I said I was going to wait for Google, but...

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I found a local T-Mobile store that has a N4 in stock. Thinking of going tomorrow morning to see if they still have it. I hate the idea of paying full price for the phone, but on the other hand, the service is $25/month less than what I'm paying with AT&T. I would still save money in the long run, versus sticking with At&t (either with a N4 or another phone on contract), but will be paying $150 more over two years compared to buying through Google and switching to T-Mobile.

So even if I buy at full price, I'm still saving money, just not as much, and $150 is easy to absorb over two years.... Then again, I am quite a penny pincher at times.... Then again, I've been wanting to get a new phone for a few months now.

Grrr.....

mlarco52

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
LOL it sounds like you're trying to convince your self...to be honest if you're in that bad of a need for a phone then go for it as the 25$ a month savings is great (300$ a year). But if you can hold out another few weeks you may just be golden. All depends on your situation and eagerness to get your hands no the N4 or need to get a new phone.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
It depends how badly do you want, if you willing to wait another week or two for the N4 through google do it, It depends how you are liking your current service also.
Its up to you, not us. I suggest do whatever work's out the cheapest with the best service. $150 difference is nothing if you work a lot n well pad, if you a teen might want to save a bit of $$

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm no teenager. At 37 I don't make a lot of money, but I can easily afford the phone.

And, yes, in a way I'm trying to convince myself, HAHA! I mean, really, most of us don't really NEED a N4 or any top of the line smart phone. My iPhone 3G, as old and slow as it is, still takes care of basic functions. And while I do use it for work (I'm self employed), it still gets the job done. So the question of wait or not is really not a life or death necessity, but honestly, I've been seriously looking for a phone for a few months now. I waited out the iPhone 5 launch and subsequent shortage, then decided I wanted an Android, wasn't fully impressed by anything I saw and waited for the Nexus 4 to come out. I love what I've seen so far, but alas there is a shortage.

So, I suppose after a few weeks of reading this and other forums extensively, I'm just voicing some thoughts, although I'm still no where near the emotional turmoil some of those in the "fanboy" crowd seem to be going through. :) It's not the end of the world, but it is getting more tempting, especially since there is no definite info on a re-stock date through the Play store. Either way, I'll get one.

mlarco52

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
In all honesty it sounds like you're not too bad off in needing or wanting a new phone (some people were just obsessed lol) I'd wait it out, an extra 150$ in your pocket won't hurt from the savings via google play store? And you can always go to t-mobile right when you receive the phone and get the less expensive plan also. Win, win, you save twice the money and only wait possibly a few weeks longer.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Well since you say everything g is still functional on the ip3,it just comes down to money. I am no teen either, but I am more impatient than a five year old so the 150$ over 2 years would be worth it for me.

On the flip side, I am not much of an early adopter. I like to wait a month for development to get rolling and know what bugs are potential hazards.

It seems that is what I would do with this phone.... It seems like either a ton of people have serious issues, or the phone has some. I am betting it is the people that have the issues....

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Well, I've been using an iPhone for nearly 4 years now, and as much as I like the iPhone wanted to try something different. Plus, the iP5, while a competent device, didn't grab me like the 4 did. AND I was a little afraid of getting it due to the Maps issue. I use Google maps a LOT and can't afford to have bad directions, as I drive a lot for work. Also, the numbers don't add up. Even if I get the N4 at full cost and go with a T-Mo Value plan, I still spend less in the long run. An iPhone 5 on a 2 year contract with AT&T will cost me $2240 over two years (not including taxes and fees, just the cost of the phone and service). A full cost N4 through T-Mobile, with a 2 year contract will cost $1940 over two years. My cheapest option is buying the N4 through Google and going T-Mo month to month at a cost of $1790 over two years.Also, I can live without LTE, since HSPA+ is pretty fast in my area. What I CAN'T live with is bloatware and silly looking UI's added by manufacturers.

I also like tinkering with things, and the N4 seems perfect for that. I jailbroke my iPhone several times, but to my knowledge, there is currently no public jailbreak for the iP5.

Guess I'll sleep on it and see how I feel tomorrow.

Last edited:

jimmycinla

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
If you must have it now, buy it and put it on StraightTalk, its less than $42 a month unlimited for tmobiles 4G network with a 3 month card. Ive been using ST for 4 months now with zero issues.

J

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
People willing to pay $499 for a phone that sales elsewhere for $349 is absurd but if you are going to shell out $499, go for the gusto and spend a measly $200 more and get something with much better components, take for instance the iPhone 5, we all know it has better camera front and back and color tends to pop out much better as well as the fact that it has a much smoother functionality about it all the way from browsing the web to using apps, by far iPhone 5 is best bet, but as android goes why not get the LG Optimus G, it is by far the best you can find for GSM android, or better yet the HTC Droid DNA for LTE, that is your picks.

So yes it may be $150 more over 2 years, why not pick a better phone? not saying Nexus 4 is crap, it by far is your best budget phone ever and I would very much wait for that any day of the week.

What...are you doing

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
People willing to pay $499 for a phone that sales elsewhere for $349 is absurd but if you are going to shell out $499, go for the gusto and spend a measly $200 more and get something with much better components, take for instance the iPhone 5, we all know it has better camera front and back and color tends to pop out much better as well as the fact that it has a much smoother functionality about it all the way from browsing the web to using apps, by far iPhone 5 is best bet, but as android goes why not get the LG Optimus G, it is by far the best you can find for GSM android, or better yet the HTC Droid DNA for LTE, that is your picks.

So yes it may be $150 more over 2 years, why not pick a better phone? not saying Nexus 4 is crap, it by far is your best budget phone ever and I would very much wait for that any day of the week.

Are you implying that the Nexus 4 is a 'budget phone' . you say iPhone internals are better yet it lacks quad core, true HD, and NFC. Everything else is based on personal preferences between the two os. But you can't say the iPhone has better 'internals'. One phone can only be better than another based on personal preference BUT the fact that the Nexus 4 is industry leading in terms of specs and hardware(besides the lack of LTE) AND is only $349.... Well that just means Google is doing something right...

Burleson90

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I bought mine through tmobile and did a contract $200 out the door with the activation waived and bought in Oregon so no sales tax. After a couple days with it making sure it works fine I will pay the $200 ETF and put it on my AT&T account. $400 total plus about a week of tmobiles service is slightly more than the $350 +tax and shipping.but at least I have the phone now and was able to inspect it before leaving the store.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Are you implying that the Nexus 4 is a 'budget phone' . you say iPhone internals are better yet it lacks quad core, true HD, and NFC. Everything else is based on personal preferences between the two os. But you can't say the iPhone has better 'internals'. One phone can only be better than another based on personal preference BUT the fact that the Nexus 4 is industry leading in terms of specs and hardware(besides the lack of LTE) AND is only $349.... Well that just means Google is doing something right...

I think what he really means is that it is a budget price.

I will just stop there

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
What I am saying is really, LG skimped out and got cheap components for this device, I can't really say that for sure, but step back and look at it as a whole, now what is it lacking? Screen that pops with vibrant colors...doesn't have it, a camera that takes awesome pictures as a phone...no, they are washed out...you can call it natural color BS all you want it not going to change the fact that the colors don't pop out and it gives off the washed out look, does it focus so well you get very nice detail in your pictures...no, can't take pics that without having a good bit of grainy noise and very much a lack of edge detail, not to mention quality, I am seeing bugs here and there, I don't think they do much quality testing before shipped out to Google, it may have all the goodies, but face it, LG went budget on this phone to be able to have it for consumers for this price.

But, if you can overlook those few disappointments....yes disappointments and look at it as having those goodies in it at a nice price, it is best budget phone you will ever have with all the updated specs, face it this is true.

It makes me chuckle every time I hear someone complain about their PHONE not taking good pictures. Thanks for the laugh. Now if only my lawn mowers speakers had more bass I would be set.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Well, I've used the phone in person, and seen plenty of pictures from the camera. They all look fine to me. If I want anything more I'll buy an actual camera and not a phone.

Maybe as a Foxconn employee you should concentrate on your own company's problem and learn how to produce iPhone 5's that don't come scratched from the factory and don't leak light around the edges of the screen. Or figure out why your employees are rioting and killing themselves.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
What I am saying is really, LG skimped out and got cheap components for this device, I can't really say that for sure, but step back and look at it as a whole, now what is it lacking? Screen that pops with vibrant colors...doesn't have it, a camera that takes awesome pictures as a phone...no, they are washed out...you can call it natural color BS all you want it not going to change the fact that the colors don't pop out and it gives off the washed out look, does it focus so well you get very nice detail in your pictures...no, can't take pics that without having a good bit of grainy noise and very much a lack of edge detail, not to mention quality, I am seeing bugs here and there, I don't think they do much quality testing before shipped out to Google, it may have all the goodies, but face it, LG went budget on this phone to be able to have it for consumers for this price.

But, if you can overlook those few disappointments....yes disappointments and look at it as having those goodies in it at a nice price, it is best budget phone you will ever have with all the updated specs, face it this is true.

I have a ton of disdain for the N4, but I have to disagree a bit with your post.

The camera, while not great compared to some, is a certain improvement over the Gnex. The screen is good so I am not sure of the complaint there. I see it as above average.

There are a lot of things that outright suck on this phone, but those really are not really two of them.