Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I just had a weird issue with someone calling me. Both the Groove IP "dialer" (shows picture, answer/hang up) and the native dialer (swipe to answer) were intermittently ringing. Answering either seem to reject and I'd get a missed call. Person called back and I answered on the native dialer and it worked fine. Is there a setting I should or shouldn't have checked? Is there a general how to regarding using Groove IP and Google Voice together. I believe I have everything setup properly as my minutes aren't been used anymore, but I may be missing something. I only realized the need for something like Groove IP when I quickly used up my minutes thinking I was using only Google Voice 2 months ago lol. Been solid since, but this was weird.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Mine does that occasionally, but not with any regularity. Usually what happens is my native dialer pops up first, then after about 1 ring, the screen switches to my GrooveIP dialer and stays there until I answer. I just chalk it up to a lot of tech going on at one time and every once in while, it gets screwed up. A similar related issue I have though is that if I want to ignore the call, it keeps ringing for what seems like forever before finally going to voicemail. I figured this is the cost of getting free talk minutes, though I'd love to find a solution. Maybe someone smarter than us (that's not to hard to find where I'm concerned) will have a definitive answer for both issues.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
** One thing I learned: it depends on the people you call and how much static, voice-cutting-out, tinny-sound, etc they're willing to stand. Most people couldn't take more than 2-3 minutes before complaining and wanting to get off the phone.

This is my favorite thing about using GrooveIP...I hate talking to people on the phone anyway!

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
As someone with a T-Mobile $30/mo plan, I'd like to toss in my 2?...

I use GrooVe IP a lot, and it mostly works. I'm still tinkering with the echo cancellation settings on it, but it's reasonably decent. Nevertheless, I still go through many of my 100 minutes in a month because there's times when it either glitches up or some other difficulty causes me an issue.

Here's my question to you folks who call to check your voicemail: Why are you doing it that way? You can check it visually. Just download T-Mobile's Visual VoiceMail app. I also have their My Account app so I can check on present data and minute usage.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
As someone with a T-Mobile $30/mo plan, I'd like to toss in my 2?...

I use GrooVe IP a lot, and it mostly works. I'm still tinkering with the echo cancellation settings on it, but it's reasonably decent. Nevertheless, I still go through many of my 100 minutes in a month because there's times when it either glitches up or some other difficulty causes me an issue.

Here's my question to you folks who call to check your voicemail: Why are you doing it that way? You can check it visually. Just download T-Mobile's Visual VoiceMail app. I also have their My Account app so I can check on present data and minute usage.

How's the battery usage of that app?

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Battery consumption is fairly comparable, at least in my experiences to date. The biggest issue I have is being able to answer with GrooVe IP instead of the native phone app after a few rings. However, to be fair, GIP is better in this respect than Talkatone, because in that same scenario, the native app would keep ringing in the background while I would be talking using Talkatone. And, trying to dismiss the native app in that situation was a PITA, because sometimes the two apps would conflict, hang up the call, etc.

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Battery consumption is fairly comparable, at least in my experiences to date. The biggest issue I have is being able to answer with GrooVe IP instead of the native phone app after a few rings. However, to be fair, GIP is better in this respect than Talkatone, because in that same scenario, the native app would keep ringing in the background while I would be talking using Talkatone. And, trying to dismiss the native app in that situation was a PITA, because sometimes the two apps would conflict, hang up the call, etc.

Have you found a work around for this? Is to simply dismiss the native dialer call then answer with GrooVeIP the trick?

dossamosas

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
The phone itself is great and Google voice works seamlessly, but GrooveIP does the weirdest thing. Every time I try to answer an incoming call, it (GrooveIP) logs out of Google Voice. As soon as the call is dropped, GrooveIP logs right back in and stays solidly logged in. Tried troubleshooting, but have run out of ideas. Outgoing calls connect well.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
No, I haven't found a solution to it. It becomes a very awkward situation to handle because you only have so many rings before the call eventually goes to voicemail.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
The phone itself is great and Google voice works seamlessly, but GrooveIP does the weirdest thing. Every time I try to answer an incoming call, it (GrooveIP) logs out of Google Voice. As soon as the call is dropped, GrooveIP logs right back in and stays solidly logged in. Tried troubleshooting, but have run out of ideas. Outgoing calls connect well.

In your troubleshooting have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling both GV and GrooveIP? It's about all I can think of that you might not have already tried.

You guys sure have a lot of patience trying to get GrooveIP working well. I gave up on it fast, and don't regret that decision at all.

Good Luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

It sounds like you have calls forwarded to both Google Chat and to your cell number. If you forward calls to only one location in your Google Voice account you'll only get one incoming ring. So if you forward only to Google Chat then only GrooVe IP will receive the call.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you using bluetooth? Android 4.2 has a bug where if you are connected to WiFi and using bluetooth the WiFi connection will disconnect. That would cause the app to sign out and sign back in when the network connection comes back.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Mine does that occasionally, but not with any regularity. Usually what happens is my native dialer pops up first, then after about 1 ring, the screen switches to my GrooveIP dialer and stays there until I answer. I just chalk it up to a lot of tech going on at one time and every once in while, it gets screwed up. A similar related issue I have though is that if I want to ignore the call, it keeps ringing for what seems like forever before finally going to voicemail. I figured this is the cost of getting free talk minutes, though I'd love to find a solution. Maybe someone smarter than us (that's not to hard to find where I'm concerned) will have a definitive answer for both issues.

I had Google Voice (desktop browser) forwarding calls to my carrier network #.....so that's why it was ringing both dialers intermittently. So if I answered via the stock dialer I was using my minutes even though whomever called my gVoice number. WHAT A DUMBARSE!! Haha.

Tmobile Visual Voicemail was a fantastic tip, too, Tall Mike. Thanks!

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Make sure you don't have call forwarding checked. Now that I don't, only my GIP dialer rings when my gVoice # is called.

This might be helpful for some, too.
http://snrblabs.com/snrb/Apps/GrooveIP/GrooveIPUserGuide.pdf

snappy.jpg

dossamosas

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
In your troubleshooting have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling both GV and GrooveIP? It's about all I can think of that you might not have already tried.

No, I hadn't done that, but thanks.
I uninstalled Talkatone and have since been able to answer incoming calls.

To answer your other point, I guess the lure of being able to drop my monthly mobile bill to $30 is a big part of the motivation. The difference btw $30/mo and $50/mo is not huge, but to me, for now, so far - worth the hassle to see what the buzz is about and to explore and learn a few things, too.

dossamosas

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Are you using bluetooth? Android 4.2 has a bug where if you are connected to WiFi and using bluetooth the WiFi connection will disconnect. That would cause the app to sign out and sign back in when the network connection comes back.

Thanks, but I think I was having problems because I still had Talkatone installed on the phone. I didn't think it was running or doing anything at all, but since I removed it and re-booted I have been able to answer calls on GVIP. No bluetooth here.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
No, I hadn't done that, but thanks.
I uninstalled Talkatone and have since been able to answer incoming calls.

To answer your other point, I guess the lure of being able to drop my monthly mobile bill to $30 is a big part of the motivation. The difference btw $30/mo and $50/mo is not huge, but to me, for now, so far - worth the hassle to see what the buzz is about and to explore and learn a few things, too.

Glad you got it working.

I totally understand wanting to reduce the monthly recurring phone bill. I just went a different route.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
That's a pretty darned cool tip! I just changed my GV settings; it should be interesting to see how well this works out.

I am still testing the lite version, so I need my GV number forwarded to both for now (so I can, you know, answer calls while I am out ;)), but that sure sounds like the solution.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I just had one of my co-workers call me (I hadn't yet received any phone calls since adjusting the forwarding setting in GV) and it seems to work perfectly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt