Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I had my wife's N4 on ATT ST for about 3 weeks and just switched her over to a direct prepaid with Tmobile. Didn't like the ATT ST at all (though TMo ST might be better). The data speeds are terrible compared to TMo (average 5 down vs 15 down). We also had to tether 1 PC for about 2 weeks. She and I run a photo studio and we moved and temporarily had no internet . The PC was only getting used for light gmail and calendar work (no streaming video/youtube or downloading/uploading files). I would guess this transmitted much less data than streaming Pandora or Google Music. They kept throttling her data down to 1 mgb or less, sometimes completely shutting it off until we rebooted the phone, or sometimes, until the next day. This happened a number of times throughout the day. I had set up a blank proxy on the phone. None of this happens with my direct TMo connection, though I have no idea how it might work on the TMo version of ST.

jimmycinla

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Grab a friends unlocked GSM phone, slide your SIM in and see if you can send MMS. If it fails again its a network issue or you might have a bad SIM.
If MMS does work fine on your friends phone, then do a factory reset on your Nexus.

j

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Grab a friends unlocked GSM phone, slide your SIM in and see if you can send MMS. If it fails again its a network issue or you might have a bad SIM.
If MMS does work fine on your friends phone, then do a factory reset on your Nexus.

j

Oh brother, easier said than done. I don't know if any of my friends have an unlocked gsm phone.

MMS did work once tonight. Does mms send via Wi-Fi? The cell connection at my house is bad and data isn't much better, but I did try to send a mms when I went out earlier and it wouldn't send.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh brother, easier said than done. I don't know if any of my friends have an unlocked gsm phone.

MMS did work once tonight. Does mms send via Wi-Fi? The cell connection at my house is bad and data isn't much better, but I did try to send a mms when I went out earlier and it wouldn't send.

MLS works over mobile data.

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I am going to order both a Nexus 4 when available again and a Nexus 7 wifi only.

I want to use either Net10 unlimited with monthly auto renewal or ST unlimited.

I spend a lot of time outdoors in Manhattan and Queens and want to know if I can set up the N4 as a hot spot for the N7 with either or both without having to root the phone while I have no wifi available?
Also which would be better ATT or T-M, both give me an adequate signal for calls where I am.

I am an old guy that is not the most tech savy person so please cut me some slack if I appear ignorant :-[
Thanks

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You can use the native hotspot feature on the Nexus 4. Anything with WiFi should be able to connect. If you use straight talk, be sure to leave the PROXY line blank in the APN settings you use. Recently straight talk has been throttling people for using too much data. Some were less than 2gb in a month. That is the att compatible ST sim.

I wouldn't think a Nexus 7 would pull enough data to cause a problem as long as you abide by Straight Talks terms of service. They HATE when you stream netflix or Pandora or similar. Different areas seem to get different results.

Some on here report using 5gb or more with no problem. Others get throttled for using less than 2gb. I, myself, made it to just over 3gb before they throttled me. When I called they acted surprised and denied throttling me. Yet they stated that my speeds would go back to normal after I refilled my account for the next month.

I dropped them, sold my Nexus 4 and will stick with Verizon until they force me out of my unlimited data. The Nexus 4 is an AWESOME phone, I will miss it dearly!

You results may vary, good luck! Merry Christmas!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I am going to order both a Nexus 4 when available again and a Nexus 7 wifi only.

I want to use either Net10 unlimited with monthly auto renewal or ST unlimited.

I spend a lot of time outdoors in Manhattan and Queens and want to know if I can set up the N4 as a hot spot for the N7 with either or both without having to root the phone while I have no wifi available?
Also which would be better ATT or T-M, both give me an adequate signal for calls where I am.

I am an old guy that is not the most tech savy person so please cut me some slack if I appear ignorant :-[
Thanks

I try Tmo ST first. A number of people (me included) have been throttled on ATT ST well before reaching 2GB.

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
What I understand from reading this and other related threads ST and NET10 are owned by the same carrier that is reselling ATT and T-M.

Since the N4 does not use a standard SIM but a MicroSIM how does one get the SIM purchased from ST or NET10 cut to size if I purchase a T-M activation kit so it will fit into the N4 ?

Thanks Much

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
What I understand from reading this and other related threads ST and NET10 are owned by the same carrier that is reselling ATT and T-M.

Since the N4 does not use a standard SIM but a MicroSIM how does one get the SIM purchased from ST or NET10 cut to size if I purchase a T-M activation kit so it will fit into the N4 ?

Thanks Much

You just buy their regular size SIM and cut it down to micro size. I did it with a pair of scissors. You can downlaod a template from the internet. It was easy.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Recently straight talk has been throttling people for using too much data. Some were less than 2gb in a month. That is the att compatible ST sim.

yep. i was throttled when i hit like 1.7GB on my first month of service. Ima contact them and see what they say about it. is net10 as strict?

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Here is a direct link to the thread you are referring to:
Porting from ATT to ST under contract

If the stories in the thread are indeed true then I owe you an apology. It seems that there is a major loophole in AT&T's billing system with regard to porting to ST.

While people in the HoFo thread are stating that they haven't been billed the ETF, they are also saying that AT&T won't unlock any phone that they try to take with them to ST. (The AT&T phones are SIM-locked.) So if they want to use a phone they purchased from AT&T they'll have to get it unlocked through a 3rd party. Not a big deal these days, but still an issue.

Also, no one has confirmed what will happen if someone decides to leave ST after porting over to them, while still in the original contract period with AT&T. Will AT&T bill them for the ETF if they leave the network (by leaving ST)?

Very interesting development. I wonder, how long before AT&T figures it out and closes the loophole?

By the way, T-Mobile doesn't have such a loophole. Going from T-Mobile to ST with a T-Mobile-compatible SIM while in contract will get you stuck with an ETF.

UPDATE!!!!!
There is a new posting on the same thread: He got an iPhone on contract from AT&T, he ported one to Straight Talk. No ETF charges, he ported one to Red Pocket, got billed for $350.00 + taxes for ETF. I think the continuation of service only applies to Straight Talk. Just some information if anyone else is thinking about porting from AT&T to prepaid services.

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
yep. i was throttled when i hit like 1.7GB on my first month of service. Ima contact them and see what they say about it. is net10 as strict?

If you have good T-MO coverage, ST T-MO is more lenient. If 1900mhz has been refarmed in your area, you'll get HSPA+42, faster than AT&T HSPA 21. Downside is you have to purchase another sim and when you port your excisting AT&T sim, you cannot reactivate back.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If you have good T-MO coverage, ST T-MO is more lenient. If 1900mhz has been refarmed in your area, you'll get HSPA+42, faster than AT&T HSPA 21. Downside is you have to purchase another sim and when you port your excisting AT&T sim, you cannot reactivate back.

thats the problem. from what I hear t-mo is terrible in my area. they dont even carry t-mo at my local best buy because of poor coverage. att isn't so hot either. neither is sprint. verizon is really the only great one. sprint and att, are just decent

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
thats the problem. from what I hear t-mo is terrible in my area. they dont even carry t-mo at my local best buy because of poor coverage. att isn't so hot either. neither is sprint. verizon is really the only great one. sprint and att, are just decent

Even in my area, verizon in king, I am using ST AT&T and good to excellent coverage, T-MO good, no comment on Sprint. Too bad you already bought a Nexus 4, I was gonna recommend some ST branded smartphone that runs off Verizon but you already have a pentaband device. Maybe just hang in there.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Even in my area, verizon in king, I am using ST AT&T and good to excellent coverage, T-MO good, no comment on Sprint. Too bad you already bought a Nexus 4, I was gonna recommend some ST branded smartphone that runs off Verizon but you already have a pentaband device. Maybe just hang in there.

i love the n4. i left sprint for it. i've used 1.98 GB of data so far, and I haven't received any kind of warning or threat that they are going to eliminate my account. i will just have to use wifi more and this should still work out.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
i love the n4. i left sprint for it. i've used 1.98 GB of data so far, and I haven't received any kind of warning or threat that they are going to eliminate my account. i will just have to use wifi more and this should still work out.

Are you on at&t or t mobile? Seems folks are getting throttled on at&t.

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site

I agree, I was paying Sprint $167.75 a month for two HTC EVO 4G and the download speeds were closer to dial up that Wimax 4g. I now pay $250.00 for 2 phones per 90 days. I buy my refill online at walmart.com, there are other sites you can get cheaper but I've never tried so I cannot recommend. In Honolulu, ST AT&T avarage around 4 mbps down and 1 mbps up. I think so long as you stick to 100 mb/day and 2GB/30 days, you should be okay.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc