Who got fed up of waiting?

aSadistsWrath

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I did.

I was at school when they were first on sale and it has not come back on sale yet in the UK.

Because of the appalling service from Google and the estimated shipping times that go past Christmas, I'm buying a Samsung Galaxy S3. I'd be paying almost the same amount unlocked if I was buying the Nexus 4 from a dedicated carrier anyway.

I'll be ordering my S3 tomorrow. Google really should have been prepared.

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Nice. Congrats on picking a slightly better phone with a much better camera :) gotta admit that N4 looks tasty though.

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3

Last edited by a moderator:

aSadistsWrath

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 4 is an amazing phone, with huge benefits being a Google phone, but I just can't wait that long for a phone. I was prepared to wait until mid November but this is ridiculous :/

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I stopped waiting for Google to get their act together when my Nexus 4 was delivered yesterday. I'm not going to wait for them anymore.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I have been dying to own a nexus but now I'm contemplating a galaxy s3. All and all the there shouldn't be these kind of supply issues, not in 2012, not in the era of cheap manufacturing. I am also thinking about an Optimus G since it's virtually the same phone with one major plus: you can actually buy it!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
If the GSIII was a slightly better phone I'd be getting one. I'm not.

Well the S3 being a better phone is factual. It's not an opinion. You might like one better than another, but the S3 is better. Regardless of which phone YOU are getting.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The American s3 has a weaker chipset than the n4...but in reality if both phones we're running the same os by the time you'd notice so difference in gaming or ui performance, both would be outdated. Which is better? Really its depends what you want. Does a quad core matter to you? Can you handle a slightly outdated version of android and deal with to touchwiz or would you rather have aosp? Do you prefer lcd or super amoled? Is 16gb enough storage for you?

Basscase

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Well the S3 being a better phone is factual. It's not an opinion. You might like one better than another, but the S3 is better. Regardless of which phone YOU are getting.

Not to be "that guy," but how is the SGIII a better phone fact? The things that make it "better" are purely opinion, things like LTE support (doesn't affect me), removable SD card (I for one couldn't care less)...other than that they spec out almost identically (if not with the N4 slightly edging out the SGIII).

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Not to be "that guy," but how is the SGIII a better phone fact? The things that make it "better" are purely opinion, things like LTE support (doesn't affect me), removable SD card (I for one couldn't care less)...other than that they spec out almost identically (if not with the N4 slightly edging out the SGIII).

You would be right. Depends on your needs. If you just want a bad ass smart phone with all the bells and whistles, galaxy s3. If you want a powerful phone that's pure google and kept up to date, nexus 4.

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
You would be right. Depends on your needs. If you just want a bad ass smart phone with all the bells and whistles, galaxy s3. If you want a powerful phone that's pure google and kept up to date, nexus 4.

I've had both and there is no "better" phone. All preference.

Sent from my Nexus 4, you jelly bro?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Better often does come down to preference. But I would say removeable SD is HUGE to most people. I know you said it doesn't matter to you, and you're probably being honest but it's also easy to say in this scenario to downplay a substantial feature. Same goes for LTE. It may be your preference but the fact that every poll showed the vast majority of Nexus fans being disappointed in those missing features indicates it's a big issue. I also know that sales doesn't mean much considering iPhones sell millions. But in the Android realm, i'm confident the S3 will prove to be much more popular a choice. And let's face it, that does play a small role. I'm not sayong the N4 isn't great, in fact I am getting one for my wife and I am convincing my parents to get it as well. For the price, it can't be beat. I also think it means something that most tech review sites referred to the S3 as the King of Android for months, and I highly doubt the N4 will get even a similar title.

I know all that matters is that you get the phone that works for you. But there's still obvious phones that are better than others. I have the S3, but i'd say the Note 2 is better. Probably the Droid DNA as well. The Maxx HD would be in the mix, as would the One X+. It's okay to love your phone, but logic doesn't have to get tossed aside because of it.

bphelminski

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Better often does come down to preference. But I would say removeable SD is HUGE to most people. I know you said it doesn't matter to you, and you're probably being honest but it's also easy to say in this scenario to downplay a substantial feature. Same goes for LTE. It may be your preference but the fact that every poll showed the vast majority of Nexus fans being disappointed in those missing features indicates it's a big issue. I also know that sales doesn't mean much considering iPhones sell millions. But in the Android realm, i'm confident the S3 will prove to be much more popular a choice. And let's face it, that does play a small role. I'm not sayong the N4 isn't great, in fact I am getting one for my wife and I am convincing my parents to get it as well. For the price, it can't be beat. I also think it means something that most tech review sites referred to the S3 as the King of Android for months, and I highly doubt the N4 will get even a similar title.

I know all that matters is that you get the phone that works for you. But there's still obvious phones that are better than others. I have the S3, but i'd say the Note 2 is better. Probably the Droid DNA as well. The Maxx HD would be in the mix, as would the One X+. It's okay to love your phone, but logic doesn't have to get tossed aside because of it.

I know you're trying to be fair with this, but I think you're being a bit contradictory. Which phone is "best" is purely subjective because each person values things differently. I'll use myself as an example. I had an iPhone 4S, then switched to a Galaxy Nexus. I wanted to try out LTE and Android, and I liked it. I also liked the larger screen (without being too big) and I loved the pure Android experience. But it was too buggy and the build quality and camera quality left a lot to be desired. So I switched back to the iPhone. At that time, it was the best phone for me. It was certainly not the most advanced phone on the market, but it worked best for me. Likewise, right now I have an iPhone 5. It is not the most advanced phone on the market, but I don't want a huge device so it worked for me. However, I've since moved to a country that doesn't have LTE (or even real HSPA+), so that is no longer a draw. Plus, with the low price of the Nexus, it is much more attractive to me. In fact, based on everything I've seen I think it will be the best phone, for me. The Note or Note II is way too big, so that won't work for me, and the Galaxy S III, while a very nice phone, just doesn't feel right to me. I've played around with one several times and there's something about it I don't like. So, Nexus it is.

So "best" is always subjective. It comes down to what is most important to each individual, and then make the determination based on that. Nobody else can say what the best phone is broadly. It depends what is most important to each user.

Basscase

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I know you said it doesn't matter to you, and you're probably being honest but it's also easy to say in this scenario to downplay a substantial feature.
Completely honest. My MT4G had 8GB expandable to 64GB with external card. NEVER once needed to go beyond the 8GB. If I ran out of space....which I did a few times. I dumped some photos, unused apps, videos...whatever, to make room for whatever it was I needed space for. Now with my 16GB N4 and cloud storage, I know for a fact I will survive.

aSadistsWrath

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It depends on what you want. If you want instant updates and slightly higher specs ten get the Nexus 4.... Assuming you can get it.
If you want a high end smartphone that fully utilises the hardware and software then get the Galaxy S3.

It's all preference. They're both good phones, I just got fed up of waiting weeks for it to appear on the play store.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I ain't gonna lie i'd definitely prefer an sd and lte, buy I can live without for pure google. I am content with my Vivid's hardware honestly its the software that stinks on it and kind of why I don't want to buy a carrier phone again. Sense has totally crippled this thing, ics update ended up being almost a downgrade because of sense. And from what I've seen on the gs3, touchwiz is also bloated and very heavy now, it was pretty light when I had my captivate.

So I dunno, I can talk ish but I'm probably going to wait it out, because my vivid kind of is a demonstration of what carrier phones are going to. Custom roms are slowly but surely becoming harder to make and install. You get any carrier phone you just have to accept it the way it is and don't count ever on getting an update, and consider everyone a bonus.

Last edited:

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
As ive stated before, if you take SD card slot away you must replace it with a practical transferable storage alternative. The N4 does not do that. At least for me. I couldn't imagine relying on the Cloud to transfer media on a day to day basis, much less needing an internet connection for all transfers.

The Cloud is fine... just leave the choice in the user's hands. No one can deny all who purchase Nexus4s are settling... regardless if they are happy with the other features.

That's why i said the S3 is better. If you ever feel like you're settling you can just root it. You can't add an SD card slot to the N4 much less active LTE functionality...

bphelminski

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
As ive stated before, if you take SD card slot away you must replace it with a practical transferable storage alternative. The N4 does not do that. At least for me. I couldn't imagine relying on the Cloud to transfer media on a day to day basis, much less needing an internet connection for all transfers.

The Cloud is fine... just leave the choice in the user's hands. No one can deny all who purchase Nexus4s are settling... regardless if they are happy with the other features.

That's why i said the S3 is better. If you ever feel like you're settling you can just root it. You can't add an SD card slot to the N4 much less active LTE functionality...

See, here's where you projecting your needs onto others. Using me as an example again, there is nothing settling about the Nexus 4. I've never once in my life used an SD card slot on a phone. Never. I've had phones that had them, but never needed it. And I still don't need it, so there is no settling for me. I understand what you're saying and that use of the phone would be settling for you, and that for you, the GSIII is a better phone. That makes sense, for you. But for me, it doesn't. The N4 does everything I need a phone to do, and more, and it does it at a fraction of the cost of other phones. So for me, it is the best option. For me.

I have a quick question for you: What are you transferring to your phone on a daily basis that requires an SD card or some other transferable storage alternative? Maybe I'm ignorant, but I don't know of anything I'd do that with.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes