-------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)-------

Xelion

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, I was a little worried, but so far, its better than my HTC inspire 4g by far. 14 hours on battery (5 hours while sleeping) and currently sitting at 55%. 20 minutes of GPS was used and 1.5 hours of display. I could see if I'm on it all the time it would be a problem but for the most part I use my phone for light internet browsing, some reddit, and GPS.

Also, GPS is amazing. I often can lock on in under a second while in doors. My old phone would take minutes outside in clear sky.

EntR5l.png

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
How many of you seeing abnormal battery drain updated to 4.2.1? Anyone not update with bad battery? Has anyone else tried what peejay did and reflash 4.2.1?

For what it's worth, I'm on 4.2 with most options on default. I've been on wifi most of the day. After almost 8 hours on battery, I'm sitting at 79% left with light usage (mainly setting up apps and such). I'm sure that will drop tonight once I get home from work and start really customizing the phone finally. As a comparison, my Photon on 2.3.4 is showing nearly identical results, and I've purposefully used it about as much as the N4 today.

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
My map usage hasn't gone down by much since I turned the "Update location automatically from this device" off so I'm considering turning it back on and seeing what is going on.

If it doesn't affect the battery life, working logically it leaves only a small number of possible causes :

1. The 4.2 image out of the box, with OTA 4.2.1 on top sometimes causes issues.
2. I installed an app which causes massive drain even though nothing shows in the list.
3. Rooting it and unlocking the boot loader introduced an issue.
4. Google account syncing is draining it.

I now have Google Sync off during the day as I have no immediate need to have my contacts, calendar, messages and all the other stuff sync'd periodically. I might also turn this on and see what effect it is.

Personally, I think the hardware is largely fine, I've known people with iPhones out the box have terrible life and others great life. I think it's likely to be more OS level thats not quite right, or a common app or setting people seem to use.

It would be interesting to draw up a list of people with good and bad experience, a cross section of settings to see if a pattern emerges.

Paul.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Getting about 2h30m to 4h screen time on my Nexus depending on what I'm doing. 10 to 14 hours without a charge with my daily usage.

ikerJ

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi! I've been reading the whole thread after I've discovered my phone's battery is draining way too fast. And I mean... fast. I'll upload a capture later, but 15% can go away easily in 10 minutes.

That started happening yesterday. Until then, everything was working fine. More than perfect, I'd say. Even with the latest update (lucky me!). I could go 24 hours without charging it, sometimes even more. The thing is that yesterday evening, at an electronics shop, I was considering buying an alarm clock with a USB connector so my phone can sit there overnight to be charged. I tried my phone with a couple of them when suddenly, after trying to play music on one of devices, the cell phone goes off. Which was weird, because half of my battery was full. It took me a while to turn it on. And since then, bam, draining like crazy. 50 minutes means 25% battery less, without using it. And that's after a factory reset. I read about the Exchange bugs but since I am not using that service it does not apply to me.

Have any of you guys had similar issues?

Last edited:

Kakito24

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi! I've been reading the whole thread after I've discovered my phone's battery is draining way too fast. And I mean... fast. I'll upload a capture later, but 15% can go away easily in 10 minutes.

That started happening yesterday. Until then, everything was working fine. More than perfect, I'd say. Even with the latest update (lucky me!). I could go 24 hours without charging it, sometimes even more. The thing is that yesterday evening, at an electronics shop, I was considering buying an alarm clock with a USB connector so my phone can sit there overnight to be charged. I tried my phone with a couple of them when suddenly, after trying to play music on one of devices, the movie goes off. Which was weird, because half of my battery was full. It took me a while to turn it on. And since then, bam, draining like crazy. 50 minutes means 25% battery less, without using it. And that's after a factory reset. I read about the Exchange bugs but since I am not using that service it does not apply to me.

Have any of you guys had similar issues?

I fixed my issues with one of best Custom Rom along with one of the best Kernel. Rasbeanjelly Rom by Rascarlo and Trinity Kernel by Morfic.
Very good battery life and phone is nice, smooth and fast.

Nexus 4 (RASBEANjelly: Trinity Four Inception)
via Tapatalk 2

foolishfocus

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm extremely happy with the battery life compared to my old HTC One X, it was almost dead by late afternoon

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354938893125.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354938893125.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 25
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354938905739.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354938905739.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 24

ikerJ

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I fixed my issues with one of best Custom Rom along with one of the best Kernel. Rasbeanjelly Rom by Rascarlo and Trinity Kernel by Morfic.
Very good battery life and phone is nice, smooth and fast.

via Tapatalk 2

Did you have your battery problems after an update? Or it was suddenly as it happened to me? I'm very laid back when it comes to deal with the guts of the phone, so before spending time in installing and rooting and dealing with these I'd like to have more information about your issues ;) And thanks for the help!

Kakito24

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Did you have your battery problems after an update? Or it was suddenly as it happened to me? I'm very laid back when it comes to deal with the guts of the phone, so before spending time in installing and rooting and dealing with these I'd like to have more information about your issues ;) And thanks for the help!

No problem. Initialy I felt like the battery life was not what I expected from this phone. I feel like from the beginning the battery was not that great. My friend also has an N4 and came out of Galaxy Nexus and he says his battery was ok. He was not complaining. We both moved on to Custom Rom mostly because he had already had used it on his Galaxy Nexus and told me this Rom and Kernel were the best for battery life and phone response. Hope this info helps.
Overall I am Satisfied with the N4.

via Tapatalk 2

Go Ogle

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What do? Brightness is at 10% or none. Streamed two hours of Pandora and Play. Is two hours normal with full signal for 95% if the life?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354944071770.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354944071770.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 29
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354944117222.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354944117222.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 28

Jack Stephenson

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
What would you like more, 3.5 hours of screen time on an absolute beast of a phone with the most advanced mobile OS, or 4-5 hours of screen time on a weak phone with an archaic, dumbed down OS?

Jack Stephenson

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
So I'm thinking about getting the iPhone 5 then. But I'm still skeptical, heard it's not that much better in terms of battery life. Cause having a long-lasting battery is the number one thing I look for in a smart phone. I would get the RAZR but I don't want Verizon and their prices haha

Get a galaxy note 2, it has amazing battery life and u can get it on all 4 of the major U.S. carriers.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Below is the result after my first full day of using the N4 (after having it charging all night the first time).

I don't know if it's "normal" or not, but I just though I'd add another data point.
If you see anything odd in it, let me know.

Also, after it reaches 100% charge, is it better to unplug or or leave it plugged in? Say it reaches 100% at 1am and you aren't planning on waking up and fleeing with it until 8am.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-07-21-08-06.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-07-21-08-06.png
    160.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_2012-12-07-21-08-19.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-07-21-08-19.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_2012-12-07-21-08-13.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-07-21-08-13.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 20

cynicist

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Below is the result after my first full day of using the N4 (after having it charging all night the first time).

I don't know if it's "normal" or not, but I just though I'd add another data point.
If you see anything odd in it, let me know.

Looks great!

Also, after it reaches 100% charge, is it better to unplug or or leave it plugged in? Say it reaches 100% at 1am and you aren't planning on waking up and fleeing with it until 8am.

Leaving it plugged in isn't a problem. Modern phones will actually hit 100% and then just trickle charge to maintain it, which is why you'll sometimes see your phone at 98% or 99% when taking it off the charger.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey on this subject can someone explain to me proper charging techniques? I ordered a nexus 4 but won't have it till January, but in the meantime I'd like to know the proper way to charge it as with a built in battery, replacement isn't an option

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma