-------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)-------

darthus

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Look earlier in this thread. Just because you have crazy battery drain does not equal a faulty battery. I would say the most common cause is an errant app or system process that is wakelocking the phone or pulling down crazy data.

The first step is downloading a utility like GSam battery monitor before you call it a faulty battery. Many people might return the phones, get a new one and have better battery life only because it was a fresh install of Android without the issue they were having before.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Look earlier in this thread. Just because you have crazy battery drain does not equal a faulty battery. I would say the most common cause is an errant app or system process that is wakelocking the phone or pulling down crazy data.

The first step is downloading a utility like GSam battery monitor before you call it a faulty battery. Many people might return the phones, get a new one and have better battery life only because it was a fresh install of Android without the issue they were having before.

He said he dropped 40% in 5 minutes. No app is going to drain it that fast.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

swartzz

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Currently waiting for my nexus 4, but on my one x curtently, I did the following and it helped the battery life greatly.
Turned off location setting
The device constantly trying to locate you drains the battery
No bt, or WiFi
The weather apps on android devices while convenient is a major drag on battery life, so I turned that off too.
With this done, I've had my device sometimes go for 22hrs with moderate usage, but more typically I get anywhere from 12-16hrs ( fluctuates).
Oh, my auto-sync is on and brightness of device is left on auto.

GuyverV

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
i had to send my 1st nexus back because it shipped with a scratch. what i found in the 2 weeks that i had it was that the battery life was mediocre, at best. in a typical day, i would get 10hrs of battery with light to moderate use. i tried all the tricks except rooting and flashing a new kernel, because honestly, i don't think i should have to do that with a battery this large to get very good battery life.

my warranty model came this weekend and i decided to test (non-scientifically) how well the battery did if i ignored the initial system update prompt, unlike my first go 'round. i received it friday, around 7pm, and it was fully charged out of the box. i put a skinomi on it and let it dry over night. i began to use it over the course of the weekend, lightly on saturday and more heavily on sunday.

i would consider what resulted phenomenal battery life. here's the thing, with my first nexus 4, it would lose 15-18% battery life over night. with the warranty nexus 4, it only lost 4 percent over an 8 hour period while i was asleep.

for those who have yet to receive their nexus 4, i would seriously consider avoiding updating the software just to see how your battery life is. for my part, i'm incredibly disappointed that google shipped software that devastates the battery this badly. i'm hoping they come out with a fix it, mostly because i'm tired of the "system update available" notification and because battery seems to be the major gripe of many users. if someone has similar results, i would love to hear them

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-09-19-36-45.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-09-19-36-45.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_2012-12-09-19-36-39.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-09-19-36-39.png
    150.9 KB · Views: 23

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
i had to send my 1st nexus back because it shipped with a scratch. what i found in the 2 weeks that i had it was that the battery life was mediocre, at best. in a typical day, i would get 10hrs of battery with light to moderate use. i tried all the tricks except rooting and flashing a new kernel, because honestly, i don't think i should have to do that with a battery this large to get very good battery life.

my warranty model came this weekend and i decided to test (non-scientifically) how well the battery did if i ignored the initial system update prompt, unlike my first go 'round. i received it friday, around 7pm, and it was fully charged out of the box. i put a skinomi on it and let it dry over night. i began to use it over the course of the weekend, lightly on saturday and more heavily on sunday.

i would consider what resulted phenomenal battery life. here's the thing, with my first nexus 4, it would lose 15-18% battery life over night. with the warranty nexus 4, it only lost 4 percent over an 8 hour period while i was asleep.

for those who have yet to receive their nexus 4, i would seriously consider avoiding updating the software just to see how your battery life is. for my part, i'm incredibly disappointed that google shipped software that devastates the battery this badly. i'm hoping they come out with a fix it, mostly because i'm tired of the "system update available" notification and because battery seems to be the major gripe of many users. if someone has similar results, i would love to hear them

This is great feedback. Thanks.

clove#AC

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I was seeing 12-17% drain per hour with zero usage and screen off, even after multiple factory resets with nothing but stock apps. I returned it as a defect and my replacement Nexus 4 is behaving much better (~6% to 8% per hour under normal usage with all my apps back on). Not as good as my Galaxy Nexus' battery life, but far better than what I was seeing with my first Nexus 4 which was obviously a defect.

GuyverV

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I was seeing 12-17% drain per hour with zero usage and screen off, even after multiple factory resets with nothing but stock apps. I returned it as a defect and my replacement Nexus 4 is behaving much better (~6% to 8% per hour under normal usage with all my apps back on). Not as good as my Galaxy Nexus' battery life, but far better than what I was seeing with my first Nexus 4 which was obviously a defect.

did you update out of the box? i'm curious if this is a software issue or not

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Read his post. He did the update and had issues then got a new phone and didn't and is having better luck.

This is the second person saying that by down grading to the last version is much better.

clove#AC

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

I ran the update immediately with both my first Nexus 4 and the replacement. I regretted not testing before & after on the replacement phone first but too late for that.

So, in summary, I saw a drastic difference in battery performance in two different units in a completely factory-fresh 4.2.1 state which can only indicate a hardware issue with my first unit.

nexus4backordrsuckz

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I cannot figure this out battery life is all over the place I am getting anywhere from 6 to 18 hours a day with the same amount of screen time with the same settings. I checked gsam and i am getting over 1400 wake locks everyday. I left it on overnight the other day in airplane mode and checked 2437 wake locks...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

dave9851

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Battery going down fast. 49min screen time, 60%

I'm convinced I have a bad battery because this is absolutely terrible. I've already done a factory reset too.

80% after 15 minutes screen time? Seriously? My one x would be like at 96% after 15 minutes screen time with the exact same usage.

dave9851

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Battery going down fast. 49min screen time, 60%

This thing gets very hot too. Even the screen gets hot to the point it hurts.

WeNeedCupCakes

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Here is my battery life. It is still not hooked up to a carrier, and the reason for the big dropoff is because I was trying to drain the battery.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355179940265.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355179940265.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 37

WeNeedCupCakes

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
This goes with the one above, just forgot to use it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355180067324.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355180067324.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 35

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Here is my battery life. It is still not hooked up to a carrier, and the reason for the big dropoff is because I was trying to drain the battery.

When you are not on a carrier and only on wifi you will get much better results.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
When you are not on a carrier and only on wifi you will get much better results.

Yeah so far my results have been similar but it's currently wifi only. Hoping the sim card arrives today from T-Mobile.

60% of the time it works every time!
*Sprint HIGH Speed 3G/LTE Nexus*

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody know why phone is using up so much percentage while I haven't even used the phone.

Screenshot_2012-12-11-19-46-44.png

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millionmiles