N4 and Simple Mobile?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I've seen and read lots of threads about using the N4 with T-Mo's monthly plans and Straight Talk's plans, but hardly anything about Simple Mobile. As far as I can tell, they offer essentially the same deal as ST for $5 more, run on T-Mo's network, and have microsims available (no cutting required, not that this is a big deal). Anyone have any experience with Simple Mobile? Is there really any difference between a ST $45 plan on a T-Mo sim and their $50 plan?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
... Is there really any difference between a ST $45 plan on a T-Mo sim and their $50 plan?

I don't know about Simple Mobile, but as for Straight Talk vs. T-Mobile, Straight Talk does not include roaming (voice OR data) on any network whereas T-Mobile does (voice only; no data). Depending on your location, this could make a difference in which is the best choice.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've seen and read lots of threads about using the N4 with T-Mo's monthly plans and Straight Talk's plans, but hardly anything about Simple Mobile. As far as I can tell, they offer essentially the same deal as ST for $5 more, run on T-Mo's network, and have microsims available (no cutting required, not that this is a big deal). Anyone have any experience with Simple Mobile? Is there really any difference between a ST $45 plan on a T-Mo sim and their $50 plan?

They do not offer unlimited data and they are $5 more. They give you maybe 2GB before they throttle or cut you off. So its not much different except its $5 more money.

Simple mobile rly is only worth it if you are willing to go with the 3G plan to save $5 over spending $5 more.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I believe Simple Mobile is the same (no call roaming if you're off their network). That's one advantage you get with T-Mo's no-contract plans, but you do pay more for that privilege. So as far as I can tell:

1. $45 on Straight Talk gets you unlimited voice and text, and a "reasonable" amount of data before throttling (what's reasonable depends on location and network congestion);
  2. $50 on Simple Mobile gets you the same, plus a small allotment of international texting (noticed that after I made my initial post);
  3. $60 on T-Mobile monthly plan gets you the same but with a hard 2gb data cap before throttling and call roaming on partner networks.
That seem about right?

Michael Ryan

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I believe that only T-Mobiles Network supports any of the HSPA+ bands the N4 supports, so that's worth considering... I couldn'r source a SimpleTalk micro sim locally, both fry's were out, and others no micro, so doing T-Mobile prepay for the first month. Will switch again in a month. Couldn't handle my buggy old phone any more. Waited a month for shipping/backorder... actually had planned on a Galaxy Nexus in Sept. but was advised about the new release in October so been waiting a while.

Like it a lot so far. Was really happy with my N7 (of 6 tablets in the past 2 years), which is why I waited for the N4.

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I just received my phone and activated it through simple mobile.

So far I have noticed that my cell signal is better than when I was Sprint, and so is the do and up speeds.

The problem I am having is that I am not receiving all the mms being sent to me. Anyone else having this problem or know how to fix that?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I just received my phone and activated it through simple mobile.

So far I have noticed that my cell signal is better than when I was Sprint, and so is the do and up speeds.

The problem I am having is that I am not receiving all the mms being sent to me. Anyone else having this problem or know how to fix that?

You have to play with the APN settings..... there are a couple extensive threads on the subject that should come up in a search.

saeufer

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe that only T-Mobiles Network supports any of the HSPA+ bands the N4 supports, so that's worth considering... I couldn'r source a SimpleTalk micro sim locally, both fry's were out, and others no micro, so doing T-Mobile prepay for the first month. Will switch again in a month. Couldn't handle my buggy old phone any more. Waited a month for shipping/backorder... actually had planned on a Galaxy Nexus in Sept. but was advised about the new release in October so been waiting a while.

Like it a lot so far. Was really happy with my N7 (of 6 tablets in the past 2 years), which is why I waited for the N4.

The N4 supports all five common HSPA bands and works on essentially every GSM carrier in the world. There are literally thousands of people (myself included) using them on AT&T's HSPA+ network.

T-Mobile's network is dual-channel, so it's faster than the Death Star's, but 21Mbps is the price I pay for better coverage in the middle of nowhere.

As for plans, to me the market looks like this:
Can you handle T-Mobile coverage and only 100 minutes? Get the T-Mo $30/5GB plan.
If not, then get Straight Talk ($45) on whichever network fits your needs better: T-Mobile's HSPA+ is much faster, but AT&T has better coverage in many areas.
If you need more data, then it's off into the weeds of higher-priced plans.

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Yep. They should have something on their website.

I just tried their setting from the website and still it does not work.

I had my brother send a single pic, then a separate text with multiple pics, and finally a video and I will only receive one out of the three.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I just tried their setting from the website and still it does not work.

I had my brother send a single pic, then a separate text with multiple pics, and finally a video and I will only receive one out of the three.

Could be a problem with Simple Mobile's network, since you are seeing come come through on occasion. One thing you could try would be to make a new APN with the same settings and use that. For some reason a few people have had success resolving MMS/data issues by doing this.

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Which of these 2 settings are you guys using?

Android 4.0 & 4.1 (Ice Cream Sandwich & Jelly Bean) - Internet and MMS

Pull down the notifications screen & tap on Settings
Tap on Mobile Data (some phones say "more"
Tap Mobile Networks (some phones have "Access Point Names" here)
Tap Access Point Names
Press the menu button
Select New APN
Name:SIMPLE Mobile
APN: simple
Proxy:<Not set>
Port:<Not set>
Username:<Not set>
Password:<Not set>
Server:<Not set>
MMSC:http://smpl.mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS Proxy:<Not set>
MMS Port:<Not set>
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
APN Type: default,supl,mms,admin
If no APN settings are present, a restore to factory default settings may be required.
Select Menu and Save
Go back one screen to the APN list and tap on the dot to Enable the SIMPLE Mobile APN
Restart phone & you're set!
These settings have been tested to work with the Galaxy S3 and the HTC One S

LG Optimus T and Optimus G2X - Internet and MMS

Press Menu
Select Settings
Select Wireless & Networks
Check that Airplane mode is unchecked
Select Mobile Networks
Check that Data Enabled is checked
Select Access Point Name
*Note* T-Mobile US APN cannot be edited or delete
Press Menu
Select New APN
Enter the following settings:
Name:SIMPLE Mobile
APN*:simple
Proxy:<Not set>
Port:<Not set>
Username:<Not set>
Password:<Not set>
Server:<Not set>
MMSC: http://smpl.mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS Proxy:<Not set>
MMS Port:<Not set>
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Authentication Type: <Not set>
APN type:<Not set>
*Case sensitive
Press Menu
Select Save
Make sure the green radio button is directly to the right of SIMPLE Data MMS
Reboot phone.
Your Internet & MMS is now configured!

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

how much unthrottled data do you get with solavei? 4GB?

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I believe Simple Mobile is the same (no call roaming if you're off their network). That's one advantage you get with T-Mo's no-contract plans, but you do pay more for that privilege. So as far as I can tell:

1. $45 on Straight Talk gets you unlimited voice and text, and a "reasonable" amount of data before throttling (what's reasonable depends on location and network congestion);
  2. $50 on Simple Mobile gets you the same, plus a small allotment of international texting (noticed that after I made my initial post);
  3. $60 on T-Mobile monthly plan gets you the same but with a hard 2gb data cap before throttling and call roaming on partner networks.
That seem about right?
This looks like a good summary. As far as data speeds and roaming go in correlation with your list, can you please tell me if I'm correct here?
  1. ST: 21Mbps - no included roaming
  2. SM: 21Mbps - no included roaming
  3. TMo: 42Mbps - roaming included
My question now is: what happens to TMo's data speed when:
  • roaming
  • after the data throttling
Thanx, everybody for a great research thread!

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
This looks like a good summary. As far as data speeds and roaming go in correlation with your list, can you please tell me if I'm correct here?
  • roaming

Simple Mobile, because they run on T-Mobile's network, should support the same theoretical maximum of 42Mbps (although you're likely to only see half that, which is still plenty fast). As for what happens when you hit the data cap on T-Mobile, you get dropped down to Edge (2G) speeds. They're pretty terrible, but you can still send/receive email and MMS, and maybe do some light web browsing on graphics-light or text-only websites. You can't data roam on T-Mobile, but I have confirmed through personal experience that T-Mo's monthly plans do allow for voice roaming.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
  • roaming

Those are theoretical maximum speeds, and include all the background/handshaking/error correction/ etc that it takes to keep an active data connection going.
Real life speeds tend to be 1/3 to 1/2 that at best.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Simple Mobile, because they run on T-Mobile's network, should support the same theoretical maximum of 42Mbps (although you're likely to only see half that, which is still plenty fast). As for what happens when you hit the data cap on T-Mobile, you get dropped down to Edge (2G) speeds. They're pretty terrible, but you can still send/receive email and MMS, and maybe do some light web browsing on graphics-light or text-only websites. You can't data roam on T-Mobile, but I have confirmed through personal experience that T-Mo's monthly plans do allow for voice roaming.

Those are theoretical maximum speeds, and include all the background/handshaking/error correction/ etc that it takes to keep an active data connection going.
Real life speeds tend to be 1/3 to 1/2 that at best.
Thanx for the input, guys. I understand that real world speeds are completely different. What gets me: NO data roaming at all with a TMo account? Really? Wow...

As for the throttled speed, I seriously still think their Edge speed is comparable to my normal 3g on Sprint. It's terrible.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanx for the input, guys. I understand that real world speeds are completely different. What gets me: NO data roaming at all with a TMo account? Really? Wow...

Do you get data roaming with other carriers?

THis says you get limited free data roaming with Tmo, but maybe only post paid monthly: Support: Domestic Data Roaming FAQs

And this seems to infer that data roaming may be more accessible in the future: Verizon Loses Bid to Quash FCC's Data Roaming Rules | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zatarabr