Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

This thread has been amazingly useful. Thanks everyone! I was going to use Net10 with my nexus 4, but it looks like you all are happy with Straight Talk - i'll give that a shot. I'm going to go from Sprint to ST (ATT) using my new Nexus 4 (when it delivers!). Should I port my number from Sprint to GV or to ST? I have never ported a number before, so call me a n00b :) I'm guessing porting my number to ST would be best because then I can receive calls when I don't have data coverage?

A lot of talk about no roaming scares me a little. I don't care about roaming data - I can do without this. But what about roaming voice? I would prefer my phone to be able to make/receive calls when I am out of ATT's range, but I guess that isn't a deal breaker for me because of the cost savings.

Has anyone activated the LTE band for the Nexus 4 to use with ATT using ST? I would like to do this and get the higher speeds if it works. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been discussed in this thread!

With Sprint right now my Gvoice works seamlessly. Am I going to need another app to make calls for free? I read something about talkatone being needed with Gvoice to make free calls over wifi. Is that still the case? I am usually on wifi and would rather make my calls through that and not use my minutes!

Thanks again everyone. I lurk here all the time, but don't have too much to contribute!

Okay, this is going to be a small novel, but here goes....

Whether you port to ST or to GV is really up to you. With GV, you CAN receive calls whether or not you have data. Not having data doesn't prevent your phone from receiving a forwarded GV call. If you try to place a call without data, then the GV app won't be able to route your outbound call with your GV number. (Your call will go out using your ST-provided number.) There are ways around that issue. You can always call your GV number directly and then dial the number you wish to call, and it will be routed through GV that way. And there are apps in the Play Store that will automate that process. I used to do that before the latest update to the GV app (which seems more reliable now than it has been in the past). I ported my number from Sprint (integrated w/GV) to Google Voice (more on that in a bit).

It is true that ST doesn't roam. I use an AT&T-compatible SIM from ST and I haven't been without coverage yet. My coverage has been better than what I had with Sprint. Of course your mileage may vary. Location is everything. If AT&T doesn't work where you are, try a T-Mobile SIM. (If you've ported your number to GV, you won't even have to worry about re-porting your number if you decide to switch SIMs or carriers later.)

There is no LTE with ST yet. My 3G (HSPA+) speed on ST (AT&T) has been about 5-6Mbps, which is plenty fast for me...especially when I consider the abysmal slowness (0.5Mbps) I had with Sprint. If you absolutely require faster speed than HSPA+21 can provide, then you'll need to go with T-Mobile (which supports HSPA+42). Again, coverage varies by location. That's something you'll have to test. For me, I haven't missed it. I can do everything I need to do (streaming, etc.) with the coverage I'm getting on the AT&T-compatible SIM.

Now, back to the Sprint/GV integration... Since ST is unlimited voice and text, you don't really need to use GV to make free calls. GV by itself won't allow you to make free calls anyway, because GV is not a carrier. You would need a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) application, like GrooveIP, in combination with GV in order to make calls over the Internet (via VoIP). But again, since ST has unlimited voice and text, there's really no need, unless you intend to make international calls. Also, keep in mind that if you wish, you can always make calls from your computer via Google Talk. I do this a lot at work because I don't have very good coverage inside my office building (It's an old building with heavy shielding and lots of concrete. No one's carrier works very well, if at all.)

I chose to port my number from Sprint to GV. There are some things you'll need to consider if you do this:

1. First, you won't be able to send or receive MMS from your GV number. If that is a deal-breaker, then don't port your number to GV. There is no telling when Google will get around to adding that capability, but it doesn't appear to be any time soon.
  2. Second, if you want to text from your GV number, you will need to either use the GV app or use an app like GV Integration (I use this) to allow you to use the native messaging app (or GoSMS Pro) to do text messaging. Also, keep in mind, that data is required to send text via GV.
  3. Lastly, porting your Sprint/GV-integrated number to Google is easy, but it is not documented very well, because Sprint obviously doesn't want you to leave, and Google doesn't want to upset Sprint by telling people how to leave. Since, I've done it, I'll list the basic steps below.

Porting from Sprint/GV-integration to Google:

1. Once you have your new phone and SIM, you will be ready to do the porting. The first thing you will need to do is undo the Sprint/GV integration. Go into your Google Voice account page on your desktop and remove the integration. This is important. If you don't remove the integration, the porting process will be hampered.
  2. Follow Google's instructions (fill out the porting form) to port your number from Sprint to Google. It will cost $20 (one-time fee) to do the porting. That can be charged to your Google Wallet (online) account. DO NOT contact Sprint first to cancel service! If you do that you'll permanently lose your Sprint phone number. Instead, just fill out the Google porting form and work through the porting process. You'll be asked for your Sprint account number and the access PIN (the PIN that you use when calling Sprint's customer service). Once you provide that information, Google will contact Sprint for you, and they will port your number from Sprint.
  3. When you initiate the porting process, it may look like you're actually deleting your number. Don't worry, it's still there. You're starting a port and you'll be asked if you want to port the number or get a new one. You'll also be prompted to check off several acknowledgements about what you are doing, so that there is no misunderstanding. When you port your number to Google, you are immediately terminating your Sprint account/contract. Google just wants to make sure you realize that before proceeding.
  4. After you are notified by Google that the port is complete, test it out on GV, to ensure it's working. Normally, the company who gives up the number (Sprint in this case) will automatically cancel your service, but you can contact them a few days after porting, just to be sure your account is closed out. Remember that if you are still under contract with Sprint, early termination fees will apply.
  5. When you initiate the porting process, there will be a period of time (several hours) that your GV account will revert to a Google Voice Lite account (no dedicated phone number or text messaging capability). Don't worry. Your text messages and call history will remain intact. Once the porting process has completed, you'll regain your full functionality. Text messaging can take up to three days to start working again, but you'll be able to make calls right away. Just keep that in mind.

Now that I've scared you half-to-death about porting to Google Voice, I will tell you that I haven't had any problems. It's more about understanding what to expect. Sprint's integration with Google Voice did indeed make it a seamless experience. It's not quite as seamless without Sprint, but you can make and receive calls using your normal phone dialer and text using the native messenger or GoSMS Pro (with the help of the GV Integration app). I don't even think about it any more. I just use my phone as I did with Sprint--only I'm paying much less.

Hope this helped.

Brad Arnold

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

well this is just the best response ever. Thank you so much. This is bookmarked and will be followed step-by-step!

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

Okay, this is going to be a small novel, but here goes....

First off - thank you for that amazing post! I just have a few questions:

1. After porting, do I have to cancel the voicemail from the carrier to make sure GV voicemail answers calls or will porting do this for me?

2. I currently have a GV number and a mobile number, if I port does that mean I lose one of those?

3. How long does it take for the porting to complete?

4. If I port from my Sprint (I currently have Sprint intergration) to GV, how does it handle sending calls to my new tmobile phone? Does it work via the app, or do i have to explicitly add that phone's number?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

First off - thank you for that amazing post! I just have a few questions:

1. After porting, do I have to cancel the voicemail from the carrier to make sure GV voicemail answers calls or will porting do this for me?

2. I currently have a GV number and a mobile number, if I port does that mean I lose one of those?

3. How long does it take for the porting to complete?

4. If I port from my Sprint (I currently have Sprint intergration) to GV, how does it handle sending calls to my new tmobile phone? Does it work via the app, or do i have to explicitly add that phone's number?
  1. When you port, you are terminating the previous carrier service. There will be no Sprint voicemail to cancel because there will be no Sprint service. By porting, you are leaving Sprint as a carrier.
  2. Once you port your Sprint number to GV, you still need a carrier of some sort in order to have cellular service. Your new T-Mobile service will come with its own phone number. Your old Sprint number will become your new Google Voice number. You will set things up as you would have prior to the Sprint integration (i.e. you'll set up the T-Mobile service as a phone that Google Voice will forward to). You'll have your GV (old Sprint) number, which I presume you'll want people to call as your primary number. You'll have a T-Mobile number, which I presume you'll keep private.
  3. When I ported from Sprint to GV, it took about 8 hours for the number porting to happen (because I started the process at the end of a business week). I was able to make calls with my old Sprint phone until the porting kicked in. Texting took longer (about a day and a half)... though Google tells you that it can take up to three business days for texting service to be available.
  4. Google Voice works the way it always has. There are two types of Google Voice service:

• The first is called Google Voice Lite. With GV Lite service, you don't have a GV number. You merely use your cellular number to conditionally forward calls to GV so that it can act as a visual voicemail service. (By the way, pre-paid T-Mobile doesn't offer conditional call forwarding, so you will need a full GV account--with an actual GV number, in order to use GV Lite with that service.)
  • With full Google Voice service, you have a dedicated GV number. You add any phones (home, work, cell, etc.) that you want to ring when someone calls your dedicated GV number. (If you've ported your Sprint number to GV, then you'll automatically have a full GV account.) You install the GV app and set it so that all outgoing calls use your GV number. Then you use your phone like normal. Make calls, etc. using the standard dialer, and the GV app will route the call through GV so that your outbound caller ID will be your GV number, and not your carrier-provided T-Mobile number. You're still using your carrier's minutes. GV is not a VoIP service.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Net10 only has 3G data, correct? No HSPA+?
I don't know. Net10's website is very vague about their data services. It almost feels like the old days of feature phones whose data services were routed through specific infrastructure that only allowed mobile (WAP) web browsing (and wasn't FULL internet access, with all available ports). Much of the language is the same as in those days: "unlimited browsing" versus just saying "unlimited data". Who knows what they mean when they play with language like that?

Brad Arnold

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I guess I have some more research to do. I keep going back and forth. Grrr. Haha. At least I have time to plan. Contract is up in January and I don't even have the nexus 4 delivered yet :)

mobileboost

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site

Net10 and ST are identical except that in the past year ST has been terminating service for using much more then 100mb in a day. It has only been in the last couple months that they haven't been killing SIM cards, ending phone numbers, and are now throttling data. Net10 and ST even have the same customer support for the most part as the reps do both companies.

It is still recommended to not purchase 6 months or 12 months of ST service because in the recent past they have been terminating service for daily overage fees.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Net10 and ST are identical except that in the past year ST has been terminating service for using much more then 100mb in a day.

And how would you know this, since ST does not spell out any of their data caps or restrictions? Given that numerous users report using multiple GB of data on ST a month with no problems (which likely means at least a couple of days per month they used 100+mb a day), I doubt this daily cap is anywhere near universal. Perhaps it happens, but it's not something set in stone. If you have solid info to share to the contrary, by all means please link it.

mobileboost

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site

And how would you know this, since ST does not spell out any of their data caps or restrictions? Given that numerous users report using multiple GB of data on ST a month with no problems (which likely means at least a couple of days per month they used 100+mb a day), I doubt this daily cap is anywhere near universal. Perhaps it happens, but it's not something set in stone. If you have solid info to share to the contrary, by all means please link it.

This has been well known where it's primarily discussed on cell forums such as howard forums Straight Talk I've been a member there for some time and deciding to go Net10 this time around with my new Nexus 4 (whenever it arrives). If you post a technical question in the Net10 forum, you will often be referred to the ST forum as more of the tech savy guys are in that forum to save a few bucks a month.

the number of people shut off was quite a few. They have been putting the pieces together for months with other user data and usage. The safe daily cap was around 100-130Mb. They are currently now throttling, but their were even people with ST branded phones who were shut off for going over the daily limit. The returns and shutoffs would happen in less then a month and Walmart was having an issue with returns. You won't find many people recommending purchasing the 6 month or 12 month ST plans. It's still <45 dollars a month if you purchase the 3 month cards and use a state that doesn't charge tax at walmart.com :)

My personal experience was I was throttled after using 200Mb in a day with Pandora running while doing massages longer then expected during a mobile job. After that, I was excepted into the Republic Wireless beta (which hasn't worked ideally for me, with their single band phone screw up, and some service related issues). Now I have a Nexus 4 hopefully being made as soon as possible by an underpaid worker from somewhere :D

Here is another post where the difference is discussed and another member once again brings up the ST disconnect Straight Talk vs Net10?

Last edited:

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

The problem is that it's NOT universal, it's unpredictable and random. Some get shut down, some don't with the exact same use profile.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Straight Talk will ONLY go after you if you are affecting the network in your area, as Jerry said on page 2. If you're downloading torrents, listening to Pandora, and tethering to your computer, then you damn well should be booted or throttled. If you're just casually browsing the internet, checking e-mail, installing an app, or hell even using Google Maps, you're fine.

It's not "random" it's "If you are causing others to be slow, then they will stop you". Honestly, considering how entitled people get with their data (using a MOBILE connection to tether to a damn desktop comes to mind), I can understand ST's harshness. Should they disclose this? Probably. Are they wrong in doing it? No.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I been a cdma vz user my whole smartphone life. All this gsm info makes my head spin.
The learning curve is a bit steep. Porting numbers, changing apn settings, getting a st sim. Excited to get my n4, and getting away from vz. :)

Sent from my Toro :)))

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I been a cdma vz user my whole smartphone life. All this gsm info makes my head spin.
The learning curve is a bit steep. Porting numbers, changing apn settings, getting a st sim. Excited to get my n4, and getting away from vz. :)

Likewise, except on Sprint. It's been an interesting journey learning how GSM and SIM cards work, and how the other carriers operate. I've come to accept that my coverage is not going to be as good, but I'm ok with that if it means cheaper prices, no contracts, and a phone carriers can't futz with! :)

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So ive got 2 plans I have been trying. the $30 tmobile deal and $45 ST with ATT.

Tmobile is fast and seemed to have pretty good coverage. When out and about no issues. Really satisfied for $30 a month. BUT then after a couple days of great experiences i had to go back to main job site. Its not the best for cell service since its enclosed and built to withstand F4 tornado. I cant get any data service at all. We have VZW and ATT repeaters but no Tmobile. So this totally blows as i cant see any way to get this to work for me.

So I decided to try the ST using ATT. $45 isnt near as good a deal but its really the only other choice i think. Got everthing set up and starting testing at home. Data speeds are horrendous. I mean like crappy 3G speeds, TMO was 12-15 mbps at home and with ST I am getting 2-4 if i am lucky. I do get full signal at work and speeds around 7-8 mbps. I testing a couple other areas and was getting 5-7 mbps. So for me ST means much slower rates but i do get a signal at all key areas for me.

So its really hard to say for me. I am used to LTE and great speeds and coverage and both of these routes are lacking in some area. My VZW bill is around $74 a month with the unlimited data still also. So while saving $30-40 a month would be great I am not sure if i can commit to either of these options yet.

Thenewyorkdolley

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
My experience so far is that setup was a snap, call quality is clear, and my data speeds suck real hard. I'm coming from Verizon but I was fully prepared for the slower speeds. However no speed test I've run about town has gone above about 1700K. I'm in Madison, WI, so it ain't exactly the sticks. AT&T's coverage here is supposed to be good so I went that route, going to give the T-Mobile 100/unlimited/unlimited plan a shot next month.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
VInyS.png

Considering my usual 3G speeds on Sprint, I think 3-5 Mbps is perfect for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois