Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
If I'm on Auto-refill and I purchase one of these, will ST just not bill my credit card the next month?

I've never used Auto-refill, so I can't answer that. If you plan to keep buying refills I would recommend turning off the Auto-refill option.

mmtowns

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
That's a quick speed test pretty typical for me sometimes its a little faster sometimes it isn't.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Question about the data service indicator when using ST (ATT sim): When you're in 3G territory, does it say "H" or "3G"?

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Question about the data service indicator when using ST (ATT sim): When you're in 3G territory, does it say "H" or "3G"?

On a nexus it will have an H. Most other phones the manufacturer will have 3g/4g baked into their skin .

TheMovieStar

May 17, 2010
Visit site
On a nexus it will say H whether in a 3g or hspa+ area. The nexus doesn't have the manufacturer skin so it won't show 3g/4g.

I could've sworn I saw it on my 4, I must be thinking of my GNex.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

bshensky

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Learned that the N4 was again available for sale on Weds 1/30 at 13:00 ET, so I immediately put in my order.
Got a response from Google that the device was to be shipped on Thu 1/31, to arrive at my doorstep in Michigan on Fri, 2/1.

I pulled the full-sized SIM from my Nexus One and trimmed it according to the many guides available online. I got a good fit into the Micro-SIM slot in the N4.

I rebooted, and the familiar "HOME" ID that comes with the Straight Talk T-Mobile SIM quickly showed up on my phone. However, I still had to enter the proper APN data.

I knew from times prior that Straight Talk is finicky about ALL its APN settings - even the APN name must be "straight talk", all lower case. Naming the APN "Straight Talk" will render the APN invalid!

The APN settings as pulled from straighttalksim.com were valid, and the N4 was registered on the ST T-Mo network. SpeedTest.net reported 10-12Mbps downloads in my area, up from only 4-5Mbps I was getting on my Nexus One. I cannot explain this increase, but I'm certainly not complaining.

The transition from the Nexus One to the Nexus 4 was one of the most painless I've ever experienced, SIM-trimming aside. I had been running an experimental 4.2 Jelly Bean on the N1 (sllloooowwww), but had told it to back up my apps and data to the Google cloud. When I powered up the N4, I supplied my Google creds, and within 20 minutes, all my apps, email, contacts, calendar and music had shown up on the N4. I am glad I stuck with ST and the T-Mo SIM, and am thoroughly pleased with the mammoth speed increased the N4 affords.

bshensky

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

Until about 3 months ago, all I'd ever see (on my Nexus One running JB 4.1 and 4.2 with a TMobile SIM, not an AT&T one) was H (or E or G for EDGE or GPRS), but never 3G.

But about 3 months ago, I started seeing 3G show up alongside H. I have to believe this may have something to do with new peering arrangements between T-Mo and AT&T that came as the result of the failed merger attempt. That, or perhaps T-Mo is upgrading their network in Southeastern Michigan. But I now do see 3G as well as H where all I saw before was H alone.

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I knew from times prior that Straight Talk is finicky about ALL its APN settings - even the APN name must be "straight talk", all lower case. Naming the APN "Straight Talk" will render the APN invalid!
I've never had any issue with the APN name. I think mine is something like "Straight Talk - AT&T" or "AT&T - Straight Talk". Works just fine. Previously, I was using Straight Talk with T-Mobile and I put "TMO" somewhere in the APN name and it worked with no problems.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I've never had any issue with the APN name. I think mine is something like "Straight Talk - AT&T" or "AT&T - Straight Talk". Works just fine. Previously, I was using Straight Talk with T-Mobile and I put "TMO" somewhere in the APN name and it worked with no problems.
I've never noticed that a problem either. One of mine (AT&T) is called "regular" and the other is "MMS." But, if it works for someone, use it. Nothing seems 100% standard with ST APN's. BTW, I only use the "MMS" one as it seems to do everything. Can't even remember the difference between the two but was having trouble with MMS so I tried a host of suggestions--one of which finally worked.

soullover

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
My ST Service is very slow this month since I renewed 01/05/13
it's hardly 160 kbs DL and over 1 mb UpL

I'm in Columbus Ohio is anyone have the same issue this month.

Coz Many of my friends suffering as me

dmowry7300

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My ST Service is very slow this month since I renewed 01/05/13
it's hardly 160 kbs DL and over 1 mb UpL

I'm in Columbus Ohio is anyone have the same issue this month.

Coz Many of my friends suffering as me

I am also having this same problem. Not sure if I'm being throttled or if it's a problem on their end. My new cycle starts tomorrow so I will update then.

Sent from the "Almighty Nexus 4"

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I am also having this same problem. Not sure if I'm being throttled or if it's a problem on their end. My new cycle starts tomorrow so I will update then.

Sent from the "Almighty Nexus 4"

I'm having the same problem also. Around 200-300kbps download and 1mbps upload.

anon406695

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
So I'm thinking about get ST (T-Mobile) and am wondering how good it is? I know I'll have to have it cut down.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Straight Talk AT&T (Iowa City): tested at all hours of the day, I average 3.5-7Mbps down, 1-1.5Mbps up; I'm interested as to what I'll pull in Chicago, but after graduation (Hawkeye Nation!) I'll most likely switch to the T-Mobile SIM.