Which launcher do you use? Paid or free version?

Go Ogle

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Apex? Nova? Go?

Pro version of any of these?

I downloaded Apex on the 20th when I got the phone and just downloaded pro yesterday and I'm not sure why. All I did was change the way it looks when I cycle through the screens.

What are some tips or hints you think not many people know about Apex/Nova/Go

Why does no one use Go on the internet but everyone downloads it?

Basscase

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I use ADW EX. The new update really helped it out. Plus it integrates with JB really well. Sounds a lot like apex. Used launcher pro plus before that, but the Dev totally abandoned it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Nova, paid version.

Uses for me: - use 3 homescreens only, I have no need for more than that.
- Gesture features: swipe down to bring notification shade down when on homescreen. Once you get used to that you never want to reach all the way up to pull it down, lol. Also swipe up for app drawer, let's me limit the number of dock icons I use.
- use custom folder and app icons, let's me set it up nicely like the screenshot i have below.
- ability to backup and restore multiple different settings and configurations.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354279047051.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354279047051.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 60

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Nova, paid version.

Uses for me: - use 3 homescreens only, I have no need for more than that.
- Gesture features: swipe down to bring notification shade down when on homescreen. Once you get used to that you never want to reach all the way up to pull it down, lol. Also swipe up for app drawer, let's me limit the number of dock icons I use.
- use custom folder and app icons, let's me set it up nicely like the screenshot i have below.
- ability to backup and restore multiple different settings and configurations.

Did you restore your Nova backup from your GNex onto the N4, or set up Nova from scratch?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
HTC Thunderbolt (Gingerbread): Go!Launcher, free. Since it's on Gingerbread, aftermarket launchers are now somewhat limited, and the old version of Sense is horrible. Go! is about the best option I've got.

Nexus 7 (Jelly Bean): Stock or Nova (Paid). Stock has gotten pretty good, but like 2defmouze I find having to reach all the way to the top of the screen to pull down the notification bars is too much like work, and I like the extra configuration options. Currently, though, I'm running stock and liking it. I'll probably switch back to Nova in a few days.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Why does no one use Go on the internet but everyone downloads it?

I use Go Launcher EX right now on my MoPho and love it, but I'll probably try out stock for a while on the N4. My main reason for installing it initially was being able to customize the dock, but I've grown to like some of the other little features (such as themes and being able to customize drawer and screen shift animations). I also like that the devs constantly update it.

I also own ADW EX (bought it during Google's 10 cent sale), but don't like it as much as Go.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
I have paid version of apex launcher that I always used. Used Nova for a little bit before that, and Launcherpro plus in its early days

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if there is a launcher that looks mostly stock, but works in landscape mode for the home screen. Using the Optimus G has really gotten me to like landscape home screens, I was looking to see if it's possible to extract that launcher too use, but it changes a lot of stuff when all I really want changed is orientation. Any suggestions?

AussieAndroid

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Stock or Apex.

Used to use Nova, but it has more noticeable lag for me. This was across my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4. Apex has the same features I need without the lag, and you can fit more onto a homescreen as it can have a bigger grid. It does redraw a fair bit with certain widgets which is annoying, but not anywhere near as annoying as Nova's lag.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Did you restore your Nova backup from your GNex onto the N4, or set up Nova from scratch?

Decided to set it up from scratch, wanted to limit the amount of data I restored between devices, and I liked getting a fresh canvas to play with :)

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if there is a launcher that looks mostly stock, but works in landscape mode for the home screen. Using the Optimus G has really gotten me to like landscape home screens, I was looking to see if it's possible to extract that launcher too use, but it changes a lot of stuff when all I really want changed is orientation. Any suggestions?

There are a couple ways to do it if you're rooted, like a simple build.prop edit. If you aren't rooted, an app like this will enable rotation in the stock launcher: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=nl.fameit.rotate&hl=en&token=zibN1Wu6

I've been using the stock launcher as well - I love its fluid transitions. Maybe I'll give Nova another try though.

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
There are a couple ways to do it if you're rooted, like a simple build.prop edit. If you aren't rooted, an app like this will enable rotation in the stock launcher: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=nl.fameit.rotate&hl=en&token=8RJmnkRU

I've been using the stock launcher as well - I love its fluid transitions. Maybe I'll give Nova another try though.

Thanks, I am indeed rooted. I used that app, and I like how it works, but I'm not a fan of the price. I'm very curious about the build.prop edit method. Do you by any chance know what needs done?

EDIT

I did some Googling and the launcher.force_enable_rotation=true + reboot doesn't seem to work

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I am indeed rooted. I used that app, and I like how it works, but I'm not a fan of the price. I'm very curious about the build.prop edit method. Do you by any chance know what needs done?

EDIT

I did some Googling and the launcher.force_enable_rotation=true + reboot doesn't seem to work

Interesting - perhaps things have changed with Android 4.2.

I did find the stock launcher with rotation enabled: Jelly Bean 4.2.1 OTA Launcher with rotation (deodexed apk) flashable - xda-developers. Give that a try.

bmolloy

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I have used ADW, Nova, and some others. I say always pay if you can. Generally these programs only cost a few dollars and we should do what we can to support the developer community on Android. Some apps they do pretty well off advertisements built into the app but launchers don't have adds so I think paying is the right thing to do.