Anyone previously have Google Voice Sprint integration that's switched to Nexus 4? Any problems?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I have used Google Voice's option to integrate it with Sprint but I'm switching to the Nexus 4. Are there any issues with this (since I'd no longer be on Sprint as the N4 is GSM)?

limdoug

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully I can help...

Like you guys, I was on Sprint and integrated with Google Voice. I was using a Galaxy Nexus...if that matters at all. I knew I wanted to leave and head over to T-Mobile prepaid so this is what I did...

- disabled my google voice integration so I could check to see if my number was eligible to port. i figured it would be, but just wanted to make sure...
https://www.google.com/voice/porting
- after it was ok, I went ahead and reintegrated it while I waited for my Nexus 4. everything went back to the way it was before and worked perfectly.
- got tired of waiting for my nexus 4 and purchased a htc one s (tmo branded).
- purchased a micro sim online for 99 cents.
- activated it online and got a new number from t-mobile
- set up the one s with google voice and had the new number point to my old number. everything worked as it should...people called my old number and my new phone would ring. nobody new i had a new number because it was so well integrated into the gvoice app.
- decided that this worked well enough and finally decided to port out of sprint and into google voice.
- disintegrated and went right ahead and kicked off the port process. it was simple and painless...a bunch of boxes to check to make sure you are good with everything. it took exactly 24 hours for my sprint phone to stop working and my contract to be terminated. text messages took another 36 hours to fully work. they warn you that it may take up to 3 business days.
- so now i'm using my one s and google voice...away from sprint completely. I love it!
- just patiently waiting for my nexus 4 to come...out for delivery on the big brown truck...

Hope that helps and feel free to ask more questions...I'm sure I wasn't clear or can add more detail.

Thanks,
Doug

jprins68

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
My situation was very similar to limdoug's. The process was pretty easy, just be aware of the 24 hours to fully port the number and the few days with spotty text messages. The $20 to port seemed odd, but I will easily make that back with a significant drop in monthly cell plan costs. There is also a small issue with voicemail if you are going with T-Mobile prepaid, they do not support conditional call forwarding.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Hope that helps and feel free to ask more questions...I'm sure I wasn't clear or can add more detail.

Thanks, this is helpful. Some questions:

1. I'm not fully understanding how the porting and the SIM card work.

When you buy the SIM card and put it in the phone, do you enter the number you want? Or does it give you a tmobile number no matter what and after porting your sprint number, you're still stuck with two numbers: GV and the SIM card one?

2. When you port, does this remove your previous GV number? I have Sprint integration but I also have it with two numbers: my Sprint mobile number and my Google Voice number. Both act the same (calls to either ring all my phones) but I actually have two.

kobastal

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I switched from sprint to straight talk about a month ago. First I dis-integrated GV from Sprint. then I cancelled Sprint by porting my number over to Google Voice. I had ordered a sim from ST. While I was waiting on Google to get its act together with the Nexus 4, I used a friend's beatup old iphone 4. With the new sim you get a new phone number. Just point the new number to your GV account and if anybody calls you or txts you, it will forward to the prepaid number. The trick can be calling out. On the iphone I had to use the GV app to either call or text out. If I didn't, it would show my new (pre-paid) number, which no one knew. Thankfully, I have received the Nexus 4 and discarded the iphone. It works better with GV but, I still can't send a text out of anything but the GV app without my new number being displayed. And using the GV app to text kind of sucks.

limdoug

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, this is helpful. Some questions:

1. I'm not fully understanding how the porting and the SIM card work.

When you buy the SIM card and put it in the phone, do you enter the number you want? Or does it give you a tmobile number no matter what and after porting your sprint number, you're still stuck with two numbers: GV and the SIM card one?

2. When you port, does this remove your previous GV number? I have Sprint integration but I also have it with two numbers: my Sprint mobile number and my Google Voice number. Both act the same (calls to either ring all my phones) but I actually have two.

1. You activate the sim card online, not in the phone. Well it provisions and stuff on the phone, but the part where you get your phone number is actually online or in store. When you activate your account online, it'll give you a choice of porting your number into this new account or receive a new number that t-mo will assign you. So it's your call on if you want to have your Sprint number permanently become your t-mo number. I didn't go this route and ported my sprint number to google voice so that I could jump carriers and not worry about porting in and out of carriers.

2. When you port out of Sprint, that number becomes your lone google voice number unless you pay to have your old one as well. I never had an old number, but read that this is what happens. You might want to validate this point though.

Let me know if you need further detail.

Thanks,
Doug

limdoug

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
My situation was very similar to limdoug's. The process was pretty easy, just be aware of the 24 hours to fully port the number and the few days with spotty text messages. The $20 to port seemed odd, but I will easily make that back with a significant drop in monthly cell plan costs. There is also a small issue with voicemail if you are going with T-Mobile prepaid, they do not support conditional call forwarding.

I ended up asking a t-mo csr on chat to disable my voicemail and now it always goes to my gvoice when I miss a call.

isawdrones

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I had GV Lite, aka voicemail only integration, with Sprint and just went ahead and ported my Sprint number to GV. I didn't disable the Lite integration first, and had no problems. Calls are working, but still within the text message outage time.

Note that jprins68 is right, and GV can't be your voicemail provider for T-Mobile prepaid.

limdoug

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Note that jprins68 is right, and GV can't be your voicemail provider for T-Mobile prepaid.

You can have t-mo disable the VM on their side. It will then kick into google voice as your VM provider. However, this only works when you miss a call - not decline a call. At least this is what happens in my case. Instead of hearing my phone ring for like 8 times before going to VM, I just hit the volume down rocker and then it'll stop audibly ringing for me, but the caller will still hear ringing and eventually get to the google voice VM. If I hit decline on the screen, it'll prompt the caller into a strange voice mail system where they ask them to enter the phone number they are trying to reach. Again, don't hit decline, just hit the volume rocker.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
FYI:

It was as easy as unchecking a box in a web browser. I just unchecked "Sprint integration" and then ported my number from Sprint to Google Voice (which took exactly 24 hours) and had zero issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude