Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, read this three times and still a little confused. By full GV account, what are we talking? I already have a GV phone number, though I don't use it. Is that what you're referring to by full account? So If I wanted to test this out I would have 3 numbers? 111-1111 would be verizon, 222-2222 would be GV and 333-3333 would be ST. Forward 111-1111 to 222-2222 via Verizon settings. Then go to GV, and forward 222-2222 to 333-3333 so that my ST phone would actually ring when someone calls 111-1111? Seems logical, but crazy at the same time. How would voicemail, sms and outgoing calls work if this is what your talking about? Ideally, it would be transparent on incoming calls 111-1111. If outgoing showed a 333-3333, it's not that big a deal for now, but I would need functional sms and voicemail via the 111-1111 number. Or I could just buy an N4 and say screw it. lol

Because you want to use GV for your voicemail (but not as a phone number), you *shouldn't* have to port/direct anything to them. Install the GV app on the N4/ST phone. Set the phone to use Google Voice as the voicemail only. Then forward (NOT port) the VZW calls to your N4/ST. When someone calls your business number, the VZW wil just forward it to the N4/ST phone. It rings then goes to voicemail, it'll then use Google Voice's VM just like your VZW phone does now. That said, you'll still need to carry the VZW phone concurrently so you can make outgoing calls/texts from the number that everybody knows.

If/when you decide to keep the N4/ST, port the number from VZW to ST thus cancelling your VZW service.

Now, this ALL assumes that you can successfully use Google Voice with an N4/ST service. I'm assuming yes but I don't know for sure.

Topshelf

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
OK, that makes sense I think. lol I'll probably just place outgoing calls from the ST number as that's not important. It's just incoming has to stay the same. I'm going to pick one up and give it a shot. I'm really looking forward to this! Thanks for all the help. :)

WaveRunnr

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

I did my homework. When I tried to sign up on their website, they wouldn't accept the IMEI for my N4. If people are lying about their IMEIs are doing other crap to get around the system, that's on them.

By the way, you may want to do your homework next time before posting incorrect information.

1) Nexus 4 runs on Solavei, that's no secret.

2) They are not a pyramid scheme... you can pay for your service and nothing more, if you wish. But if you start referring people, they refund part of your money (every 3 people is $20 off your bill, I believe). But the point is using their service does not require you to refer friends.

Solavei runs on DC-HSPA+ and allows full 42mbps speeds up to 4GB before throttling. Very viable option; I'd get if if there was T-Mobile coverage in my area.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site

For some reason, neither these settings nor the ones provided by ST are working for me. I can call and send SMS messages, but I have no data connectivity. I have signal bars, but no data symbol like an H. What's the dealeo?
I use these (tried to link and it didn't work so I just copied them below).

Name: StraightTalk ATT
APN: att.mvno
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMSC proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication Type: Not set
APN type: default,supl,mms
UPDATE: I was able to get online with these settings that I found on a ST support forum:

Name: Straight Talk
APN: att.mvno
Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
Port: 80
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication Type: None
APN type: default,supl
APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6

However, Speedtest.net doesn't work on the download cycle. It reports 6 kbps(!!!!) down with ~1300 kbps up. Yeah, right. I am able to stream HQ YouTube better than my g/f's 1.5 Mbps DSL can with no buffering, so it's obviously running faster. Any suggestions?

UPDATE #2: Further Googling found a thread here advising to delete the proxy from the APN settings. After a reboot, Speedtest works. While I'm sure many will scoff at the 3800 kbps result, keep in mind this is NINETEEN TIMES(!!!!) faster than what Trudge is delivering. I'm not kidding, in the same spot, my GS2 gave a meager 200 kbps.

Last edited:

castroyy

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Has anyone bought a refill from Ebay? Looks like you could save on taxes-fees and shipping. Hear is a link of one that closed.
Straight Talk Unlimited Text, Talk, and Web Access 180 Day Service - Card PIN | eBay

I have not seen those before.. However I just joined ST last week.. I tried T-Mobile first but their coverage is bad by me.. AT&T is better but still slow speeds.. If ST works out I will check into those pre-paid cards!!! Thanks for the heads up!

Brad Arnold

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

This thread has been amazingly useful. Thanks everyone! I was going to use Net10 with my nexus 4, but it looks like you all are happy with Straight Talk - i'll give that a shot. I'm going to go from Sprint to ST (ATT) using my new Nexus 4 (when it delivers!). Should I port my number from Sprint to GV or to ST? I have never ported a number before, so call me a n00b :) I'm guessing porting my number to ST would be best because then I can receive calls when I don't have data coverage?

A lot of talk about no roaming scares me a little. I don't care about roaming data - I can do without this. But what about roaming voice? I would prefer my phone to be able to make/receive calls when I am out of ATT's range, but I guess that isn't a deal breaker for me because of the cost savings.

Has anyone activated the LTE band for the Nexus 4 to use with ATT using ST? I would like to do this and get the higher speeds if it works. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been discussed in this thread!

With Sprint right now my Gvoice works seamlessly. Am I going to need another app to make calls for free? I read something about talkatone being needed with Gvoice to make free calls over wifi. Is that still the case? I am usually on wifi and would rather make my calls through that and not use my minutes!

Thanks again everyone. I lurk here all the time, but don't have too much to contribute!

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site

Should I port my number from Sprint to GV or to ST? I have never ported a number before, so call me a n00b :) I'm guessing porting my number to ST would be best because then I can receive calls when I don't have data coverage?

Yes, port it directly to ST once you've decided it's for you.

A lot of talk about no roaming scares me a little. I don't care about roaming data - I can do without this. But what about roaming voice? I would prefer my phone to be able to make/receive calls when I am out of ATT's range, but I guess that isn't a deal breaker for me because of the cost savings.

There is NO roaming, period, on ST. There is roaming calls (but no data) on both prepaid of Tmobile and AT&T.

Has anyone activated the LTE band for the Nexus 4 to use with ATT using ST? I would like to do this and get the higher speeds if it works. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been discussed in this thread!

Will never work on USA LTE. Wrong frequency for every US LTE provider. Plus. it's not approved/legal per the feds

With Sprint right now my Gvoice works seamlessly. Am I going to need another app to make calls for free? I read something about talkatone being needed with Gvoice to make free calls over wifi. Is that still the case? I am usually on wifi and would rather make my calls through that and not use my minutes!

You get unlimited minutes, with ST. Why bother with VoIP? But yes, Tapatone over WiFi via Gmail (you have to enable chat in Gmail first) works fine.

Thanks again everyone. I lurk here all the time, but don't have too much to contribute!

Brad Arnold

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Well, you are pretty much awesome. Thank you for the quick reply and information! Too bad about LTE - not a deal breaker for me though. I am surprised a little because I read that it works with band 4 and that is ATT from what I read, but I'm just parroting what I read and not what I understand.

Too bad about roaming - I'll look into what tmobile prepaid offers. Maybe I can buy a SIM with a low amount of minutes on it as a backup for when I travel - as long as its not another monthly fee. I can do the research on that though!

It just slipped my mind with unlimited minutes for ST, so you are right. The only situation where it might be useful is when I don't get service, but have wifi. You said Tapaton, but I think you meant talkatone. I'm sure i can figure this out when my phone arrives.

Thanks again!

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

i plan on using the n4 with straight talk att but i'm a little confused with the proxy. over here (How to set up the right APN on your Nexus 4 | Android Central) it has it filled out, but i've heard that you shouldn't put it because it blocks apps like speedtest. do you enter the proxy and then delete it later or just not put it there in the first place?

Just don't put in in at all. Adding the proxy doesn't do anything except block certain apps like speedtest. You don't even need it in there.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site

Well, you are pretty much awesome. Thank you for the quick reply and information! Too bad about LTE - not a deal breaker for me though. I am surprised a little because I read that it works with band 4 and that is ATT from what I read, but I'm just parroting what I read and not what I understand.

No, ATT is not band 4. It's band 17 (if I remember right)

Too bad about roaming - I'll look into what tmobile prepaid offers. Maybe I can buy a SIM with a low amount of minutes on it as a backup for when I travel - as long as its not another monthly fee. I can do the research on that though!

I bought a Tmobile SIM with the 1500 min/text and 30 megs of data for $30. Used it for one month in a throw away flip. Didn't autorenew it at the end of the month. That was three months ago and I just logged into my account and the number/account is still there awaiting refilling. No clue how long it'll stay there if I don't fund it.

It just slipped my mind with unlimited minutes for ST, so you are right. The only situation where it might be useful is when I don't get service, but have wifi. You said Tapaton, but I think you meant talkatone. I'm sure i can figure this out when my phone arrives.

There's always Skype if you have to make WiFi calls and no setup to deal with like Talkatone.

Thanks again!

Brad Arnold

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

According to an article about the LTE.... "AT&T has no Cellular 850/PCS/AWS LTE deployed anywhere". I don't know what that means specifically, but I understand that it means the answer is a for sure NO for LTE usage :)

The Tmobile deal seems awesome, but I don't know if it is still available like that. At a quick glance it looks like a good deal would be 1,000 minutes for $100 that lasts for 1 year. The other lower minute ones only last 90 days. Prepaid Plans | Pay As You Go Pricing | Prepaid Cost per Minute | T-Mobile

Can you hotswap the SIM on the nexus 4, or do you have to turn the phone off first?

Quick edit to add - Great tip about Skype!

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site

According to an article about the LTE.... "AT&T has no Cellular 850/PCS/AWS LTE deployed anywhere". I don't know what that means specifically, but I understand that it means the answer is a for sure NO for LTE usage :)

The Tmobile deal seems awesome, but I don't know if it is still available like that. At a quick glance it looks like a good deal would be 1,000 minutes for $100 that lasts for 1 year. The other lower minute ones only last 90 days. Prepaid Plans | Pay As You Go Pricing | Prepaid Cost per Minute | T-Mobile

You're looking at the no data dumphone page. Not even sure if these plans are available with a SIM only prepaid for use in a smartphone (you'd have to ask before dropping the $100). You want this page (assuming you want data): Monthly 4G Prepaid Plans | Compare Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile

Can you hotswap the SIM on the nexus 4, or do you have to turn the phone off first?

I'd turn it off. Why risk it?

Quick edit to add - Great tip about Skype!

mobileboost

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I had ST before and am returning to Net10 or ST next month again

For clarification on roaming if you are using Net10/ST with AT&T Sim you get all of AT&T's go phone service + tracfone's roaming partners?

I know my last at&t phone would have the triangle showing roaming sometimes and it worked ok in my basement. If anyone has a more accurate map that zooms in then ST & Net10 that would be great also.

Also Net10 and ST have the exact same coverage as both are owned by tracfone? Net10 is 45/month with auto payments vs ST which can be had for around 43/month with 90 day cards? I believe that is the only big difference still?

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I had ST before and am returning to Net10 or ST next month again

For clarification on roaming if you are using Net10/ST with AT&T Sim you get all of AT&T's go phone service + tracfone's roaming partners?

Straight from ST's FAQ:

Will my Straight Talk phone Roam?
No, your Straight Talk phone won't roam, you will be able to enjoy nationwide coverage on one of America?s best networks, at the same price of a local call!

I know my last at&t phone would have the triangle showing roaming sometimes and it worked ok in my basement. If anyone has a more accurate map that zooms in then ST & Net10 that would be great also.

Also Net10 and ST have the exact same coverage as both are owned by tracfone? Net10 is 45/month with auto payments vs ST which can be had for around 43/month with 90 day cards? I believe that is the only big difference still?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol