Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if anyone is currently using their Nexus4 on ST and if so, what type of data speeds are they getting?

user00265

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

I'm wondering if anyone is currently using their Nexus4 on ST and if so, what type of data speeds are they getting?

It varies a LOT by areas and wether you choose AT&T or T-Mobile for your SIM with ST... it seems that T-Mobile is the top dog wherever they support 4G most of the time, over AT&T... there's a thread already in this same forum that they're not talking just about T-Mobile, but more so comparing different areas.

alc2077

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I am using a N4 on ST(at&t SIM) and the speeds do vary based on area, my highest DL speeds so far has been 6.6Mbps & upload speed is 1.08Mbps which is sufficient for my needs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-25-00-55-15.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-25-00-55-15.png
    109.6 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:

WCAL_Thrasher

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I'm using AT&T ST and so far I haven't been that thrilled with them. My data speeds have been under one megabyte (up and down). I have good coverage in my area and have tried various APN settings, including the one that came with the SIM.

I've called customer support three times and so far they haven't been able to fix the issue. I'm trying T-mobile Monthly 4G next month. I tested their data speeds at one of their stores in my area and download speeds were around 20 MB. Coming from Sprint, I just want to see decent data speeds...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

jimmycinla

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Just for comparison, i just did a speedtest on my Galaxy S with a S.T. T-mobile SIM, 12.33 down / 2.24 up.

J.

jimmycinla

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

I've been using it on Solavei! I've been experiencing great speeds! Don't even miss my Verizon Gnex! $49 for unlimited talk, text, data is great especially cause your using T-mobiles's network! [/url]

Straight Talk is $42 a month with a 3 month card for the same unlimited Tmo service.

-

palmwebosfan

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site

Me too. AT&T ST and getting around 3MB download with 1 MB up. Not blazing, but faster than my typical Verizon 3G speeds on my GNEX. Almost never turned on LTE because of battery drain. Have yet to drop a call on AT&T ST which is amazing to me as well. Would gladly go to TMO, but I need the larger network of AT&T.

S_C_B

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site

I have been using ST(AT&T) for the past four months, and I use the Nexus 4. I just ran a speed test and I got 3.22 Mbps down. That's about normal for me. Sometimes I'll get between 5 and 7 down. I just ordered a T-Mobile activation kit, so I can see how that HSPA+ 42 network is.

Freak.A.Droid

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

I've been using ST (AT&T SIM) for testing purposes. I'm a T-Mo Customer but when I am at my fathers house I have no service. Suffice it to say it works - although i am not thrilled with it. My experience is that I intermittently lose data connection; that is, there will be long periods of time that I receive no emails; miss Google Voice calls (Which is every call to my phone) Get voice mails although the phone never rang - receive an email though the phone never realized it. Never had this issue what-so-ever with my T-Mo SIM in place. Currently I am using this in My G-Nex as I am in Limbo on the Nexus 4 order. I may ask them to swap me out to a T-Mo SIM after My Nexus 4 arrives; If it works better on them then I will make the switch permanently even though I will not be able to use the phone at my dad's I'll still be able to save $.

S_C_B

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site

I've been using ST (AT&T SIM) for testing purposes. I'm a T-Mo Customer but when I am at my fathers house I have no service. Suffice it to say it works - although i am not thrilled with it. My experience is that I intermittently lose data connection; that is, there will be long periods of time that I receive no emails; miss Google Voice calls (Which is every call to my phone) Get voice mails although the phone never rang - receive an email though the phone never realized it. Never had this issue what-so-ever with my T-Mo SIM in place. Currently I am using this in My G-Nex as I am in Limbo on the Nexus 4 order. I may ask them to swap me out to a T-Mo SIM after My Nexus 4 arrives; If it works better on them then I will make the switch permanently even though I will not be able to use the phone at my dad's I'll still be able to save $.

Since I have the HSPA+ 42 network here, I should ask them to swap me out for a T-Mobile sim, too. Decisions!

kpm700

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

I'm switching over to ST this week for my wife and I with our new Nexus 4s. It's my first time on a GSM network ever and I've never had to use a SIM card before.

Can you just swap an AT&T ST SIM at anytime you want for a T-Mobile one? Or do you have to call customer service and go through activation steps?

Freak.A.Droid

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

I'm switching over to ST this week for my wife and I with our new Nexus 4s. It's my first time on a GSM network ever and I've never had to use a SIM card before.

Can you just swap an AT&T ST SIM at anytime you want for a T-Mobile one? Or do you have to call customer service and go through activation steps?
Considering I believe you to be referring to the Nexus 4 (which is an unlocked GSM phone capable of T-Mo or AT&T) then the answer is: You can put whatever SIM you want in it and it'll work - no need to call the carrier - unless you just want to talk to them to get the APN set correctly (Assuming that it doesn't auto-detect/set itself or you don't want Google it).

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Considering I believe you to be referring to the Nexus 4 (which is an unlocked GSM phone capable of T-Mo or AT&T) then the answer is: You can put whatever SIM you want in it and it'll work - no need to call the carrier - unless you just want to talk to them to get the APN set correctly (Assuming that it doesn't auto-detect/set itself or you don't want Google it).

But presumably each sim would be on a different account? I think the question was having one account and being able to switch sim's based on local coverage patterns.

kpm700

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

But presumably each sim would be on a different account? I think the question was having one account and being able to switch sim's based on local coverage patterns.

Thanks for the replies.

That was my initial thought, just switch SIMs for the best coverage depending on what area I'm in. But it sounds like I'd have to have separate accounts if I want to switch at will, correct?

Freak.A.Droid

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the replies.

That was my initial thought, just switch SIMs for the best coverage depending on what area I'm in. But it sounds like I'd have to have separate accounts if I want to switch at will, correct?
Yes, Sorry, I just assumed you already meant that you'd have differing SIMs (Carrier) that you wanted to swap at-will. So that being said; If you're using Straight Talk - you don't roam. Meaning, if you have a AT&T Compatible ST SIM then it only works on AT&T Coverage. Likewise with a T-Mo compatible one. So you would either need one of each or a (any) combination that would grant you coverage under any given scenario where one wouldn't have coverage.

Freak.A.Droid

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

Here's a series of consecutive Speed tests using AT&T Straight Talk compatible SIM in Columbus, OH. (Again, using a Galaxy Nexus Currently)

I'll upload a T-Mobile Speedtest when I get my Nexus 4 and/or my Micro to Sim adapter (Which ever occurs first)

screenshot2012112503122.png

Last edited:

sirrebral

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

I'm using the T-Mobile compatible ST SIM card (when I got my Nexus 4, a used phone store cut it down to the micro size for me). My first Speed Test in Sacramento was 14.8 Mbps down & 1.4 Mbps up; while visiting Los Angeles, I've seen 15.4 Mbps down & 3.4 Mbps up.