Delete Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Should we still be charged for 2 day shipping?

I ordered in the first wave and got my phone on the 5th buisness day. So i did not get a refund on shipping, which makes sense.
+1

Same. I got mine the following Monday but they didn't give me any refund on shipping because they did indeed get it to me within the stated 5 business days- exactly 5 business days.

So as long as they get it to you in the X weeks they stated when you purchased it, you are NOT owed any refund so don't get greedy.

Sent from my Nexus 4

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

No, yes, and it doesn't matter. Should we be charged for 2-day shipping when it won't even ship for weeks? No. But are processing and shipping different things? Yes, technically. But that doesn't make a whole heck of a difference at the consumer end; neither should it. On the other hand, it doesn't matter. Why? Because we saw our carts, we knew when it would ship, we knew what the charge was, and gave our permission to Google to charge our credit cards. So fair or not, at the time of ordering it, you agreed to pay it.

It'd be nice if Google later sweetens the deal, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Is there a petition for this yet?

doug9000

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I think you and anybody that agrees with you has a warped sense of entitlement and should reexamine your thought processes.

SpenceJonas

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

agreed. i am glad to be getting this phone but I am pretty careful with my $

:D

Apparently you aren't since you're complaining about having to pay for two day shipping and not fully understanding what that means. Grow up, your life will go on be happy you were able to order the phone in the first place and stop trying to find stuff to complain about.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a petition for this yet?

Hah this made me laugh .... way to much complaining on the board as of late.

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I was surprised that they charged but for 2 days it's worth it. I just wish that it would ship soon!

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

seems like a weak excuse to me. the fact that we order now and actually get it weeks from now is a common thing between the first batch and us. 2 day shipping is useless if processing takes 1-2 weeks, I would rather just get ground shipping if I have to wait that long anyway, and save the $15. oh well...

Agreed, if you're going to wait weeks for it to be tendered to the carrier, then having two-day shipping versus 3- to 4-day ground shipping is hardly worth $15. It would be nice if Google had offered a ground shipping option.

Except, of course, that Google is probably using UPS as their logistics partner, and UPS can deploy them en masse to distribution centers around the country, meaning that they can offer 2-day shipping at no real cost. So forcing you into a 2-day shipping model and being able to charge you $15 for it is probably the entire amount of money UPS is getting for their distribution services.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

ziptied just said that shipping and handling are different things. look at your confirmation email. it just says shipping: 13.99. I just fake bought a nexus 7 to check and it lists the $13.99 charge just as "shipping". i know $380 for an unlocked phone with these specs are a hell of a deal, but you know whats even better? $366. I mean $14 is still $14.

There's a very simple reason why your receipt only lists "shipping" and not "shipping and handling," and that's taxes. By California state law (where Google is based) "handling" is taxable, while shipping is not necessarily so. They are purposefully leaving handling off so they don't have to charge (or pay) additional tax to the state. See the California State Board of Equalization for more information.

That said, while I am slightly annoyed at the shipping cost, I fully understand it and how it works. If you were to backorder something on Amazon, you would still pay the shipping cost associated with whatever speed you requested once they actually had the item to ship out. You can't pay more to speed up delivery of something they don't have. And, as other people have said, they probably don't have a cheaper option due to agreements in place with UPS.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

There's a very simple reason why your receipt only lists "shipping" and not "shipping and handling," and that's taxes. By California state law (where Google is based) "handling" is taxable, while shipping is not necessarily so. They are purposefully leaving handling off so they don't have to charge (or pay) additional tax to the state.

If they are "overcharging" for shipping (adding a handling fee) and calling it "shipping", that's tax avoidance, and pretty much any state will ream them over it. That's why I'd bet dollars to donuts that UPS is handling the logistics. Google pays them a "fair and reasonable" $14 for 2-day shipping, and UPS is free to realize the efficiencies of their logistics network to do as much of that shipping as bulk-route as possible, allowing UPS to charge for and provide 2-day shipping, but on a scale that allows them to make money off the service. I'd be willing to bet that every penny of the "shipping" charge goes to UPS, and not a penny more, and UPS is actually warehousing the product and managing inventory as well as doing the actual shipping.

Since Google is taking your money and charging what they are paying a shipper, and the charge is fair and reasonable for 2-day service, it can be easily considered "shipping" for tax purposes. UPS is simply realizing their profit from doing that "shipping" very efficiently because they are warehousing the product and distribution is easy with one flat service model and no exceptions.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Right, and available guidance is very specific about how you should itemize receipts. If Google isn't listing handling, then they're not charging for it themselves. As you note, it's probably all being handled through UPS, in which case the charge is indeed a shipping cost. I didn't mean to imply that Google was trying to be a tax dodger, only that there was a reason handling was not spelled out on the receipt.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Apparently you aren't since you're complaining about having to pay for two day shipping and not fully understanding what that means. Grow up, your life will go on be happy you were able to order the phone in the first place and stop trying to find stuff to complain about.

1. im glad i was able to order the phone
2. you clearly can't read nor do you understand my intentions
not complaining or anything, just looking at this realistically.
3. i dont think the $14 is a huge deal, but i mean its still $
4. just "discussing" about something with other people doesn't automatically mean "complaining". complaining would go more along the lines of "man this sucks %&%%%&, I can't believe I was charged that $, I mean $%^^%? Screw this ya'll ima go start a petition!"

it really is getting harder and harder these days to have a thoughtful discussion without getting negative and unproductive inputs these days. i mean come on people. chill out. if you can't contribute anything useful than just don't comment.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

If they are "overcharging" for shipping (adding a handling fee) and calling it "shipping", that's tax avoidance, and pretty much any state will ream them over it. That's why I'd bet dollars to donuts that UPS is handling the logistics. Google pays them a "fair and reasonable" $14 for 2-day shipping, and UPS is free to realize the efficiencies of their logistics network to do as much of that shipping as bulk-route as possible, allowing UPS to charge for and provide 2-day shipping, but on a scale that allows them to make money off the service. I'd be willing to bet that every penny of the "shipping" charge goes to UPS, and not a penny more, and UPS is actually warehousing the product and managing inventory as well as doing the actual shipping.

Since Google is taking your money and charging what they are paying a shipper, and the charge is fair and reasonable for 2-day service, it can be easily considered "shipping" for tax purposes. UPS is simply realizing their profit from doing that "shipping" very efficiently because they are warehousing the product and distribution is easy with one flat service model and no exceptions.

i like how your posts always contribute and are intellectual :)

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I think you and anybody that agrees with you has a warped sense of entitlement and should reexamine your thought processes.

i think you and anybody that leaves useless comments like this needs to stop acting with so much celerity, and actually try and perceive what my intentions are

doug9000

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I thought out my response and in no way was it posted with any celerity at all. Your want for free shipping because your order won't ship for some weeks to come is no where near analogous with people who got free shipping because Google made a error on there delivery time. To cling to this theory boarders on childish.

Later you wanted free ground shipping because your order won't ship in a more timely fashion, really FREE? Why would you be entitled to free shipping? With the price of the phone I'm doubt that there is enough profit for Google to eat the shipping, they only did it in the first place because the f-ed up so bad. Should they offer a cheaper ground option? Maybe but that has nothing to do with the original orders that got free shipping. $5.99 7-10 day ground is about the best you'd get, but I suspect with UPS handling the fulfillment Google made a deal on 2 day delivery.

I know you think you are right and fighting the righteous battle against Google shipping practices but I repeat re-examine you thought process.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Your want for free shipping because your order won't ship for some weeks to come is no where near analogous with people who got free shipping because Google made a error on there delivery time.

I was questioning it and presenting my point of view. You have yours, I have mine.
Lets look at my posts:

Our orders aren't actually going to ship until 1-2 weeks (or even later if you ordered later today), so should we still be charged $13.99 for shipping?
thats what i thought? makes sense to me....
seems like a weak excuse to me. the fact that we order now and actually get it weeks from now is a common thing between the first batch and us
Again, just questioning, then presenting my own opinion.

Later you wanted free ground shipping because your order won't ship in a more timely fashion, really FREE? Why would you be entitled to free shipping?

My Post:
2 day shipping is useless if processing takes 1-2 weeks, I would rather just get ground shipping if I have to wait that long anyway, and save the $15.

Free ground shipping was just a subconscious assumption that I just now realized I said. I probably wrote that since so many well-known vendors offer it (amazon, ll bean, etc.), and the ones that do charge have usually been pretty negligible in my experience. I do not believe I am ?entitled? to free ground shipping, as you so kindly mentioned. I have, and I would pay for it. I was, however, assuming that there would be a decent difference in price between ground and 2 day (which there is). You seem offended by this simple assumption; no need to freak out buddy. What I was trying to convey was if I was presented with the option of slower shipping speeds I would have done that since it was going to take a while to ship anyways. However, as others mentioned, yeah Google probably made a deal on the 2-day.

I know you think you are right and fighting the righteous battle against Google shipping practices but I repeat re-examine you thought process.

Now tell me troll. Where did I even mention that I was going to or want to ?battle? Google for this? Did I say anything about contacting them about this? I even mentioned that I don?t think it?s a huge deal. My petition comment was sarcastic, dolt. I don?t know how to be any clearer.

SpenceJonas

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

1. im glad i was able to order the phone
2. you clearly can't read nor do you understand my intentions

Oh I can clearly read.. you're complaining about wanting free 2 day shipping because Google said your device won't ship in "X" amount of weeks. Get over it they said when your device will ship and once it ships it'll get to you in 2 days. By odering it at that time you agreed to that time frame ... Google owes you nothing, stop complaining and wait calmly for your phone. I can tell you once it ships you'll get it in that two days or less.

And is this thread really needed when there is how many threads albout pretty much the same topic? Just sit back and relax, go enjoy the outside, your phone will get to you before you know it.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Oh I can clearly read.. you're complaining about wanting free 2 day shipping because Google said your device won't ship in "X" amount of weeks. Get over it they said when your device will ship and once it ships it'll get to you in 2 days. By odering it at that time you agreed to that time frame ... Google owes you nothing, stop complaining and wait calmly for your phone. I can tell you once it ships you'll get it in that two days or less.

And is this thread really needed when there is how many threads albout pretty much the same topic? Just sit back and relax, go enjoy the outside, your phone will get to you before you know it.

Your comment shows your blatant disregard to actually READ and try and perceive what I am saying/have said. I like how you only quoted half of my previous comment. Please, read it again. Please. Read my other comments. I never "complained", just "questioned". And idk if they're are other threads about this same topic, I didn't see any when I made this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad