Have you cracked your Nexus 4 yet?

Parth Ghetia

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This beezy is going straight into an Otterbox when I get one. Speaking of, why is everyone lagging on cases for this phone?
Because there aren't any good ones available. It's actually quite irritating. I already have micro scratches on the back of my Nexus 4, even though some people believe the reviewers that say it's Gorilla Glass 2 on the back as well. From my experience, it could have been soft plastic because it scratches so easily.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Cracked? Try shattered. It was in my cargo pocket during a motorcycle accident on marble-sized gravel and I landed on it, smashing the back in three places and leaving cracks running up and down the whole back.

Geez man, sucks about the phone but at least you're alright (and able to order a new one haha).

Really? I mean I hope it wasn't just a joy ride. I hope you absolutely had to be riding a motorcycle with your phone in your pocket. Please tell me you weren't just dicking around on a bike!

...are you serious right now? Why can't someone keep a phone in their pocket? Please tell me you're being sarcastic... please. I mean, accidents happen and you won't always be prepared for them. At least the guy is alive and well. It's a phone man, relax about it.

The last time I dropped my phone was my first cell phone back in 2000. I think that Nokia brick chipped the curb. The only time since then has been sliding off the couch a foot off the floor onto carpet. So I pretty much don't drop my phones. It really really surprises me how much talk there is of dropping and breaking phones. Definitely not judging anyone, but I just picture people doing the Wop all day, phone in hand.

That is extremely impressive! Well sir, props to you. I'm not saying no one ever drops a phone, but dropping is definitely more common than not. Though I'm with you partly: I've dropped the hell out of every phone I've owned, from my Nokia 5125 ('02) til my Droid X and have only legitimately broken 1 or 2.

Freshly_Snipes

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
That is extremely impressive! Well sir, props to you. I'm not saying no one ever drops a phone, but dropping is definitely more common than not. Though I'm with you partly: I've dropped the hell out of every phone I've owned, from my Nokia 5125 ('02) til my Droid X and have only legitimately broken 1 or 2.

I've never stopped nor scratched or damaged any mobile pager, phone, 2way or camel I've owned. I take special care and attention if it's getting out of the car, I use a leather carry holster, screen protectors and forward thinking before I do things. I never put a phone in my pockets. Pockets makes moisture, can crush the phone if sitting wrong,etc. I like my things (laptop, car, phone, jewelry,etc) all the way I bought them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
i will also say that i am extremely cautious with my stuff and almost never dropped my galaxy nexus or previous phones, especially from a high level.

however, this phone has the propensity to slide off of surfaces and is very slippery. it has slid off my night stand like 3 times when the charger is plugged in but luckily it wasn't damaged and now i have a wireless charging plate to set it on which it doesnt slide around on.

doug9000

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
23 replys, two pictures one motorcycle crash and one front shatter. Guess the back dosen't shatter if you breathe on it after all.

saeufer

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Because there aren't any good ones available. It's actually quite irritating. I already have micro scratches on the back of my Nexus 4, even though some people believe the reviewers that say it's Gorilla Glass 2 on the back as well. From my experience, it could have been soft plastic because it scratches so easily.

It's definitely glass ;)

But I don't think it's Gorilla Glass 2; when it was intact, the reflections in the front glass (e.g. of an overhead light bulb) looked different than those in the back glass.

And yeah, where are the decent quality cases?! Hopefully by the time I can get a non-broken N4 there will be better options than the TPU or silicone cases out there now. The Otterbox Commuter on my old BlackBerry kept it like new even after 2 years in the field, which included getting dropped from ladders, falling off the top of a truck, a few incidents involving tractors, etc.

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The only phone I have ever shattered the screen on was in a Otterbox case and the phone was only dropped at waist height. Otterbox will not save your phone.

isawdrones

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It's definitely glass ;)

But I don't think it's Gorilla Glass 2; when it was intact, the reflections in the front glass (e.g. of an overhead light bulb) looked different than those in the back glass..

Perhaps this is due to the touch sensor and screen on the front? Just pointing out there is a lot more going on than the glass on the front.

D3lit3

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So I think we've established that:

- Drive a car, not a bike

- Don't live in San Francisco or the Piza Tower with a N4 and make sure your surfaces are level.

- Keep the phone out of your pocket and I would suggest a leather holster or sleeve.

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
So I think we've established that:

- Drive a car, not a bike

- Don't live in San Francisco or the Piza Tower with a N4 and make sure your surfaces are level.

- Keep the phone out of your pocket and I would suggest a leather holster or sleeve.

this phone does mighty well in SF. It was designed near by mostly by engineers who live here. :)

MrSherms

Great Googley Moogley!
May 4, 2012
Visit site
Cracked? Try shattered. It was in my cargo pocket during a motorcycle accident on marble-sized gravel and I landed on it, smashing the back in three places and leaving cracks running up and down the whole back. The front was unscathed, but sadly the camera no longer works. Luckily it's covered by my credit card's accidental damage protection, but now all my efforts to get an order in for launch day are for nothing cos I can't order a replacement. My cheapo TPU case came in the mail today, a little late but likely wouldn't have helped.

Note: I am not in any way suggesting that the phone should've survived being landed on by a big guy crashing a motorcycle, just fulfilling the request for pics.

http://i.imgur.com/0WuN9.jpg

Thanks for the picture and sorry about the accident. Hopefully you fared better than the phone, and hopefully you can pick up a new one when they are sold in the Play store today!

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
It was a joke about hills. You must be an engineer :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

nope, I just live in SF. I work in finance. more afraid of an earth quake rattling it off a table. :eek:

My roommate is a computer programmer who works for Moto/Google though.

Kaenon

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The only phone I have ever shattered the screen on was in a Otterbox case and the phone was only dropped at waist height. Otterbox will not save your phone.

I beg to differ.

One Halloween night downtown, I dropped my iPhone 4 in an Otterbox 5 or 6 times, I can't remember, and the phone was in perfect condition.

doug9000

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Did you drop it 5 or 6 times without the Otterbox on it? If not your story is anecdotal and proves nothing :)
Also a Iphone is not a Nexus a direct corollary can not be assumed.
That being said the dam phone is slippery and a Otterbox would be wise.

I beg to differ.

One Halloween night downtown, I dropped my iPhone 4 in an Otterbox 5 or 6 times, I can't remember, and the phone was in perfect condition.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I am sure there will be lots of these just like with the iphone 4/4s. An all glass phone isn't a smart idea. They should take some notes from htc( if you want to go more industrial like the nexus 1, or samsung even though people like to cry about "cheap plastic")