A long time to charge from the included charger

Tacoman667

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I have had my phone 2 days now and each night I charged them. The first night it went on the charger at 17%, and 7 hours later it was at 99%. Last night I burned the battery all the way down to reset it. I put it on the charger and it was on there for about 10 hours give or take 30 minutes. This morning it was at 98%. I plugged the charger back in and left it another 30 minutes or so and it finally said "Charged". Last night it was off while charging; the first night it was left on.

Has anyone else experienced this? After the 3rd charge (this morning for an additional 30 minutes after unplugging it at 98%) I saw "Charged" for the first time on this phone. After about 10 minutes of use it was already down to 98%.

bilago

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I have had my phone 2 days now and each night I charged them. The first night it went on the charger at 17%, and 7 hours later it was at 99%. Last night I burned the battery all the way down to reset it. I put it on the charger and it was on there for about 10 hours give or take 30 minutes. This morning it was at 98%. I plugged the charger back in and left it another 30 minutes or so and it finally said "Charged". Last night it was off while charging; the first night it was left on.

Has anyone else experienced this? After the 3rd charge (this morning for an additional 30 minutes after unplugging it at 98%) I saw "Charged" for the first time on this phone. After about 10 minutes of use it was already down to 98%.

I don't have mine yet... What is the rated output of the charger?

Tacoman667

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Sufficient.. Yes... but you have to remember this is a high capacity battery, so if the rated output is low, it can take a long time.

Agreed but others have posted that theirs fully charges in fewer hours then my 10+. I understand about waiting a few weeks but I do not remember this kind of issue when I got my 2 Nexus S's last year (brand new).

bilago

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Agreed but others have posted that theirs fully charges in fewer hours then my 10+. I understand about waiting a few weeks but I do not remember this kind of issue when I got my 2 Nexus S's last year (brand new).
Well what you can try, in the meantime is a different wall charger, find one that closest represents the Nexus 4 one. Just ensure the Voltage output is not higher (Amperage is fine). If that works better than you might just have a fubar charger.

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Something isn't right, can you try another charger? Or just plug it into your computer and charge it that way? Plugged into the wall mine takes no more than 3 hours to go from below 20% to fully charged. On usb it depends on the computer it's plugged into, on my machine with an Asus motherboard equipped with Ai charger it takes the same roughly 3 hours max, on my wife's PC it takes about 4-5 hours.

Tacoman667

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok, specs on my "Travel Charger" from the N4 box:

Model: MCS-01WR
Input: 100-240V~50/60Hz 0.2A(0,2A)
Output: 5.0V = 1.2A(5,0V = 1,2A)

My phone dropped to 93% in 30 minutes so I threw it up on my Seidio Desktop Charger for Samsung Devices (Model: CRDSISSX1) and it charged to full in 10 minutes or so. Are these chargers underrated for the phones they are packaged with??

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
It depends what you put it in. If it goes into a power supply with other things plugged in, the power will be shared. Plug it into a wall by itself and take a look....

Tacoman667

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
It depends what you put it in. If it goes into a power supply with other things plugged in, the power will be shared. Plug it into a wall by itself and take a look....

Mine is plugged directly into the wall. Only other thing plugged into the wall with it is my alarm clock. My iPhones always charged speedily on the same.

bilago

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
5.15V = 1A

Its the charger that came with my Logitech Darkfield Mouse. :)

I'm no electronic engineer, but I would stay away from using anything with higher voltage to charge a battery.... Now it's only .15v higher, so I can't say for certain if that's a wise choice.

Either way, if it has a lower Amperage but charges faster than the travel charger, then there must be something wrong with your Nexus 4 Charger.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Page 5 of this document http://static.googleusercontent.com...s/android/android_ug_42/Nexus-4-Guidebook.pdf indicates that the N4 ships with a 5Volt, 2Amp charger. However, like the OP's, mine came with a 1.2Amp charger.

I don't know if this is a charging issue exactly, or simply the difference between when the device recognizes the difference between 99% and 100% of charge. I would like the OP to tell us what state of charge exists after 1 hour of plug time, 2 hours of plug time, etc.

Tacoman667

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Page 5 of this document http://static.googleusercontent.com...s/android/android_ug_42/Nexus-4-Guidebook.pdf indicates that the N4 ships with a 5Volt, 2Amp charger. However, like the OP's, mine came with a 1.2Amp charger.

I don't know if this is a charging issue exactly, or simply the difference between when the device recognizes the difference between 99% and 100% of charge. I would like the OP to tell us what state of charge exists after 1 hour of plug time, 2 hours of plug time, etc.

I will see if I can remember but I am usually asleep while it charges. :)

That pdf is BS because my charger says 1.2A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol