Two weeks later - $400 spent, hours of frustration and NO PHONE

Vortura

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I ordered a Nexus 4 on 13-November after battling through Google's stunningly inept roll out and ordering process. Three days later I finally received a notice that my phone had shipped. After it didn't arrive on the expected date I contacted UPS. My shipment was "lost" in their system. Each day I checked the tracking information I was informed it would arrive by the end of the next day. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday passed (no Thursday due to Thanksgiving) and no phone.

After contacting UPS I was informed that I should get Google to start a trace on my shipment so they could begin an investigation. I was told they couldn't start an investigation unless the shipper requested it. Later, on another call, I was told I could in fact start my own investigation by going to a page on their site.

Anyway, I contacted Google. The first customer service representative said they'd start an investigation with UPS and follow up with me on Monday. He said they'd most likely send me another phone, though he wasn't sure about it. Monday came and I received an email indicating they wanted my consent to disable the phone as it was now "lost" or "stolen." I consented. I also contacted UPS and was informed that they hadn't been contacted by Google.

Today I called Google's alleged customer support service. The phone had in fact not been disabled as they had finally contacted UPS and were told the same thing I'd been told for more than a week - the phone will arrive by the end of the next day. I explained that I had the same information from UPS, that I just wanted my phone and could they please resolve this issue.

The only resolution offered was to disable the phone, which apparently cancels the order, and then re-order the phone myself. Because of Google's internal policies their representatives are apparently not allowed to make a replacement order, despite what the previous representative said.

So my options were to wait for the shipment that will never arrive or effectively cancel my order and re-order the phone myself. I cancelled the order (I hope).

Just a terrible experience all the way around. It is unfortunate because I have been a Google customer for quite a while. I have a Chromebook, a Nexus 7, a Google TV box (Logitech Revue) and previously used a Nexus S as my primary phone.

This experience combined with Android 4.2, which seems to have totally crapped out my Nexus 7, just makes me think Google is losing it.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This always seems to happen with any new big hit devices. Suppy and demand always come into play, no matter how well a carrier or OEM prepares for a launch it never seems to be enough. Coupled with various shippers and places of product being sold it turns into a big mess...

Sorry things didn't work out for you, hopefully things will improve next time around. I agree you think Google would be a little more prepared for such a launch of a new Nexus device especially under a new OEM but that doesn't seem to quite be the case. I guess this is also a compliment in some respects showing how much popularity Android is gaining with every passing moment because these big releases really draw in the customers.

user00265

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
If you have tried and failed and feel that neither UPS nor Google are trying to do anything about it (Google is dealing with back orders and a lot of flak right now), you might as well file a complaint for items not received with your card company. You have up to 30 days or so (varies by issuer) to report a transaction and they have up to 45 days to dispute it.

Vortura

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Done and done :)

If you have tried and failed and feel that neither UPS nor Google are trying to do anything about it (Google is dealing with back orders and a lot of flak right now), you might as well file a complaint for items not received with your card company. You have up to 30 days or so (varies by issuer) to report a transaction and they have up to 45 days to dispute it.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this has anything to do with this but i read from this site that google doesn't really have a warehouse to dump the nexus 4 and this may cause slower times to deliver and less stock available and that's why they sold out so quick. There is this one business on the border of canada and US that the article said UPS would go to, take the Nexus 4 and ship it a lot quicker than now and there would be fewer problems
Not sure, read this article some time ago and I don't remember all the details.

DaMaDo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat....called Google today after UPS finally changed my "out for delivery" to "exception" with a tracer service requested.

Google told me they would deactivate the lost device (and issue a refund) and I would have to re-order another one and wait the 6-7 weeks (now having to pay shipping).

I think they should at least bump my new order to the top. Even though it's UPS's fault, I still consider it the sales experience until it's in my hands.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star