Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Just don't forget: T-Mobile plans include roaming (voice only); StraightTalk plans do not.

Also, you can buy extra minutes on T-Mobile for just $0.10 each and they roll over month-to-month. So, if your needs are in the 100 to 250 minutes per month zone, T-Mobile may still be the best way to go.

I'll have to confirm that.. from what a couple of T-Mo repts told me, once my 100-mins is up, it just stops working... Data should still work, but I'll have to reset my month if I want voice back, even if I have a few dollars on the account for overages...

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
GrooveIP works decent. I wouldn't bank on using it as a primary calling source. I've found that Viber works well over T-Mobile 3G/4G. The hardest thing is convincing your friends to sign up for a VOIP calling service.

Your friends shouldn't need to sign up for VoIP. I have an old Linksys PAP2 at home that I've configured with IPKall (gives you a POTS phone number and forwards it to a VoIP line for free) and a free VoIP line through a service provider I can't remember at the moment - Gizmo maybe?. The IPKAll number is set up on her Google Voice as a ring-forward, and when someone calls her she simply picks up the VoIP line if she's home, saving her cell minutes (we are on a plan with her that includes no minutes, so calling is 11 cents a minute for her on cell). When she wants to make an outbound call, she goes to Google Voice on our web browser and initiates the call from there, telling GV that she wants to use IPKall on her end. Our VoIP line rings, she picks up, and the other side starts ringing.

GrooveIP works the same way, except all on the phone itself and much more seamlessly. I just couldn't convince my wife to add a VoIP line to her phone because when it rings both the Groove and regular lines were ringing simultaneously on the phone, and that gets confusing. So we just set up a dedicated VoIP line that uses a landline handset.

runningman3433

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
i use grooveip with my nexus 4. call quality around the house is good, people complain about echo if on speaker.

3g/4g calling seems to have a 2-3 second delay.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to confirm that.. from what a couple of T-Mo repts told me, once my 100-mins is up, it just stops working... Data should still work, but I'll have to reset my month if I want voice back, even if I have a few dollars on the account for overages...

Absolutely not true. Your service keeps on going, as long as you have money in your account to cover the 10 cents per minute overage.

In fact, last month I got to 99 minutes total for the month. When I got to 95 or so I got a message from T-Mobile when placing an outgoing call that I'd be billed 10 cents a minute for any minutes over my 100 allotment.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

OhioG

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
For all of you worried about minutes, look into Vonage Mobile app. It is VoIP that gives you 3000 free min to land lines and cellphones plus uses your mobile number as outgoing number. Basically all outgoing are free. The downside is incoming arent free. Worth it for me since my friends text or give me missed calls

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Basically, just go to T-Mobile.com (or any other method you prefer) and make an advance payment on your account in any amount you wish. When your 100 minutes are used up, they will begin charging you $0.10 per additional minute used. Any money not "spent" will simply roll over into the next month or, if there is enough there, will be used towards your $30 monthly plan charge.

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Your friends shouldn't need to sign up for VoIP. I have an old Linksys PAP2 at home that I've configured with IPKall (gives you a POTS phone number and forwards it to a VoIP line for free) and a free VoIP line through a service provider I can't remember at the moment - Gizmo maybe?. The IPKAll number is set up on her Google Voice as a ring-forward, and when someone calls her she simply picks up the VoIP line if she's home, saving her cell minutes (we are on a plan with her that includes no minutes, so calling is 11 cents a minute for her on cell). When she wants to make an outbound call, she goes to Google Voice on our web browser and initiates the call from there, telling GV that she wants to use IPKall on her end. Our VoIP line rings, she picks up, and the other side starts ringing.

GrooveIP works the same way, except all on the phone itself and much more seamlessly. I just couldn't convince my wife to add a VoIP line to her phone because when it rings both the Groove and regular lines were ringing simultaneously on the phone, and that gets confusing. So we just set up a dedicated VoIP line that uses a landline handset.

I meant if you make calls with a service like Skype, Tango, Fring, or Viber. Then both parties have to be on the same platform.

Tacoman667

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
My main thing is that I want to get the unlimited data plan and use VOIP for phone calls. I will try it for a month I guess. If it works on most of the roads I use in town it wil cover 95% of my usage needs.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I meant if you make calls with a service like Skype, Tango, Fring, or Viber. Then both parties have to be on the same platform.

Ah, when Tacoman said "get a number on Skype" I thought he was referring to Skype's availability of POTS numbers, so you can call to and from regular phones, cell phones, etc. Skype (direct), Fring, Viber, Google Talk, etc are obviously birds of a different color.

Tacoman667

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Ah, when someone said "get a number on Skype" I thought they were referring to Skype's availability of POTS numbers, so you can call to and from regular phones, cell phones, etc.

I meant to get a skype phone number that you can have GV forward to. This would also allow you to make calls from it but I wouldn't unless you go through GV first so that the GV number shows in their caller id. I think it's like $5-10/mo.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I meant to get a skype phone number that you can have GV forward to. This would also allow you to make calls from it but I wouldn't unless you go through GV first so that the GV number shows in their caller id. I think it's like $5-10/mo.

Yes. I'd try GrooveIP first, since the free app provides plenty of functionality (basically I think everything but calling over cell data). If that doesn't work out for you, you could invest in a month or two of Skype (which is going to be a little more clumsy for outbound calls, but if GrooveIP's codec is unacceptable and Skype's works well for you, there you go).

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used GrooveIP yet, but I did sign up for the TMO $30 prepaid plan and couldn't be happier. A little snafu when I signed up over the phone as I got a $30 1000min, 30MB of data and didn't realize until about 30mins later I received a TMO free text saying I was over my data limit! LMAO... Called back and they switched it back ASAP.

Last edited:

bilago

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used GrooveIP yet, but I did sign up for the TMO $30 prepaid plan and couldn't be happier. A little snafu when I signed up over the phone as I got a $30 1000min, 30GB of data and didn't realize until about 30mins later I received a TMO free text saying I was over my data limit! LMAO... Called back and they switched it back ASAP.

He means 30mb ;-)

Adam Smith1

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I had ZERO problems.

Ordered the microsim online for 99 cents with free shipping, comes with a $3.34 credit towards the first month (in other words, better than free). The crazy thing was they offered me free USPS, PAID UPS, or FREE UPS Next Day!!!! Duh!!!

Sim Card Activation Kit For Prepaid Phone or Unlocked iPhone | T-Mobil

Went to the webpage they refer you to in the activation instructions, was offered this plan, activated it with no problem. I used the IMEI 15 9's "trick" I doubt it was necessary.

I'm still fooling around with the best settings for Groove IP. Echo cancellation is NOT enabled by default, a lot of setting available for customization.

Adam Smith1

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used GrooveIP yet, but I did sign up for the TMO $30 prepaid plan and couldn't be happier. A little snafu when I signed up over the phone as I got a $30 1000min, 30MB of data and didn't realize until about 30mins later I received a TMO free text saying I was over my data limit! LMAO... Called back and they switched it back ASAP.

Got a microsim activation kit from the following

Sim Card Activation Kit For Prepaid Phone or Unlocked iPhone | T-Mobil

The activation instructions provide a website, hard to screw up. Card was 99 cents with free shipping, they even gave me a $3.34 credit towards first month.

I'm thrilled with the package, I get good service, loving my Nexus 4 (first smartphone, glad I waited)

Adam Smith1

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Basically, just go to T-Mobile.com (or any other method you prefer) and make an advance payment on your account in any amount you wish. When your 100 minutes are used up, they will begin charging you $0.10 per additional minute used. Any money not "spent" will simply roll over into the next month or, if there is enough there, will be used towards your $30 monthly plan charge.

Add a few extra dollars to your account at tmobile. Extra minutes are only 10 cents each, but you have to have the money in your account. So instead of $30, put in $35 and you'll have 50 extra minutes in reserve. And you can check at my.t-mobile.com to find out how many minutes you've used (the other methods of checking have been unreliable for me)

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
We still have a 700 minutes MyFaves Family Plan with unlimited data. With all four lines we never touch the 700 minute cap, I have GrooVe IP on my NEXUS 4 and set up call forwarding from my regular line to my GVoice number for when I'm on WiFi only in our apartment or on 3G/4G outside and the caller might only have my original number. Its quite a seamless, good experience so far. T-Mobile's latest iteration of their Visual Voicemail app now includes banner ads so I set up Voice to be my Voicemail Box.

Irishgator

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I have not had much luck with GrooveIP. Poor voice quality, volume control issues, not being able to answer and place calls at times (all on Wi-Fi). Only one response from Support and nothing to my followup questions and descriptions. I guess I am going to have to look elsewhere or for a different plan...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I have not had much luck with GrooveIP. Poor voice quality, volume control issues, not being able to answer and place calls at times (all on Wi-Fi). Only one response from Support and nothing to my followup questions and descriptions. I guess I am going to have to look elsewhere or for a different plan...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry for the slow responses to email. We've had some issues the last day that should be ironed out. I did respond this morning, I believe, to your email. If not please resend it. Unfortunately on the Nexus 4 most of the settings aren't required. The Nexus 4 does have WiFi optimization turned on by default and does disconnect WiFi by default. If you're using the app over WiFi I recommend turning off the WiFi optimization from the android settings and setting the android advanced WiFi settings to keep WiFi connected. Some of the issues you were having did seem network related, so I'd suggest trying over a different network/router first to see if that helps. I'd also recommend trying a clean install. Uninstall the app, restart the device, then download and install the app. Sometimes things don't download or install properly and cause issues.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Also, just to join in the conversation. We have a Nexus 4 on the t-mobile pre-paid plan. I know it doesn't mean much coming from the developer of the app but we're getting good voice quality over WiFi and t-mobile's data network in our area. But it seems like t-mobile has good service near us.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1