IMEI number

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Did I just screw myself if my carrier has my IMEI number to my Nexus 4? What can they do with that number? I went in to get it all worked out cause I was having some data issues but they put in the IMEI number of my device to my account. I'm new to unlocked phones so not sure and wondering.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

mattatwar1

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, they can see what phone your using on there network (beyond that idk)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I think they can lock it to their network too

They can lock it within their network by telling the network to ignore/reject connection requests from your IMEI# (blacklisting the IMEI), but unless they publish it to some cross-carrier database as a stolen phone, they can't do anything using the IMEI that would prevent you from using the phone on another network. That takes changes to the phone itself (to have the phone reject connection attempts to other carriers), and the whole point of Nexus (other than Verizon and Sprint ones) is that the carriers don't write firmware for them.

I don't know how it might relate to using a service reseller like Straight Talk, however. If you somehow did something to honk off AT&T, and then you got an AT&T SIM from Straight Talk, I don't know if that IMEI# block would be recognized and respected when you tried to use your IMEI# on the AT&T network with a new StraightTalk SIM.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
They can lock it within their network by telling the network to ignore/reject connection requests from your IMEI# (blacklisting the IMEI), but unless they publish it to some cross-carrier database as a stolen phone, they can't do anything using the IMEI that would prevent you from using the phone on another network. That takes changes to the phone itself (to have the phone reject connection attempts to other carriers), and the whole point of Nexus (other than Verizon and Sprint ones) is that the carriers don't write firmware for them.

I don't know how it might relate to using a service reseller like Straight Talk, however. If you somehow did something to honk off AT&T, and then you got an AT&T SIM from Straight Talk, I don't know if that IMEI# block would be recognized and respected when you tried to use your IMEI# on the AT&T network with a new StraightTalk SIM.

I plan on leaving AT&T after my contract ends and going to T Mobile so I just wanted to make sure they can't lock it to AT&T or something like that. Thanks for the information as well :)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I plan on leaving AT&T after my contract ends and going to T Mobile so I just wanted to make sure they can't lock it to AT&T or something like that. Thanks for the information as well :)

The IMEI# is basically like the VIN number on your car. It can't be changed, but neither can it make any changes to the car itself.

If you register a car in one state and the state blacklists your VIN#, you can't get a new license plate in that state. It doesn't stop your car from running, and unless two states have reciprocal agreements and are sharing blacklisted VIN#s, it won't stop another state from issuing your car a license plate.

Plus, as long as you terminate your AT&T account on good terms (contract runs out or you pay your ETF) and you don't owe AT&T any money and the phone is not reported as stolen or anything, they have absolutely no reason to blacklist your IMEI#. So you should be able to freely sell your N4 to someone else who can go to AT&T (or return to AT&T yourself some day) and activate the phone on their network again without any problems.

Ladeef

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I can't seem to get a competent tech on the phone to help me with this 4G plan. Anyone else have any luck? I'm still on my iphone 4s plan.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
To be clear, as long as you purchased your N4 for full retail (I am fairly sure that is the only an at&t customer could purchase an N4), there is nothing at&t can do to your phone.

The caveat is if you signed a contract to purchase an at&t branded handset and you are still under contract, while they cannot do anything to your N4 they can force you to pay any ETFs or fees associated with breaking your contract.

The way to look at it is this, you own your phone and are essentially using a mobile provider (in your case at&t) as a dumb pipe. As well as you own the phone and it is unlocked out of the box, so you can take it to any compatible carrier (i.e. GSM)

The carrier knows your IMEI because that is how your phone identifies itself to the network, but your carrier does not do anything with that information other than to ensure that you are paying for the right services your phone is capable of using.

Dan

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I can't seem to get a competent tech on the phone to help me with this 4G plan. Anyone else have any luck? I'm still on my iphone 4s plan.

This is generally the hardest part of dealing with a US mobile provider, most employees (at&t employees in your case) mindset is dealing with branded and sold handsets vs. unlocked/unbranded handsets.

My best advice would be to check and ensure your APN settings are correct with regards to the type of plan they have you on (in your case the iPhone plan)

As I have never owned an iPhone, I am not 100% positive of the correct APN settings, but if memory serves the iPhone was the first handset to use the "phone" APN and thus might be something to try before dealing with at&t which can be frustrating.

Potential APN

(Settings - > Wireless & Networks - > More - Mobile Networks - > Access Point Names)

If under whatever name is in larger text the word "phone" appears than unfortunately you are going to have to deal with at&t to have the switch you to the correct plan.

However, if you see the words, "wap.cingular" than simply changing the APN might solve the issue for you.

(Menu - > New APN)

Name: Whatever you like, I used at&t HSPA+

APN: Phone

Proxy: leave blank

Username: leave blank

Password : leave blank

Server: leave blank

MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net

MMSC proxy: proxy.mobole.att.net

MMS port: 80

MCC: DO NOT CHANGE

MNC: DO NOT CHANGE