LG Nexus 4 Experiencing Cracking Problems Due to Glass Backing

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I notice that glass breaks because the rules of physics are still in place. Drop your phone, bad things happen. Put it in a case and don't be sloppy. Anyone who says their glass spontaneously broke is trolling.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The author said his Nexus 4 and LG Optimus were not dropped. Just temp change caused the crack.

http://www.droid-life.com/author/kellex/

I notice that glass breaks because the rules of physics are still in place. Drop your phone, bad things happen. Put it in a case and don't be sloppy. Anyone who says their glass spontaneously broke is trolling.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

YoSaintLaurent

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
The issue with the droid-life article is it makes you think it is a quality issue when it is really a science issue. Cold granite and warm glass don't mix. Even more so with cold and moist granite. The same thing happened with you put a warm Pyrex dish on a granite counter tops. It is one of the downsides of granite.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The author said his Nexus 4 and LG Optimus were not dropped. Just temp change caused the crack.

http://www.droid-life.com/author/kellex/

I call BS on this article. Am I the only one? The temperature difference is not THAT extreme. Pour boiling water into a glass and put it in the freezer - THAT will cause the glass to crack. This won't.

Honestly, I do not understand why so many people are so quick to believe unsubstantiated claims.

YoSaintLaurent

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I call BS on this article. Am I the only one? The temperature difference is not THAT extreme. Pour boiling water into a glass and put it in the freezer - THAT will cause the glass to crack. This won't.

Honestly, I do not understand why so many people are so quick to believe unsubstantiated claims.

Google "granite countertop Pyrex." You will find a lot of articles about how placing a hot glass on cold granite causes it to break. Given that the glass on both phones are nowhere near as thick as a glass container it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that it would crack if placed on it. I know my Nexus 4 gets pretty hot after long periods of use. I also know after seeing those pictures I will not be leaving my phone anywhere near granite countertop!

doug9000

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Several and many very scientific descriptions there. The back is glass that means the phone has 2x the possibility of breaking. I've had a phone with a all glass front for 3 years and never broken the glass once. So 2x times 0 = 0, I don't see the problem.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
my N4 back cracked today, never dropped... this is not a BS... BS is that google sell this phone with this issue...
Can you be more specific? When did it crack, how did you find out it cracked, where was the phone immediately prior to cracking, did you set it down on a cold granite countertop after use? Something has to have caused the crack. Glass doesn't just crack on its own.

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
my N4 back cracked today, never dropped... this is not a BS... BS is that google sell this phone with this issue...

It's BS that your phone randomly broke, unless simultaneously all the glass in your house, including windows and mirrors, and car glass shattered at the exact same time. see how unlikely it is.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Glass doesn't spontaneously break. Something causes it. Even flexing slightly can.

So no, it didn't "just happen" something caused it to happen.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

AnGeor

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
as always everybody know what happened to MY phone better than ME...

Yea, something caused it, I'd say too much tension and temperature change. Maybe it was too cold outside today? It was in my pocket, email arrived with vibration notification. I was outside, checked the email and put it back. Another email and when I reach for it, I can feel the crack. I was standing outside, smoking... So something caused it for sure, but it wasn't me... Maybe the vibrations are too powerful? :D

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Did you check the back before/after the first email arrived and made sure there wasn't a crack? Isn't it possible that something caused the crack long before you went for a smoke but you didn't notice it till later?

No one is claiming they know what happened to your phone better than you. But glass does not just crack or break spontaneously. There has to be a better explanation than "I put it in my pocket and it magically shattered."

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
as always everybody know what happened to MY phone better than ME...

Yea, something caused it, I'd say too much tension and temperature change. Maybe it was too cold outside today? It was in my pocket, email arrived with vibration notification. I was outside, checked the email and put it back. Another email and when I reach for it, I can feel the crack. I was standing outside, smoking... So something caused it for sure, but it wasn't me... Maybe the vibrations are too powerful? :D

Temperature change can certainly crack glass. A few people have reported that putting their hot phone on a cold surface (such as the granite counter top noted earlier) cracked the back glass. Is it cold where you live right now? Did you go from a warm environment (indoors) to a very cold one?

As others have noted, glass doesn't magically break; there's always a reason. Pinpointing what that reason is can help you and others avoid it later. If N4's are cracking due to environmental temperature change, that sucks and we'll have to be aware of it. Anyone know if the iPhone 4/4s suffered from breakage due to air temp changes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge