Why is my Nexus 4 ineligible for Solavei?!? Missing out on FREE deal!

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I heard a radio ad for phone service that kicks a contribution to a charity for families of fallen police officers and when I went to check it out (link), discovered it was done in conjunction with Solavei. Even better is that they're offering the first month AND the SIM for FREE, saving me $78 right off. Good, right? WRONG!!!

I went to register and they asked for the IMEI that comes up after dialing *#06# and punched it in and it says I'm ineligible for signing up, with my only options being to either buy a device (only option is a ZTE Origin, whatever that is) or to sign up as a "Social Member" for $149 per year which doesn't even give you phone service, but allows you to, I guess, sell the service to others. I know it's not supposed to be a pyramid scam, but WTFF are people supposed to think?

Anyone else get shot down trying to sign up or did you go through someone else to get your hookup? TIA.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
That not what my question was. I have ST AT&T, but want to try T-Mo and this would allow me to do so for free. Also, the kick to charity and the potential to make some coin are factors as well. And it's $4 cheaper.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
That not what my question was. I have ST AT&T, but want to try T-Mo and this would allow me to do so for free. Also, the kick to charity and the potential to make some coin are factors as well. And it's $4 cheaper.
If Solavei simply uses T-mobile's network, the Nexus 4 should have no problem connecting to the Network. Did it give you a reason? I don't know what type of SIM cards Solavei has, but if it has only regular SIM cards, that may be why it's telling you no. The Nexus 4 uses a Micro SIM. Call Solavei and ask. info@solavei.com

Ask them if you can just order a SIM card, even if it's a regular SIM. You can cut the regular SIM down to make a Micro SIM pretty easily.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
No reason given, just that it's not eligible. I tried the phone # on the site, but it's just an answering machine for the Freedom49 group. I'll shoot them a note and ask.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I checked the BBB, Solavei's only been in business since May of 2012. Their B rating is only because they've been in business for less than three years. I'd feel more comfortable once they've matured a bit. I don't know what they need your EMEI information for which, by the way, can be accessed by going to Settings > About Phone > Status, scroll down to IMEI. Viol?, there's your number. Its also on the box your Nexus came in, on the lower left of the sticker with all the bar codes. Do they have access to the entire collection of EMEI codes? It just seems like they shouldn't have access to it and I wouldn't have been comfortable telling them.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a hard time biting my tongue at the replies here because they seem to answer questions other than what I've asked. It's like I asked, "How do I change a tire?" and the replies are, "Cars are expensive. Buy a bike." and "You should change that tire." :mad: I already have my IMEI number, thus the question asking why I'm getting rejected. As for how do they know what kind of phone I have; I'm sure that part of that string is make/model code just as several digits of a credit card # tell what company it's from and a car's VIN # spells out all sorts of details about what kind of features your ride has.

I got an auto-reply from Solavei and decided to give their phone line a call. I really wish I could've recorded this call so everyone could hear the utterly clueless and circular discussion I had with the CSR. She kept telling me how they'd love to "have [me] on board" but if a phone wasn't approved for use, they couldn't guarantee it would work. Then she told me about how there was a 14-day refund period in case I wanted to take a chance on the service working or not. (Since it's effing FREE, hell to the yeah I'd like to take a crack at that, not that I'm being allowed to FFS.) This went on for 10-15 minutes (whole call was 28 mins long, but I was on hold a while before they spoke to me), round-and-round as she get burping up the script while trying to encourage me to go rogue and somehow beat the system. It was very weird. They'd love to take my money, but talked to me like I'm as dumb as their CSRs, simultaneously giving wrong info that pretended it wouldn't work.

The list of supported phones is here - Device Selection - and every previous Nexus is on here, so it smells to me like they simply haven't gotten around to adding the N4 to the supported list. Bother, but I'm thinking that if they already extended this from the end of October until the end of November, a repeat next month is likely. Still it's a PITMFA. I found a post here where someone put up an invite link and supplied an IMEI from a GS3, but that doesn't sit quite right with me. Sigh.

csloomis

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Interestingly enough I just tried my IMEI and it pops back with the same response. "Sorry! Your phone isn't compatible with Solavei Mobile Service."

I think you are right in the assumption that the N4 just hasn't been added to their approved list yet.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The thing I don't like about those sorts of posts is that it's a slightly sneaky way to get people onto your network, feeding you $$$, by providing the referral link. I get how and why, but the key thing is the working IMEI # - in this case 353022055115650 - meaning I or anyone can just sign up clean with Solavei and be the top of our own pyramids, since if you add people to yours, these referrers are getting them counted too.

MrMoneypenny

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The thing I don't like about those sorts of posts is that it's a slightly sneaky way to get people onto your network, feeding you $$$, by providing the referral link. I get how and why, but the key thing is the working IMEI # - in this case 353022055115650 - meaning I or anyone can just sign up clean with Solavei and be the top of our own pyramids, since if you add people to yours, these referrers are getting them counted too.

You're welcome.

mr19

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

I agree (although I think you're still the top of a pyramid regardless of who refers you). Best part is the ones posting the referral link usually have 1 post. I appreciate people providing a working IMEI (someone helped me as well) but am a bit overwhelmed by the solavei pounce that occurs whenever you mention the service.

MrMoneypenny

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree (although I think you're still the top of a pyramid regardless of who refers you). Best part is the ones posting the referral link usually have 1 post. I appreciate people providing a working IMEI (someone helped me as well) but am a bit overwhelmed by the solavei pounce that occurs whenever you mention the service.

That post from XDA wasn't mine, if that's what you're suggesting. I have a Solavei account, but I'm not one to post it all over the place because I agree, it's tacky. And I'm not even all that interested in their referral system, to be quite honest.

I've been browsing this forum quite a bit while I wait on my Nexus 4 to arrive. I saw that the OP needed some help with Solavei and figured I might as well sign up for AC so I can give him the answer. Again, the referral link in the XDA post isn't mine. I figured he might appreciate a full set of instructions instead of just the number.

mr19

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
More of a general statement about the methods of the Solavei fanboys. In the Other US Carriers forum I posted about concerns with porting my number to a relatively new company (Solavei) and the potential for losing it. Said I was already a customer but still had someone pounce on the Solavei keyword and offer to help me signup. I like the pricing, hopefully like the T-Mobile service (gotta be better than Sprint), but hate the Amway feel to it.

MrMoneypenny

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, mostly.

The two reasons I signed up for Solavei were that it's $10 cheaper than the equivalent T-Mo plan and doesn't throttle until 4 GB instead of 2. The referral system had nothing to do with it.

I think the main problem with the spamming comes from the fact that Solavei has enlisted the get-rich-quick types to sell this, not just customers. If they were relying solely on actual customers, I don't think it would be nearly as aggressive and irritating. The plan itself is good enough, discounts notwithstanding.

mr19

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, mostly.

The two reasons I signed up for Solavei were that it's $10 cheaper than the equivalent T-Mo plan and doesn't throttle until 4 GB instead of 2. The referral system had nothing to do with it.

I think the main problem with the spamming comes from the fact that Solavei has enlisted the get-rich-quick types to sell this, not just customers. If they were relying solely on actual customers, I don't think it would be nearly as aggressive and irritating. The plan itself is good enough, discounts notwithstanding.

Agree. I signed up for the same reasons. Why don't they save the $20/per trio they are handing out up the chain and just reduce the price by $5 to make it even more attractive.