Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

cadis12

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Thought I would post my experience porting numbers over from Verizon.

Ported my wifes phone first using the online steps at the Straight Talk website. Porting completed in about 5 mins!!
Ported my number next via the ST website and it took about 20 mins to complete.

So far the service is good but I am only on day one in the Metro Detroit Area.

Oh yeah....I picked the ATT sim card.

willdogs

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if Straight Talk works in Puerto Rico? I will be visiting next month and curious to know if it will work ok?

Puerto Rico has full coverage for AT&T and T-Mobile, just not sure if they support straight talk in PR...

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if Straight Talk works in Puerto Rico? I will be visiting next month and curious to know if it will work ok?

Puerto Rico has full coverage for AT&T and T-Mobile, just not sure if they support straight talk in PR...

Wherever AT&T or T-Mobile have native coverage Straight Talk will work. You just have to choose either an AT&T-compatible or T-Mobile-compatible SIM when you order.

willdogs

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Wherever AT&T or T-Mobile have native coverage Straight Talk will work. You just have to choose either an AT&T-compatible or T-Mobile-compatible SIM when you order.

Thanks! That's what I figured, but their FAQ says otherwise?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...F%2Fwww.straighttalk.com%2FFAQ&token=0v2IkcW7
Will I be able to make or receive calls while in Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands?
You will not be able to make or receive calls on your Straight Talk phone when you are located anywhere outside of the continental United States.

It makes no sense to me, I'm thinking the FAQ is wrong, but wanted confirmation from someone who may either live or have visited PR recently

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! That's what I figured, but their FAQ says otherwise?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...F%2Fwww.straighttalk.com%2FFAQ&token=7kw06lft
Will I be able to make or receive calls while in Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands?
You will not be able to make or receive calls on your Straight Talk phone when you are located anywhere outside of the continental United States.

It makes no sense to me, I'm thinking the FAQ is wrong, but wanted confirmation from someone who may either live or have visited PR recently

Don't pay attention to any information you get from www.straighttalk.com. Only pay attention to information provided by the www.straighttalksim.com site.

They use different phones and have different rules. The straighttalk.com site is for buying pre-paid phones from Straight Talk, which are either CDMA or GSM, but are locked to their proprietary proxies and a subset of the spectrum they leased from the big four carriers.

The straighttalksim.com site is for bringing your own fully AT&T- or T-Mobile-compatible phone, which aren't as locked down or limited as the Straight Talk-branded phones.

The two sites confuse a lot of customers because one of them shows and discusses the limited coverage of the native Straight Talk network, while the other shows the full coverage available via the AT&T- and/or T-Mobile-compatible SIMs.

willdogs

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Don't pay attention to any information you get from Welcome To Straight Talk. Only pay attention to information provided by the Welcome | Straight Talk site.

They use different phones and have different rules. The straighttalk.com site is for buying pre-paid phones from Straight Talk, which are either CDMA or GSM, but are locked to their proprietary proxies and a subset of the spectrum they leased from the big four carriers.

The straighttalksim.com site is for bringing your own fully AT&T- or T-Mobile-compatible phone, which aren't as locked down or limited as the Straight Talk-branded phones.

The two sites confuse a lot of customers because one of them shows and discusses the limited coverage of the native Straight Talk network, while the other shows the full coverage available via the AT&T- and/or T-Mobile-compatible SIMs.

Wow thanks! Didn't know that!

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't like how Straight Talk says in their TOS that if you port your number to them from another carrier, you have no ownership of that number and they can change it at any time they want. No warnings needed.

That and them lying to me about throttling my data is why I am sticking with Verizon for now.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I would port to Google Voice, just to be sure I keep access to my number, just in case.

So far been on ST for over a month, no problems. Speeds fine, mostly on cell data all day long, wifi at night. In my first 30 days, I did about 2gb.

Digitally transmitted from my unlocked Galaxy Note 2 on Straight Talk using Tapatalk 2

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I can't port to google voice. Says my number is from an area they don't support...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Straight talk w/ Att sim

Clairmont California inside norms restaurant 10fwy and Indian hill Blvd.

uploadfromtaptalk1355694562743.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

This is nerve racking... My nexus 4 was delivered yesterday but my straight talk sim isnt coming until today. I've been up since 6am in anticipation. Every time I heard a loud noise outside I jump up and look out of the window to see if its the FedEx truck.

I cant to get a sim into my N4 and run some speed tests. I've been on sprint for like 10 years, now its time to see what StraightTalk / AT&T can do.
Tell me about it. I have been waiting for 12 days for my T-mobile activation kit while having my Nexus 4 for 10 days. I don't even know if I'll get good call quality yet.

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Tell me about it. I have been waiting for 12 days for my T-mobile activation kit while having my Nexus 4 for 10 days. I don't even know if I'll get good call quality yet.

It should be there soon, they shipped mine from Texas to California, 14days for me. I didn't even think that was possible!

Digitally transmitted from my unlocked Galaxy Note 2 on Straight Talk using Tapatalk 2

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
It should be there soon, they shipped mine from Texas to California, 14days for me. I didn't even think that was possible!

I live in Texas and was told over night delivery. USPS is really screwed up to take 2 weeks to deliver a a little item.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

I'd just go to walmart, buy a tmobile sim, take it home and cut it with a pair of scissors.

rhcreed

May 24, 2011
Visit site
question about numbers, I'm almost up on my Verizon contract and leaning toward a nexus 4 on ATT ST. It sounds like you can port your number, but if ST shuts you off, you loose it. I want to use ST, but don't want to loose my number. Any suggestions? I'm not sure I want to use google voice. Has anyone lost their number because of ST?

bgs99

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Just a heads up. I just received a call from ST saying may data usage was excessive and in violation of the terms of service.
I used 2.26GB of data from Nov 21 - Dec 20. 1.6GB of that was from streaming Google Music.
I think I'll probably switch carriers

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Just a heads up. I just received a call from ST saying may data usage was excessive and in violation of the terms of service.
I used 2.26GB of data from Nov 21 - Dec 20. 1.6GB of that was from streaming Google Music.
I think I'll probably switch carriers

AT&T or TMobile?