Today Nexus 4 Daily Steals

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Since Google helped make the phone I'm sure they put their own manpower and money into it hence lowering the cost of Research and Dev to nearly nothing.

I'd imagine since Google is scratching their back with early access to software and that they helped make the phone that Google is getting the price at cost or very near cost.

I have a hard time believing that Google is buying these things at $400 and selling them at $350.

Then again retailers need to make money and Google isn't exactly about doing it in the hardware side of the business. These retailers could be buying them at $199 and reselling for more, we just don't know. But either way, this is a good deal for those who are not wanting to wait for more stock. I've bought from Dailysteals and they are obv no Amazon but it didn't take forever to get to me either. Week or so when I bought my S2.

There's one possible subsidy right there. Those hardware and software engineers don't work for free.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
a) no one is obligated to buy it from Daily Steals. Heck, no one is obligated to buy it. Period.

b) you being right about that has nothing to do with what the price actually is (the price Google is paying LG to supply them with this phone)

c) so who's supplying the phone, LG or Google? Oh that's right. LG.
Frankly, if you have any documentation (original source, preferably) about what price Google is paying LG, please do present it. Otherwise, your guess is no better than anyone else's as to what it might be. LG may well be giving Google a better deal than it is other retailers for the privilege of showcasing the Nexus brand. I don't know. Frankly, neither do you.

It's irrelevant who is "supplying" the phone. But on that point, both Google and LG are "supplying" it. LG is merely manufacturing it. Google is putting the software on it. But who is supplying it is irrelevant in terms of what price it is being sold for. The price "actually" is what Google is selling it for, simply because that's the price Google is selling it for. Again, the price someone is willing to pay is not the same as the actual price. I have no problem if people want to buy it for $500. I do have a problem when people pretend that $500 is some sort of a "steal" or even is the actual price. It's an inflated price simply because it's more than what Google is/will be selling it for.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
There's one possible subsidy right there. Those hardware and software engineers don't work for free.

That's my point. It's sorta a subsidy but not exactly because Google would be paying them anyway. So while its somewhat a subsidy, I just don't believe Google is buying the phones at $400 and marking them down less for the sake of the customer.

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Jesus some people have to argue and argue just to be "right." The real simple way to know they aren't selling it at manufacturing cost is by comparing the same or similar parts in other phones, which all mysteriously cost more. You could even research the actual prices on the parts, but I know that's too much work.. its much more efficient to just say everyone is wrong and argue facts.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Jesus some people have to argue and argue just to be "right." The real simple way to know they aren't selling it at manufacturing cost is by comparing the same or similar parts in other phones, which all mysteriously cost more. You could even research the actual prices on the parts, but I know that's too much work.. its much more efficient to just say everyone is wrong and argue facts.
Actually it's not simple at all to know that by comparing similar phones. All that could mean is that the manufacturer is reaping a higher amount of profit from those other phones than they are from the Nexus 4. It does not mean the price of the Nexus 4 is necessarily below cost. Why would people buy something similar for a higher price? Tons of reasons: they don't know any better, they have never heard of the Nexus 4, they are not willing to wait - they want it NOW, they have money to spend, they like how the other phone looks. We overpay for stuff all the time. We know our tap water is perfectly safe to drink and still buy bottled water. We know we can get a Windows PC with similar specs for half the price and still buy Macs. Hell, people know the iOS 6' maps suck and they can find a comparable Android phone at a lower price and still go gaga to get an iPhone 5. There is no reason to assume that price is the only consideration given comparable specs, or even that price considerations are rational for consumers.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Guys, please remember that the Nexus 4 has the innards of an already existing phone, the LG Optimus G. It even has the same "dot matrix" glass back!

So Google and LG saved a ton of money on R&D by using an already existing and developed phone. Pretty much, all they did was make the case a little more rounded. That saved them a ton of money on research, development and manufacturing of this phone for sure.

They passed on those savings to us. Hence the lower cost.

From the complete tear downs that tech experts have done on this phone, they have stated that Google/LG are selling this phone at a very slight PROFIT! Yes, you read right: The components, labor and manufacturing were tallied and Google/LG are charging a hair over actual cost of the product.

Realize that they never meant to make any real money on the hardware. That GOOGLE PLAY content sales was where they always expected and PLANNED for their money to come from!

So the " how much it costs" debate is moot. It's already been stated how much it cost to make. Google it yourself.

Anyone paying more than the retail price is getting shafted.

"A fool and his money are quickly parted."

Don't be a fool and pay those prices. Wait for stock to replenish or get in on all these holiday deal by getting another phone really cheap.

Don't ever pay scalper prices. You're just encouraging them to continue ripping off people. If they can't offload products at 200%+ profit then we wouldn't have them charging these insane prices.

Want them to go away? STOP BUYING FROM THEM! Period.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Frankly, if you have any documentation (original source, preferably) about what price Google is paying LG, please do present it. Otherwise, your guess is no better than anyone else's as to what it might be. LG may well be giving Google a better deal than it is other retailers for the privilege of showcasing the Nexus brand. I don't know. Frankly, neither do you.

It's irrelevant who is "supplying" the phone. But on that point, both Google and LG are "supplying" it. LG is merely manufacturing it. Google is putting the software on it. But who is supplying it is irrelevant in terms of what price it is being sold for. The price "actually" is what Google is selling it for, simply because that's the price Google is selling it for. Again, the price someone is willing to pay is not the same as the actual price. I have no problem if people want to buy it for $500. I do have a problem when people pretend that $500 is some sort of a "steal" or even is the actual price. It's an inflated price simply because it's more than what Google is/will be selling it for.

But LG sells the phone too, in-line with what they sell their other phones for.

Of course, it's a guess with a suggested price from LG to a retailer. That's enough for me.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
If you thought the Play Store was slow to ship, you've never bought anything from Daily Steal. It'll take about three weeks to get your phone.

I even wonder if Daily Steal actually has these in stock, or if they have a large corporate pre-order in with LG for a buttload of them and they'll get them about the time the Play Store has them back in stock and/or they are available through other retail outlets (assuming LG is planning on a retail launch like Asus did with the Nexus 7).

As far as the whole "retail price" discussion, this usually means MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price), which is set by the manufacturer. If the manufacturer doesn't make up a number retailers will often make something up, and they can pretty much make up whatever number they want. For MSRP, it's what the manufacturer SUGGESTS the item is worth. For some manufacturers, that "suggestion" has some teeth behind it - sales agreements may prevent a vendor from discounting the item below MSRP and/or publishing the price on price lists (that's what "Click for Price!" links on Amazon and other sites are about - they are below-MSRP pricing with a selling agreement that forbids listing prices below MSRP, but does not forbid actually selling the item below MSRP).

On most items, the street price is lower than the MSRP. LG has (supposedly) set the MSRP at the retail level at 600 euro for European retailers.

In this case, Google is NOT the manufacturer, and therefore cannot dictate LG's MSRP if Google authorizes LG to sell it directly as Asus did with the N7. Google can dictate the price they choose to sell it at, but that's not MSRP. That's Google's selling price. Two very different numbers from two very different sources.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Guys, please remember that the Nexus 4 has the innards of an already existing phone, the LG Optimus G. It even has the same "dot matrix" glass back!

So Google and LG saved a ton of money on R&D by using an already existing and developed phone. Pretty much, all they did was make the case a little more rounded. That saved them a ton of money on research, development and manufacturing of this phone for sure.

They passed on those savings to us. Hence the lower cost.

From the complete tear downs that tech experts have done on this phone, they have stated that Google/LG are selling this phone at a very slight PROFIT! Yes, you read right: The components, labor and manufacturing were tallied and Google/LG are charging a hair over actual cost of the product.

Realize that they never meant to make any real money on the hardware. That GOOGLE PLAY content sales was where they always expected and PLANNED for their money to come from!

So the " how much it costs" debate is moot. It's already been stated how much it cost to make. Google it yourself.

Anyone paying more than the retail price is getting shafted.

"A fool and his money are quickly parted."

Don't be a fool and pay those prices. Wait for stock to replenish or get in on all these holiday deal by getting another phone really cheap.

Don't ever pay scalper prices. You're just encouraging them to continue ripping off people. If they can't offload products at 200%+ profit then we wouldn't have them charging these insane prices.

Want them to go away? STOP BUYING FROM THEM! Period.

Sent from my Nexus 4

But please understand that there's more than just the parts that make up the cost of a phone.

There's evidence out there that suggests that the components that make up a smartphone usually total from $150 to $300. I don't think anyone is debating that fact. I am certainly not.

My suggestion that Google is eating some soft of manufacturing/production cost is simply about Google's price vs. LG's price. Based on (1) the the retail cost of other smartphones and that fact that some companies barely break even and (2) what LG is trying to sell the Nexus 4 for vs. what Google is selling the phone for, I firmly believe that Google is subsidizing the hardware in order to make money on the content (apps, media, and your information).

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Just because Google is selling it for $299/$349 doesn't mean that's the real cost of the device.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Actually it does.

Go online and it's 350, that's as real as it gets

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Actually it does.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

lol.

I'd respond, but it'll just be a re-hash of what I posted above.

So I leave you with an oldie from my days at Howard Forums, RMPL = read more, post less.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Selling price for any specific vendor should not be confused with MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price).

Google is selling it for $350. $350 is Google's sales price. Google is not the manufacturer.

No one else is obligated in any way to use Google's sales price as the basis for any discounting. The price that a particular vendor happens to sell something at, even if that vendor's name is associated with the product, has little to do with MSRP (unless that manufacturer enforces MSRP as the actual sales price for all vendors).

When LG starts selling Nexus 4 units directly, they can sell them for any price they want, and suggest any MSRP they want. Google, as their primary licensor for the product, can influence that price - but T-Mobile's separated pricing for the N4 has already proven that Google is not interested in subsidizing the device through any channel other than the Play Store.

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Is this a pretty reliable site? I mean how do they have any and why are they selling them so cheap? Not really cheap but compared to what they could get it is. Anyways has anyone ordered from them and how is the service?

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Is this a pretty reliable site? I mean how do they have any and why are they selling them so cheap? Not really cheap but compared to what they could get it is. Anyways has anyone ordered from them and how is the service?

I bought my S2 from them and it worked out fine. There are many reports of slow shipping but they are reliable enough, idk where they got their stock and why they are selling so "cheap", but its not a terrible deal if you don't want to wait for the store to restock.

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I think I'll pass on this. Way to many bad reviews, especially shipping. I'm pretty sure they charge you and then buy the item and then ship. It shouldn't take 10+ days to ship anything that's in stock. They even say "things" may happen that may take longer. Yeah, like Google not having any for a few more weeks.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I think I'll pass on this. Way to many bad reviews, especially shipping. I'm pretty sure they charge you and then buy the item and then ship. It shouldn't take 10+ days to ship anything that's in stock. They even say "things" may happen that may take longer. Yeah, like Google not having any for a few more weeks.

Sounds like a wise move. I actually wonder if they have any in stock, or if there are making a $150 markup to be Google's "backorder" service. I can't imagine Google/LG would release a bunch of them to an outfit like this with backorders still pending.

Then again, Asus did have the Nexus 7 at Staples and other retail outlets before Google shipped some of the pre-orders, so maybe these are LG-sourced phones that didn't go through Google.