Nexus 4 & Google Voice Major Problems

usualsuspect

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Google voice for over three years first with an EVO and then with Galaxy Nexus. Last week I received my Nexus 4 and installed Google Voice as I am a major user. I have already updated Google Voice to latest version. So far I have experienced nothing but MAJOR ISSUES.

1) The app is force closing all the time
2) The app is giving the wrong number of messages in a thread in the notification bar. For example if I have read a text thread where I have already read 5 messages and I receive a new message, the notification bar says that I have 6 messages.
3) Voice mail notifications keep popping up into the notification bar randomly - long after they have been listened to and read
4) The Google Voice app is incredibly slow. The keyboard often becomes unresponsive.

I use Google Voice so much that my phone is almost becoming unusable. In fact I am thinking of returning the phone because it almost makes my phone worthless with all of the crashes and battery drain. I have included screen shot that shows that the google voice is by far the biggest drain on my battery. Also screen shot of the force closes. The closes are happening at least 50 times a day if not more..

Has anyone else experienced these problems?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-28-01-05-25.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-28-01-05-25.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_2012-11-28-01-05-38.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-28-01-05-38.png
    153.2 KB · Views: 58

YesPlease

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I have been having all sorts of problems on my galaxy nexus ever since the update the other week, even deleting the contact info of people I text. I don't think it has anything to do with your new nexus but rather the update for 4.2

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Metalkid69

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Hmm.. Seems strange.. I've been running GVoice on my nexus 4 since I got it and everything works great.. No hiccups as of yet..

Sent from my Nexus 4

smileman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
when i try to send a text message from my N4 with Google Voice i get the 'Google Voice has stopped working' message can can't send the message.

OhioG

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
when i try to send a text message from my N4 with Google Voice i get the 'Google Voice has stopped working' message can can't send the message.
There was some google voice bug that caused FC when messages were composed. Google shouldve pushed an update to google voice. Uninstall and re-install it if you can

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
There was some google voice bug that caused FC when messages were composed. Google shouldve pushed an update to google voice. Uninstall and re-install it if you can

I recommend this for OP as well.

I do get a little sluggishness when launching it (seems to depend on signal strength) and the notifications are a bit off. No FC's though and none of the other issues mentioned. I think Google definitely needs to give it a good update as well..

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I recommend this for OP as well.

I do get a little sluggishness when launching it (seems to depend on signal strength) and the notifications are a bit off. No FC's though and none of the other issues mentioned. I think Google definitely needs to give it a good update as well..

The update Google pushed out did successfully correct the force closes when trying to compose a message, however the other issues you're experiencing are not isolated to the N4. I've run into those issues myself (on my toro), and while clearing data and a simple uninstall/reinstall did not fix said issues, I have yet to try downgrading.

It's certainly possible these issues were introduced with the message composition fix.

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I use Google Voice constantly on my Nexus 4 and it seems to work great. Im not having any of the problems you described. The only complaint I have is deleted texts can pop back into my inbox causing me to have to re-delete one thread to make them all go away. That only happens after a reboot though.

bellamyepl

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Google voice for over three years first with an EVO and then with Galaxy Nexus. Last week I received my Nexus 4 and installed Google Voice as I am a major user. I have already updated Google Voice to latest version. So far I have experienced nothing but MAJOR ISSUES.

1) The app is force closing all the time
2) The app is giving the wrong number of messages in a thread in the notification bar. For example if I have read a text thread where I have already read 5 messages and I receive a new message, the notification bar says that I have 6 messages.
3) Voice mail notifications keep popping up into the notification bar randomly - long after they have been listened to and read
4) The Google Voice app is incredibly slow. The keyboard often becomes unresponsive.

I use Google Voice so much that my phone is almost becoming unusable. In fact I am thinking of returning the phone because it almost makes my phone worthless with all of the crashes and battery drain. I have included screen shot that shows that the google voice is by far the biggest drain on my battery. Also screen shot of the force closes. The closes are happening at least 50 times a day if not more..

Has anyone else experienced these problems?

When I updated my Galaxy Nexus I also was having issues.. not nearly as many force closes but some and a lot of times the app would just be unresponsive.. and I did get the notification bar problem (where it shows like 8 messages from so and so even though you read the other ones already).
I recently bought a Galaxy Note 2 and the notification bar is still an issue and that is Jelly Bean 4.1.. So it isn't just on 4.2.. it runs a little smoother on the Note 2 compared to my GNex (probably due to the better processor and more ram) but it still hangs up a bunch.. Google needs a significant update to this app.. using it for texts and when you are texting multiple people at the same time causing the app and keyboard to come to a screeching halt.. what we need to do is everyone put in 1 star for this app in the play store and see if we can't jump start google to update this thing!

Getting my Nexus 4 today.. excited.. taking the Note 2 back.. like it.. just too big.. plus I love me some Vanilla android..

usualsuspect

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
bellamyepl,,,

Once you have the Nexus 4 I would love a comparison of the devices in terms of likes/dislikes. I have been intrigued by the Note2 and have considered using both the Nexus4 and the Note 2. I would use the Note2 more of as a tablet (most likely put it on the $30/month 5G plan on tmobile). I had a Nexus7 and cracked the screen and it's worthless. I was considering to buy the 3G Nexus7 but can't decide on that or the Note2 as more of media consumption devices.

Thanks.

usualsuspect

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
As an aside I am really shocked that Google could allow Google Voice app to be so buggy on their new version of Android. It's a service that they push & that all of their employees use, so to have such an issue between Android and Google voice sis Shocking to me..

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't get any crashes but I have noticed some old latent status messages pop up - I chalked it up to my phone being shut down while at home for long stretches.

My advice to you is to clear cache, uninstall and then reinstall.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Does your outgoing call log show the number you dialed, or the proxy number?
They all show the number I dialed. In fact, if I update my contact to match the number, the contact name will show almost immediately.

Sounds like maybe your phone isn't quite set up correctly with your carrier for GV. Heard of many issues with various prepay set ups.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I know this is 2 months old thread. but i remember google publishing GV app with bugs like this force close mentioned in the thread.
they later fixed many of those issues.

Gary Youngman

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I have a LG Nexus "Google" phone -

I have had a Google plus number for two years...

NOW IT IS A NIGHTMARE - I am missing calls - the phone is non responsive...

Thankfully I have the option to use the carrier to place the calls - w/o this - my phone would be in pieces (out the window of the car- at high speed).

Now my clients can see my personal number - which was the whole purpose to the Google voice number -

With zero support from Google - Regretfully it seems time to port out my Google plus number.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Try the uninstall/reinstall trick, if that doesn't work, try finding Google Voice version 0.4.2.54, the APK file is readily available on most APK repositories... it has performed flawlessly for me on several phones where the .80 version is rather buggy at times, then make sure auto-update is turned off in the Play Store.

BTW, if you are missing INCOMING calls, then that is not the app, it is GV since it is just a call forward service essentially, I moved my number away from it recently because of similar issues. You can always get a Pay-As-You-Go phone, port the number to it, and just call forward it to your number and don't use it for anything else, just make sure to keep the phone active.

Google has also said that Google Voice is NOT intended for business use, although lots of people use it it is not really intended for that application. Google Groups

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance