I said I was going to wait for Google, but...

IMrMark

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Don't know if it helps the OP, but I was in the same boat yesterday afternoon. Was out shopping after changing some Euros to USD and wandered into a tmo store just to see if they had one on display. Lo and behold, not only did they have one on display, they had two more in the box. Another gent came in while I was talking to her and scooped up one of the two... I did some math and figured, what the heck. Worst case, I hate it and return for the $50 restock. I agree that paying the extra amount feels foolish, but with the amount I could save vs my current verizon plan I decided I would go for it. I do have one on backorder from google, and will still keep that one as well assuming tmo works out overall (two people in my household, so a good amount of cash to save monthly potentially).

I'm coming from a Droid Bionic and I have to say the difference is incredible. I was also an employee at one of the Apple Genius teams in my area until recently as well, so when compared to the iPhone 5 I have also been quite happy. I'm not sure what the complaints are of the screen, but right off the bat I noticed a huge difference in quality vs my everyday phone. My only real complaint so far has been getting setup on tmo, as there was a bit I had to jump through in order to get the phone and the $30 plan online - but that could have just been an off experience. Now just to see how well that actually works out over the next few days. Gonna try to blog the whole thing out on plus..

Good luck with everything, let us know how it turns out!

IMrMark

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
well that was weird, I tried to post ... ugh. hate having to write things a second time.

anyway... dunno if it helps the OP or not, but I was in the exact same boat. Went into more detail the last time around, but had a lot of the same thoughts you did as far as long-term savings, etc. I went and bought it outright. There was some back and forth I had to go through in order to get everything online, but nothing too crazy in the end.

Not sure what the overall issue is with the construction of the phone. Coming from bionic, the thing is beautiful in almost every way. Coming from an Apple Retail Genius team, it holds its own against iPhone 5 without any hesitation. Gonna go the rest of the week before I really commit and cancel the first line of two from my big red plan, but so far so good.

let us know how it works out for you!

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
no it is not that good. It is top 5 maybe but not top 2.
do you have one? from phil's review dawg "So let's start out front. LG's using the same 4.7-inch IPS display at 768x1280 resolution as on the Optimus G. That packs in a few more pixels than the Samsung Galaxy did (a mere 720p wide). IPS displays are known for their brilliance, and LG's proved itself here. Colors, while toned down a tad from the Super AMOLED panel in the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, are very crisp, and individual pixels aren't as apparent. But the biggest difference perhaps is in color temperature. Whites are white again, and side-by-side the Nexus 4 makes the Galaxy Nexus display look like a yellow tobacco stain. If we had to pick two displays to duke it out for the next year, we'd pick LG's IPS display, and the Super LCD2 display being used by HTC."

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Without digging other reviews up. I will make it simple. You say the one x is better so there is one. The dna is definitely above the N4 so that is two. That would make the n4 third, thus putting it in the top five as I said. I could push it further down the line if you like but we can leave it as you being wrong

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Well, I didn't run out and buy it. I'm going to hold off a little bit longer. If it comes down to it, I will go through T-Mobile, but I still have some patience left. As for all the debates. Any time I make a purchase like this, I tend to research it to death. I'm set on getting a Nexus 4. The only question left is when and how much...

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Without digging other reviews up. I will make it simple. You say the one x is better so there is one. The dna is definitely above the N4 so that is two. That would make the n4 third, thus putting it in the top five as I said. I could push it further down the line if you like but we can leave it as you being wrong

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

forgot about dna. your probably going to say iphone 5 and some other 1080p phone

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Would you be kind and post a URL for Gusto?
People willing to pay $499 for a phone that sales elsewhere for $349 is absurd but if you are going to shell out $499, go for the gusto and spend a measly $200 more and get something with much better components, take for instance the iPhone 5, we all know it has better camera front and back and color tends to pop out much better as well as the fact that it has a much smoother functionality about it all the way from browsing the web to using apps, by far iPhone 5 is best bet, but as android goes why not get the LG Optimus G, it is by far the best you can find for GSM android, or better yet the HTC Droid DNA for LTE, that is your picks.

So yes it may be $150 more over 2 years, why not pick a better phone? not saying Nexus 4 is crap, it by far is your best budget phone ever and I would very much wait for that any day of the week.

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I say any money you can save in this economy whether you're financially sound or not makes sense. As far as debating the phone's quality... It's the best phone I've owned, miles ahead of my old Galaxy Nexus, and (coupled with Straight Talk) a huge money saver. That's all that really matters to me.

Basscase

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I went in-store and got the last one of two in all of Portland (only two stores got them and it sounds like they each got maybe 5 N4s). Changed my plan to a "value" plan. Got true unlimited data (no throttle), 1000 (shared) min (down from unlimited...never went over 600), and unlimited text. Only diff from my old plan was the 1000 min down from unlimited, plus I had a 2GB throttle limit, now I don't.

Sure I'm paying more for the phone, but now I'm saving over 50 bucks a month. It'll more than pay for itself in no time. AFAIC it was well worth it.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I went in-store and got the last one of two in all of Portland (only two stores got them and it sounds like they each got maybe 5 N4s). Changed my plan to a "value" plan. Got true unlimited data (no throttle), 1000 (shared) min (down from unlimited...never went over 600), and unlimited text. Only diff from my old plan was the 1000 min down from unlimited, plus I had a 2GB throttle limit, now I don't.

Sure I'm paying more for the phone, but now I'm saving over 50 bucks a month. It'll more than pay for itself in no time. AFAIC it was well worth it.

Yeah I thought the same thing. Sure, $500 is a lot to pay, but T-Mo's Value plan, I'd still come out ahead. I'm currently paying $85/month with AT&T. When I get set up with T-Mo, it will go down to $60/month. I was originally budgeting $200 for a new iPhone or some other Android on contract, but the $150 difference will be paid for after a few months.

u get an order in?

Yes, just before 6P CST yesterday. I'm in the 2-3 week shipping block. The wait isn't as bad knowing I got a spot in line, and have some kind of time frame for receiving a device.

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, I've been using an iPhone for nearly 4 years now, and as much as I like the iPhone wanted to try something different. Plus, the iP5, while a competent device, didn't grab me like the 4 did. AND I was a little afraid of getting it due to the Maps issue. I use Google maps a LOT and can't afford to have bad directions, as I drive a lot for work. Also, the numbers don't add up. Even if I get the N4 at full cost and go with a T-Mo Value plan, I still spend less in the long run. An iPhone 5 on a 2 year contract with AT&T will cost me $2240 over two years (not including taxes and fees, just the cost of the phone and service). A full cost N4 through T-Mobile, with a 2 year contract will cost $1940 over two years. My cheapest option is buying the N4 through Google and going T-Mo month to month at a cost of $1790 over two years.Also, I can live without LTE, since HSPA+ is pretty fast in my area. What I CAN'T live with is bloatware and silly looking UI's added by manufacturers.

I also like tinkering with things, and the N4 seems perfect for that. I jailbroke my iPhone several times, but to my knowledge, there is currently no public jailbreak for the iP5.

Guess I'll sleep on it and see how I feel tomorrow.
Why in the world would the Maps app bother you! Just don't use it...and install Google maps. Myself I use MapQuest because it sends routes directly to my car. On occasion I also use Google maps because they are good. I also use Lincoln Mobile that can save maps for my car, and I can call them up in the car. All the time I used my iPhone 5 I don't think I used the Apple Maps app, but it is getting a little more interesting now that OSX Mavericks also has an Apple Maps app. Going to be fun seeing how the App on the computer interacts with the iOS app.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Why in the world would the Maps app bother you! Just don't use it...and install Google maps. Myself I use MapQuest because it sends routes directly to my car. On occasion I also use Google maps because they are good. I also use Lincoln Mobile that can save maps for my car, and I can call them up in the car. All the time I used my iPhone 5 I don't think I used the Apple Maps app, but it is getting a little more interesting now that OSX Mavericks also has an Apple Maps app. Going to be fun seeing how the App on the computer interacts with the iOS app.

Well, to begin with, that comment was over s year old. And Apple maps were in a very different place this time last year.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18