Android OS process consuming 3 times more battery power than the screen

shmandroid

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I got a Nexus 4 on the Friday of release week. I love it! I do have one concern:

I've been seeing my battery dropping faster than I would like, without what I would consider an abnormal amount of use. The main culprit in my battery stats is Android OS. It has been consuming much more than my screen - today almost three times as much! And this has been the case for much of the time I've had the phone.

Today I've had 55 minutes of screen on time and it was down to less than 49% just after lunch, when I plugged it in briefly. I have my screen brightness set to 0 (not auto). I have my location tracking turned off in Maps, some of the location features in Google Now disabled, and I've been connected to stable wifi almost all day. My phone signal here at work is stable at four bars.

I have the default launcher, default keyboard, and just standard apps like Twitter and Instagram installed. I don't have Facebook installed.

Any ideas what would be causing Android OS to be using this much power? Or is that number misleading, and this is normal? I don't feel like I'm using the phone all that much, for it not to at least get me through most of the day.

VyjLA.png

NQ6jw.png

ji9cd.png

73Ui4.png

mattatwar1

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
My screen uses more

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354232624233.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354232624233.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 29

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
My Galaxy Nexus on 4.2 is also having battery issues. It doesn't always disconnect from the GPS which remains running and earlier today "Google Services" used 46% of the battery. It is also slow to charge, I did not have these issues before upgrading the OS... I have to reboot the phone to resolve.

Kaenon

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I got a Nexus 4 on the Friday of release week. I love it! I do have one concern:

I've been seeing my battery dropping faster than I would like, without what I would consider an abnormal amount of use. The main culprit in my battery stats is Android OS. It has been consuming much more than my screen - today almost three times as much! And this has been the case for much of the time I've had the phone.

Today I've had 55 minutes of screen on time and it was down to less than 49% just after lunch, when I plugged it in briefly. I have my screen brightness set to 0 (not auto). I have my location tracking turned off in Maps, some of the location features in Google Now disabled, and I've been connected to stable wifi almost all day. My phone signal here at work is stable at four bars.

I have the default launcher, default keyboard, and just standard apps like Twitter and Instagram installed. I don't have Facebook installed.

Any ideas what would be causing Android OS to be using this much power? Or is that number misleading, and this is normal? I don't feel like I'm using the phone all that much, for it not to at least get me through most of the day.

http://i.imgur.com/VyjLA.png

http://i.imgur.com/NQ6jw.png

http://i.imgur.com/ji9cd.png

http://i.imgur.com/73Ui4.png

I had this too.

Then I got my 16GB version in today and no issues.

I will try to look into the issue more and see if I can figure out a solution.

shmandroid

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not freaking out - just curious! I'm happy with the phone either way. But I'm a nerd and I like to study and discuss these types of things!

shmandroid

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
@tjm9007

Cool - let me know what you find out. The first couple days I noticed the Mediaserver process was taking up more than screen or Android OS. I turned off syncing on Google Music, reset the phone, and that seemed to fix it.

I wonder if it could be Google Now constantly checking on things? Maybe I'll disable it for the day and see if anything gets affected. I'll let you know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks