Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

phstrat

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I really want the Nexus 4 however the two biggies that are holding me back are,
1) The extreme fragileness of the Nexus...seems very easy to crack the glass with just a small drop...
2) Lack of sd card

My limited research has lead me to one phone that is compatible both price and spec-wise to the Nexus 4...
and of course it's from CHINA:

Huawei U9508 Honor Glory II Quad-Core 1.4GHz 4.5 inch IPS Retinal Screen 2G RAM Android 4.0 ICS 8.0MP Gorilla Glass
Huawei U9508 Honor Glory II Quad-Core 1.4GHz 4.5 inch IPS Retinal Screen 2G RAM Android 4.0 ICS 8.0MP

I found this phone as low as $345.00
Huawei U9508 Honor2- K3V2 Quad Core 1.4Ghz 2G Ram 4.5 inch 1280*720 IPS Screen Android 4.0.4 Phone - $345.00

It's basically a Huawei Ascend D1 with 2G Ram and a slightly different form factor...and has only been available for only a couple of weeks.
It come with ICS 4.0.4 and an micro sc card slot to 32GB and has WCDMA 850/900/1700/1900/2100MHz

Con's:
1) Won't see nearly the support from the Dev community for custom Roms and such
2) Will it have a good selection of accessories like cases, screen protectors?

I currently have the Huawei Mercury and it's a tough little phone that can handle some abuse so hopefully Glory II will as well.

What are your thoughts on this phone?
Are there any other smartphones that can compete with the Nexus 4 at it's price point?

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I think your 2 cons are really deal breakers for most that would want a N4.

I think the other main difference would be the lockstep nature of the phone to Android updates and Google. Personally,I have had some bad issues with warranty when buying direct from China as well.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
No other phone can compare if you are looking for a developer phone that is pure Google and that will have dev support and quick updates. If you are not a tinkerer or a dev then that's a story.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

D3lit3

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Dude I wouldn't touch Huawei with a 10 foot pole.

As it stands nothing can compete with the N4 in regards to specs-to-price ratio, meaning this is the cheapest phone of the highest build quality and specifications that you will find, bar none. This is the reason that demand is simply too high, and will remain so until either supply or competition can compensate.

phstrat

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Dude I wouldn't touch Huawei with a 10 foot pole.

As it stands nothing can compete with the N4 in regards to specs-to-price ratio, meaning this is the cheapest phone of the highest build quality and specifications that you will find, bar none. This is the reason that demand is simply too high, and will remain so until either supply or competition can compensate.

I own a Huawei...the Mercury M886 on Cricket Wireless...so I've already touched one....got it for $150 and it's a pretty nice little 3g phone...excellent bang for the buck...
You're not a Xenophobe are you? ie why wouldn't you touch one? Most phones are made in China anyway...

D3lit3

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I own a Huawei...the Mercury M886 on Cricket Wireless...so I've already touched one....got it for $150 and it's a pretty nice little 3g phone...excellent bang for the buck...
You're not a Xenophobe are you? ie why wouldn't you touch one? Most phones are made in China anyway...

I'm sure their functional, sorry I guess they are ok.

I just know certain people that would never buy a Kia over a Honda, for example. And it's not because the Kia isn't a good car to drive, its almost as if they have a subconscious quality filter when it comes to anything from China, and automatically assume (mostly correctly) that a Japanese vehicle would possess way higher longevity and higher build quality.

That was kinda what I was saying. LG is on par with quality that is expected from Samsung, Sony, etc. At the price point of $350 selling a high build quality smartphone is insane.

phstrat

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

I just know certain people that would never buy a Kia over a Honda, for example. And it's not because the Kia isn't a good car to drive, its almost as if they have a subconscious quality filter when it comes to anything from China, and automatically assume (mostly correctly) that a Japanese vehicle would possess way higher longevity and higher build quality.

That was kinda what I was saying. LG is on par with quality that is expected from Samsung, Sony, etc. At the price point of $350 selling a high build quality smartphone is insane.

I really like the N4 but all that glass is holding me back....to bad they don't have a HD version...ie Heavy Duty...I really don't want to fret every time I pick it up over fear of a drop, slip, or mishap...
IMO, it's crazy to charge $600 to $700 for a no contract unlocked phone and competition from the likes of Huawei are a good thing for the general consumer at lowering overpriced devises from the big boys....as is the N4....the problem with the N4 is no sd card which forces you onto the cloud and potentially more expensive data plans from the carriers..

saeufer

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Kia, being a Korean company, makes its cars in either South Korea just like N4s, or, more commonly these days, in the United States. Chinese factories, just like American factories 80 years ago, are capable of turning out products of whatever quality level people are willing to pay for. I can't speak for Huawei, but Apple builds nearly all its equipment in China and their quality these days is pretty good. On the other hand, there's no shortage of poorly-made Chinese stuff out there either.

Quality in a global market is more about WHO makes it than WHERE they make it. At the same time VWs built in Mexico sit near the bottom of reliability ratings (right alongside the same models built in Germany), Ford has won quality awards for a couple of its Mexican-built vehicles.

As to the OP's question, there's been quite a bit of speculation that Google is either selling N4s at cost or actually losing money on them, so it'd be nearly impossible to find a device that competes on price and specs.

phstrat

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Kia, being a Korean company, makes its cars in either South Korea just like N4s, or, more commonly these days, in the United States. Chinese factories, just like American factories 80 years ago, are capable of turning out products of whatever quality level people are willing to pay for. I can't speak for Huawei, but Apple builds nearly all its equipment in China and their quality these days is pretty good. On the other hand, there's no shortage of poorly-made Chinese stuff out there either.

Quality in a global market is more about WHO makes it than WHERE they make it. At the same time VWs built in Mexico sit near the bottom of reliability ratings (right alongside the same models built in Germany), Ford has won quality awards for a couple of its Mexican-built vehicles.

As to the OP's question, there's been quite a bit of speculation that Google is either selling N4s at cost or actually losing money on them, so it'd be nearly impossible to find a device that competes on price and specs.

The N4 doesn't benchmark very well on some things...like SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark
SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark
a very high 1800 (confirmation appriciated)...my single core 1.4GHz snapdragon scorpion Huawei Merc does 2100...Apple 5 is 900..
The Huawei Glory II would prolly smoke the N4 spec-wise on a hardware level...Huawei isn't some fly by night tech company...they are the leading telecom company in China and actually make their own SOC integrated circuits as well as state of the art cellular networking infrastructure..but for the most part they are feared and scorned by Americian's...just look at the comments on any press release on Engadget regarding Huawei devices...damn commies :)
plus the Glory II would be a much sturdier phone that one wouldn't have to constantly worry about breaking via a 3 foot drop to the hard concrete...

phstrat

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
So get the Huawei and migrate over to that forum. I think everyone in here prefers the N4.

That's not very nice now is it? I'm not here to discredit the N4, just throw out some potential debating point...you seem to have a nasty side to you...life is to short buddy...

SOLGarion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
If they are at cost or near cost for the 8gb then they are at least turning a profit on the 16gb. 50 dollar upgrade for 1.50 more expensive chip. Hell a sandisk 64 GB micro SD card is only 41 dollars on amazon and that is with a profit for sandisk and the seller. Never understood the price increases for more memory. 50-100 extra dollars for 3 bucks cost in memory.

You want to know the real reason there is no SD card slot in the N4? Have a 300 dollar phone at cost with a more desirable phone sold at a profit. Genius.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
If it's not a Nexus device its not going to give the Nexus 4 a run for its money.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Also a big reason why the benchmarks are inaccurate in comparison to actually using the phone is because they aren't optimized for 4.2 yet.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I really want the Nexus 4 however the two biggies that are holding me back are,
1) The extreme fragileness of the Nexus...seems very easy to crack the glass with just a small drop...
2) Lack of sd card

My limited research has lead me to one phone that is compatible both price and spec-wise to the Nexus 4...
and of course it's from CHINA:

Huawei U9508 Honor Glory II Quad-Core 1.4GHz 4.5 inch IPS Retinal Screen 2G RAM Android 4.0 ICS 8.0MP Gorilla Glass
Huawei U9508 Honor Glory II Quad-Core 1.4GHz 4.5 inch IPS Retinal Screen 2G RAM Android 4.0 ICS 8.0MP

I found this phone as low as $345.00
Huawei U9508 Honor2- K3V2 Quad Core 1.4Ghz 2G Ram 4.5 inch 1280*720 IPS Screen Android 4.0.4 Phone - $345.00

It's basically a Huawei Ascend D1 with 2G Ram and a slightly different form factor...and has only been available for only a couple of weeks.
It come with ICS 4.0.4 and an micro sc card slot to 32GB and has WCDMA 850/900/1700/1900/2100MHz

Con's:
1) Won't see nearly the support from the Dev community for custom Roms and such
2) Will it have a good selection of accessories like cases, screen protectors?

I currently have the Huawei Mercury and it's a tough little phone that can handle some abuse so hopefully Glory II will as well.

What are your thoughts on this phone?
Are there any other smartphones that can compete with the Nexus 4 at it's price point?

why not just get a subsidized phone on a carrier then? is prepaid your only option? do you need a phone that can be used anywhere in the world (gsm)?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
That's not very nice now is it? I'm not here to discredit the N4, just throw out some potential debating point...you seem to have a nasty side to you...life is to short buddy...

I don't mean to sound nasty...just direct. If you don't like something on the N4, why start a thread about about it? If strangers here tell you that you've lost your mind and you should buy the N4, would you do it? I doubt it. There are a lot of great devices out there and we all have different things we're looking for. So if you're looking for something other than what the N4 has, buy that and be happy. You are exactly right..."life is to short." Why waste it focusing on things you don't like? Ge the Huawei and you wont have to worry about breaking the glass back of the N4. The only thing I see that you'll be missing are the instant updates of whatever the latest OS happens to be. If that's not important to you, don't get this phone.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If they are at cost or near cost for the 8gb then they are at least turning a profit on the 16gb. 50 dollar upgrade for 1.50 more expensive chip. Hell a sandisk 64 GB micro SD card is only 41 dollars on amazon and that is with a profit for sandisk and the seller. Never understood the price increases for more memory. 50-100 extra dollars for 3 bucks cost in memory.

You want to know the real reason there is no SD card slot in the N4? Have a 300 dollar phone at cost with a more desirable phone sold at a profit. Genius.

you just read my mind, sir. although i don't think any of the nexus devices have sd cards, do they? google said something about not including them, forgot what they said

phstrat

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Also a big reason why the benchmarks are inaccurate in comparison to actually using the phone is because they aren't optimized for 4.2 yet.

good point...I still want the N4 very badly...but ima wait awhile till there are better cases and cheap screen protectors...plus they're having to produce them at such a high rate right now that there is the potential for quality control issues...ima wait till the smoke clears a little before deciding...

phstrat

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean to sound nasty...just direct. If you don't like something on the N4, why start a thread about about it? If strangers here tell you that you've lost your mind and you should buy the N4, would you do it? I doubt it. There are a lot of great devices out there and we all have different things we're looking for. So if you're looking for something other than what the N4 has, buy that and be happy. You are exactly right..."life is to short." Why waste it focusing on things you don't like? Ge the Huawei and you wont have to worry about breaking the glass back of the N4. The only thing I see that you'll be missing are the instant updates of whatever the latest OS happens to be. If that's not important to you, don't get this phone.

the Huawei forum is dead...why post there...the N4 is something I'm interested in..maybe by posting here in a more popular forum people can see a device that is comparable to the N4 as a possible option....do you have a problem with that? I'm not saying you should buy the Huawei over the Nexus, just posting possible alternatives...which if I was a visitor to this forum I might find interesting and want to research the device...I never said I didn't like the N4, that is something you assumed...you seem to want nothing but fanboi posts...which is shallow and sad...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The N4 doesn't benchmark very well on some things...like SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark
SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark
a very high 1800 (confirmation appriciated)...my single core 1.4GHz snapdragon scorpion Huawei Merc does 2100...Apple 5 is 900..
The Huawei Glory II would prolly smoke the N4 spec-wise on a hardware level...Huawei isn't some fly by night tech company...they are the leading telecom company in China and actually make their own SOC integrated circuits as well as state of the art cellular networking infrastructure..but for the most part they are feared and scorned by Americian's...just look at the comments on any press release on Engadget regarding Huawei devices...damn commies :)
plus the Glory II would be a much sturdier phone that one wouldn't have to constantly worry about breaking via a 3 foot drop to the hard concrete...

Lulz.

Benchmarks.

How is this even being debated?