...no phone call.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I don't think they do but generally I've noticed a better signal with the AT&T SIM but slower network speeds.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

yeah, att signal is a lot better than tmo. multiple places that my friend's att phone gets full bar, but i have no service. going to miss the hspa+ 42 speed, but what good is it if I have no signal? I'm getting 3-6 mps now, which is about 5x slower than tmo, but still 10x faster than sprint. haha.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I must say that porting my number over from vz went seamlessly in about 30 mins. Did it on the st website...no phone call.

yeah, this is something I should had done in the beginning, porting my number directly to straight talk from sprint instead of Google voice. initial porting to Google voice took about a day, then now another day to straight talk. plus I wasted $20 for the initial porting to gv. the porting still not done, I can call ppl, but incoming calls are still going thru Google voice. I really like Google voice, but not able to get mms and group messages are annoying.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The straight talk port for me took less than ten mins. Set it up online and got a call from them seriously one minute later to let me know that my port should be complete in 5 hours. couple mins later I got a text saying it was complete. Brilliant.

Examiner19

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't think they do but generally I've noticed a better signal with the AT&T SIM but slower network speeds.

+1 I just popped in the ST AT&T card today and noticed much better signal in my office...but slower speeds. 3mbits down is good enough for me since I'm on Wifi most of the time. I will test it out for a while, but would prefer better coverage with acceptable speeds vs. better speeds with spotty (mostly indoor) coverage.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm using my N4 on Straight Talk. But since I ported my number to Google Voice a few months ago, I didn't have to worry about what phone number they gave me. It's amusing to have both my S3 and N4 rin simultaneously. :)

TheMovieStar

May 17, 2010
Visit site
+1 I just popped in the ST AT&T card today and noticed much better signal in my office...but slower speeds. 3mbits down is good enough for me since I'm on Wifi most of the time. I will test it out for a while, but would prefer better coverage with acceptable speeds vs. better speeds with spotty (mostly indoor) coverage.

I agree. I really want the faster data speeds, which is why I'm going through this testing in anticipation of dumping Sprint. Problem is I live in the city and T-Mobile's signal doesn't seem to penetrate the buildings well enough. Sprint's network is just too slow and their LTE network is taking forever. Besides, I can't use my shiny new Nexus 4 on Sprint.

DizkoDan

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a question: My att contract expires on Feb 4. Should I contact Straight talk on the 5th for porting my number and starting over with them to make sure I don't concur any early termination fees from att? I want to be sure att does not remove my number immediately once my contract is up.
You need to port the number BEFORE you terminate your contract. Porting will terminate it. So, you're likely gonna be on the hook for an additional month's bill, or an ETF depending on when you do it.

Examiner19

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I really want the faster data speeds, which is why I'm going through this testing in anticipation of dumping Sprint. Problem is I live in the city and T-Mobile's signal doesn't seem to penetrate the buildings well enough. Sprint's network is just too slow and their LTE network is taking forever. Besides, I can't use my shiny new Nexus 4 on Sprint.

I'm coming from Sprint, too. Even the "acceptable" ST AT&T speeds are worlds ahead of Sprint. I am so happy to be away from them.

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Don't mess with them if you're on T-Mobile, the sim card will preset everything properly [...]
My T-Mobile straighttalk sim gave me APN settings as if I was signed up with T-Mobile. i.e. it has an address of ecp.tmobile.com and other settings.

I had to manually enter create an APN and enter in the settings StraightTalk says to use.

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
So I finally got Straighttalk T-Mobile sim activated.

I'm using the APN settings that Straighttalk says to use in their activation kit, but left out the proxy so speedtest would work and whatnot.

So far speeds have been pretty decent...

Getting 10.5 down / 1.5 up where I live.
Here at work, I'm getting about 15.5 down and 3.5 up.

I'm only seeing a H icon in the notification area. Should I be seeing H+ ?

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
So I finally got Straighttalk T-Mobile sim activated.

I'm using the APN settings that Straighttalk says to use in their activation kit, but left out the proxy so speedtest would work and whatnot.

So far speeds have been pretty decent...

Getting 10.5 down / 1.5 up where I live.
Here at work, I'm getting about 15.5 down and 3.5 up.

I'm only seeing a H icon in the notification area. Should I be seeing H+ ?

Stock Android only shows H. If you go to About Phone > Status it will say whether its H+ or not

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm coming from Sprint, too. Even the "acceptable" ST AT&T speeds are worlds ahead of Sprint. I am so happy to be away from them.

yup, same thing here. anything is better than sprint data service. They can advertise all they want about their unlimited data, but with speed like that, I would much rather have a data cap at 5 or even 2 gig that will give me a decent speed.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you could just ask some people who work in your building if htey have AT&T and how well it works inside. That may be an easier option.

I was giving t mobile a try and their signal didn't work in my large office building. I want to try straight talk att but don't want to burn another $45 to learn they can't get a signal either. Do they offer a two day trial or anything?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Stock Android only shows H. If you go to About Phone > Status it will say whether its H+ or not

Finally got mine up and running perfectly. The trick for me: power off both phones and then power up the Nexus 4 and then the ATT service kicked in.
Regarding the quote above: Mine reads 'Mobile network state> HSPA+: 15'. What does the 15 indicate?

Rbower

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
ST is crippling the out of my N4, I can sometimes get data speeds upwards of 6mbps but usually I can only get way under half a mbps. Also data decides to quit working at random times even though it still shows connection and it worked fine with my Att postpaid sim. From the looks of it there is no real solution to this problem, unless you take it offline with their reps BS..

0ptimusv

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Are any of you guys with AT&T micro sim cards getting HSPA+ or HSPA10? You can find out by going to SETTINGS>>ABOUT PHONE>>STATUS>>MOBILE NETWORK TYPE.

Karrott9

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

I'm looking to switch to ST from T-mobile classic plan. I'm still under contract however and it'll cost me $200 ETF... Is ST worth the switch? Can I still use wifi on ST and not be threatened to have my service terminated? Download apps and everything from Play and Amazon?