Best choice for world travel phone?

LionMG

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'll be heading on an overseas adventure, and I'm in the market for my first smartphone ever (believe it or not). I was wondering if the Nexus 4 would be a good choice, or if someone had another recommendation.

I'd be using it mainly for Google Maps, to get directions from point A to point B. Also to check on reviews of accommodations/restaurants, translation apps, browsing the net for info, etc. The usual travel stuff. Battery life is important.

Related question: I'll end up staying long term in various countries. I was wondering how that would work in terms of a date plan for the phone? Would I just buy pre-paid SIMS in each country, or sign up for a monthly plan in each country, then cancel when I leave?

Any replies would be much appreciated. :D

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'll be heading on an overseas adventure, and I'm in the market for my first smartphone ever (believe it or not). I was wondering if the Nexus 4 would be a good choice, or if someone had another recommendation.

I'd be using it mainly for Google Maps, to get directions from point A to point B. Also to check on reviews of accommodations/restaurants, translation apps, browsing the net for info, etc. The usual travel stuff. Battery life is important.

Related question: I'll end up staying long term in various countries. I was wondering how that would work in terms of a date plan for the phone? Would I just buy pre-paid SIMS in each country, or sign up for a monthly plan in each country, then cancel when I leave?

Any replies would be much appreciated. :D

yes, Nexus 4 would be a good choice. it support pentaband so it will work with all GSM carriers all over the world.

google maps navigation works only in certain countries. here is the list Availability - Google Maps for Mobile Help its a big list tbh.
yup you can do reviews of accommodations/restaurants, translation apps, browsing the net for info by downloading appropriate apps.

and yes,you buy a prepaid sim in each country use it and cancel it when u leave. data can be used by buying data plan with the prepaid sim. most prepaid plans comes with data too.

LionMG

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Argh, Thailand isn't listed. :(

Is this only GPS? I won't be driving. So as long as I have Google Maps and Street View I think I'll be okay. I basically just want to be able to see where my destination is, and know if I can walk or instead take a bus/taxi.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Argh, Thailand isn't listed. :(

Is this only GPS? I won't be driving. So as long as I have Google Maps and Street View I think I'll be okay. I basically just want to be able to see where my destination is, and know if I can walk or instead take a bus/taxi.
if you just want to use google maps then it works in all countries but if you want to use like GPS turn by turn navigation then it will work only in countries listed above.
but there will be alternative apps in playstore which will let you use navigation in countries not available in google navigation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12