Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

bshensky

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been on ST with the TMo SIM since the BYOD program was released about ~9 months ago. Came over from Simple Mobile's $40 faux-3G plan; ironically, ST recently purchased Simple Mobile.

I selected the Tmo SIM at the time on account that I had a Tmo Nexus One (3G on 1700Mhz) and was limited to the Tmo network to retain 3G speeds. I've since moved on to the Nexus 4 this month.

Tmo rolled out a decent HSPA+ network over the last two years, and it's not uncommon for me to reach 13-15Mbps in good coverage areas.

My only criticism of Tmo is that of consistency. The AT&T network tends to have a good blanket of 3G throughout the country. Tmo OTOH concentrates their HSPA+ coverage in more populous areas, which leaves EDGE and even GPRS as the only data connectivity along country roads and 1-light towns. So, the HSPA+ speed is awesome, where you can find it.

If you travel a lot, AT&T may be a better bet. But if you're in a city, suburbs, exurbs, etc, you can blow away your friends' AT&T speeds with Tmo HSPA+.

Final shot: Yeah, LTE is awesome, but there eventually comes a point of diminishing returns on responsiveness and productivity with regard to wireless speed. An additional 10Mbps on an already-fast 10Mbps connection will not make you twice as productive. For this reason, I find the whole LTE-over-HSPA+ argument moot.

ADDENDUM: The gains Tmo made from the failed AT&T merger are indeed real and tangible. My N1 and N4 both show "3G" when not showing "H+" or "E" icons, where the N1 did not do this, say, 6 months ago. It leads me to speculate that Tmo has been able to provision their network devices to leverage AT&T 3G towers where they could not before. Also, ST and Tmo now effortlessly roam AT&T EDGE in places where Tmo used to yield "No Service" before (such as in the northern part of Lower Michigan). So, in many ways, it often now feels like the Tmo network is more like "AT&T-plus", where we get AT&T in previously-weak Tmo areas, and HSPA+ in places where AT&T 3G lags. Again, who needs LTE?

Last edited:

mmtowns

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
Straight Talk AT&T (Iowa City): tested at all hours of the day, I average 3.5-7Mbps down, 1-1.5Mbps up; I'm interested as to what I'll pull in Chicago, but after graduation (Hawkeye Nation!) I'll most likely switch to the T-Mobile SIM.

I am thinking of switching to ST AT&T (and live in Iowa). Thank you for sharing your data speeds. This is encouraging to know.

P.S. Go Hawks.

mmtowns

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
My only criticism of Tmo is that of consistency. The AT&T network tends to have a good blanket of 3G throughout the country. Tmo OTOH concentrates their HSPA+ coverage in more populous areas, which leaves EDGE and even GPRS as the only data connectivity along country roads and 1-light towns. So, the HSPA+ speed is awesome, where you can find it.

If you travel a lot, AT&T may be a better bet. But if you're in a city, suburbs, exurbs, etc, you can blow away your friends' AT&T speeds with Tmo HSPA+.

This has been my experience, too, in Iowa.

crashprone

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I been having issues with ST/ATT data here in SoCal recently. The bars will still gray (no data connection)

When data is working I am getting 6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
So, it seems that yesterday Net10 announced that, effective March 1st, anybody using AT&T sims on Net10 are going to be capped at a hard 1.5GB of data per month.

Rumor seems to be this is coming to Straight Talk also, which makes since given that Straight Talk is pretty much just Net10 rebranded for Walmart.

The Net10 announcement is here here: https://net10data.com/

Ongoing discussions at howard forums...
Net10 AT&T data cap, wonder if this will happen to straight talk.
Ability To Order AT&T Sims Removed From Straight Talk Site - Page 52

Personally, I think I'm OK with it. I'd rather have a known hard cap that some wishy-washy "we'll cap you whenever we're in a bad mood" cap.

joelisenat

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
ST ATT here, pretty sure they are throttling me starting today. 18th day in and used just under 1 gig according to my phone. This is my first month with it on my new N4, so I'm sure I used it a bit more than I normally would, especially in the first week. Really have to say I'm disappointed though.

bshensky

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

Solavei's 'Social Marketing Program' sounds a lot like multi-level marketing of Amway.

That's because it _is_ an MLM program. That's fine, if you're into that sort of thing. But a blanket 2Gb cap statement like that will not get you any new subscribers to prop up your pyramid - not around these parts.

Last I read on these boards, the AT&T SIMs are burdened with a 2Gb cap, while the T-Mobile SIMs have an indeterminate cap believed to be greater than 2Gb, likely 5Gb.

bshensky

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

To wit, a personal experience from this weekend...

I last traveled the US-12 corridor between Detroit and Chicago about 2 years ago, at the time with my Nexus One on the T-Mobile network. That trip, I recall seeing little more than GPRS data speed and quite a few signal dropouts altogether on the leg between Coldwater and Ann Arbor.

Fast forward to this weekend - and I was shocked to see my Nexus 4 (again, same supported frequencies as the Nexus One, plus 1900Mhz this time) sporting HSPA+ data speeds pretty much the entire way between Coldwater and Ann Arbor, with nary a dropout.

The T-Mobile network upgrades are real.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Solavei's 'Social Marketing Program' sounds a lot like multi-level marketing of Amway.

I just wanted to clarify the Solavei plan. It's 4GB unthrottled data - other numbers have been thrown around in this thread. Yes, they have a referral program where you can get paid back, but it's completely optional, and it doesn't change the fact that they have a clearly defined data plan for $49/month on T-Mobile's network . Yes, you can save $4 a month with Straight Talk if you're happy dealing with the mystery data throttling situation.

I chose Solavei because it was the best value for me regardless of the referral aspect. I don't see it being that much different than the various "free calling circles" or back in the day when Sprint to Sprint calls didn't use your minutes. (That's what got us on Sprint many years ago.) It's all about a carrier trying to find a way to get you to recommend them to others. It doesn't do any good if they can't provide good service. So far, I've been very happy with my service.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

Infinite7154

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I just switched from the T-Mo unlimited everything $70 plan. I had no building penetration at home or at work so I got one of the last ST AT&T sims. I got the template to cut it to a micro sim from CNET. Worked like a charm. Got my APN settings from the forums here. Now my phone has data while I'm at work and inside my house. I will say this, I used 8 gb's of data last month using T-Mo (HBO GO and DirecTV) so I will miss that. But I think this will be better for me so I can read about roms and download them right from my phone at work.

thebryceee

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I just switched from the T-Mo unlimited everything $70 plan. I had no building penetration at home or at work so I got one of the last ST AT&T sims. I got the template to cut it to a micro sim from CNET. Worked like a charm. Got my APN settings from the forums here. Now my phone has data while I'm at work and inside my house. I will say this, I used 8 gb's of data last month using T-Mo (HBO GO and DirecTV) so I will miss that. But I think this will be better for me so I can read about roms and download them right from my phone at work.

I hope you have Wi-Fi at work because AT&T is pretty stingy when it comes to data usage on ST. I've heard anywhere from 1.5gb/month to 100mb a day.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Rookie4sho

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

ATT Sim, taken in the Miami area...

What I cant understand is a lot of times my connection shows completely different states although I'm in FL. mostly Nashville TN comes up and KY which makes no sense to me. But I usually still get at least 1 Mbps when it does that. See my second screen, this particular time was actually good. but i live in south FLORIDA! I have no clue why this happens! sometimes a quick Airplane mode will bring it back to Miami or someplace else in FL.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-05-02-04-13.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-05-02-04-13.png
    219.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_2013-03-05-02-14-53.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-05-02-14-53.png
    322.7 KB · Views: 34

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site

ATT Sim, taken in the Miami area...

What I cant understand is a lot of times my connection shows completely different states although I'm in FL. mostly Nashville TN comes up and KY which makes no sense to me. But I usually still get at least 1 Mbps when it does that. See my second screen, this particular time was actually good. but i live in south FLORIDA! I have no clue why this happens! sometimes a quick Airplane mode will bring it back to Miami or someplace else in FL.

I'm in a similar boat like you, only my boats travels further. Check my location and the answers I got.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/257906-speedtest-location-wrong.html

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

I have a ATT sim. I had to hunt it down because they stopped making them. I get excellent download speeds when not throttled. When throttled I only get 250K. It ends up being about as slow as my Virgin Mobile Optimus V was in real time. The 250k is consistent where as VM was all over the place between 50k-500k.

I was throttled at 1.3GB

PaulMilander

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a ATT sim. I had to hunt it down because they stopped making them. I get excellent download speeds when not throttled. When throttled I only get 250K. It ends up being about as slow as my Virgin Mobile Optimus V was in real time. The 250k is consistent where as VM was all over the place between 50k-500k.

I was throttled at 1.3GB

I had the same phone and VM until I got the N4. I too have ST Att.. not happy with the speeds but faster than what I had

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol