The "I've requested a replacement Nexus 4" thread...

javierlp

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Since I just ordered a replacement N4 (earpice crackling sound and battery issues) I though that others that have too can share their experience.

Why did you order a replacement?

Did you received the replacement?

How long did it take?

Did the replacement N4 have other issues?

How would you rate the process?

Etc..

gomab357

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Why did you order a replacement? Earpiece distortion at medium to high volume levels.

Did you received the replacement? Still shows as pending in the Play Store. Paid for the replacement Friday morning.

How long did it take? N/A, but hopefully by the middle of the week (which I doubt).

Did the replacement N4 have other issues? Nope.

How would you rate the process? Not good. I don't understand why I have to shell out another $350 (even though it is only an authorization hold) for a replacement...but that is my personal opinion.

six8

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Replacement for bad spot on the screen. Received my new phone a week after I ordered it. New phone is great, no issues. Also noticed once I received my replacement that the speaker in my original n4 was bad.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
How would you rate the process? Not good. I don't understand why I have to shell out another $350 (even though it is only an authorization hold) for a replacement...but that is my personal opinion.
Would you prefer having to send them your phone first and then wait for the replacement to arrive? This way, you're not phoneless during the interim and they're protected from people scamming them. "Oh, you say your phone is bad? Well, let's send you a new one. Don't forget to send the bad one back, OK? Thanks!" Not. Gonna. Happen.

That said, keep the shipping receipt and email notices from UPS. When I had to exchange my defective Nexus 7, they sent me a new one with the usual charge hold and emailed me a RMA shipper for UPS. When I dropped it off at the UPS store I got a drop-off receipt; when it was delivered on July 27, I received a tracking update email and figured it was done with. Then I get an email from Google on Sept. 13:

This is a courtesy reminder to follow up on the return status of your original Nexus 7. It has been over 21 days and our service center has not yet received your original device. Please initiate the return of your original device within 7 days to avoid incurring additional charges for the full price of your advance warranty replacement.

Well, on the up side, they'd let it slide for nearly two months before nudging me, asking, "Hey, ya think you could, you know, send us that thing, please?" So I replied:

"Below is the delivery confirmation I received July 27, 2012 for the return of my defective Nexus 7:

Tracking Number: 1Z**************
Delivery Date / Time: 27-July-2012 / 11:44 AM
Delivery Location: DOCK
Signed by: HILL

Whatcha gotta say to that now, Goog?!

Thanks for providing us with the tracking number on the proof of the return. You can now disregard the last email as we can see you returned it. You will not be charged anything extra for the replacement.

Your damn right I won't be charged, yo! Yeesh.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why I have to shell out another $350 (even though it is only an authorization hold) for a replacement...but that is my personal opinion.

Word of advise, don't ever even think of going into business for yourself because you'll wind up broke.

You're not shelling out $350, it's put on hold just in case you don't return the defective device and decide to "keep" the new device. It's insurance on Google's end so they don't wind up getting ripped off by the customer. Unlike you, not many are on the "honor system." I'm sure they explained this to you when you made your return so it should not come as a surprise to you.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Word of advise, don't ever even think of going into business for yourself because you'll wind up broke.

You're not shelling out $350, it's put on hold just in case you don't return the defective device and decide to "keep" the new device. It's insurance on Google's end so they don't wind up getting ripped off by the customer. Unlike you, not many are on the "honor system." I'm sure they explained this to you when you made your return so it should not come as a surprise to you.

Although I agree with some of what you said, there's no NEED to put a full AUTH on people's cards. They have all your info already. Everything including your card number (s). So it's not NECESSARY to bug people for on the spot AUTHs.

As long as Google alerts you, in writing as well, that if you don't return the defective one in 21 days then you will be charged and you agree, that's more than enough to ship the replacement out without ticking people's card for $299-349.

Tons of other companies deal with RMAs and don't tick your card with AUTHs. Let's use a direct competitor with the same products: Amazon with their Kindles including Kindle Fires:

They do NOT put AUTHs on your card when you do an Advanced Warranty Replacement! They ship the replacement out without asking you for any money or AUTH! They DO let you know that if you don't return the defective one, you will be charged in full. Guess what? Amazon isn't getting scammed with people keeping the devices! And nor would Google! :rolleyes:

Google needs to do away with this unnecessary and disruptive practice. Don't treat your already paid customers like criminals looking to run off with a defective device when you already have all their information to charge then God forbid one out of a million does. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 7

ChewieD2

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a replacement because of ear piece distortion and my second phone arrived with worse distortion! (it wasn't a new phone either by the looks of the repackaged box, probably a refurb) Not only that i didn't receive a return delivery slip so i'm waiting on them to get it to me so i now have two phones with the same problem and i'm unsure how to proceed because as you know they put a hold on funds in your account until they get back the faulty handset so i potentially could end up with nearly ?600 funds on hold (which i don't have because its so close to xmas!) I'm in a bit of a quandary! Although i will say so far apart from the failed return delivery slip i have been very impressed with google and them helping with my requests

gomab357

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a replacement because of ear piece distortion and my second phone arrived with worse distortion! (it wasn't a new phone either by the looks of the repackaged box, probably a refurb) Not only that i didn't receive a return delivery slip so i'm waiting on them to get it to me so i now have two phones with the same problem and i'm unsure how to proceed because as you know they put a hold on funds in your account until they get back the faulty handset so i potentially could end up with nearly ?600 funds on hold (which i don't have because its so close to xmas!) I'm in a bit of a quandary! Although i will say so far apart from the failed return delivery slip i have been very impressed with google and them helping with my requests

How long did it take for you to receive your replacement?

On a side note, I was emailed a return shipping label from Google. You may want to check your spam box, etc.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Why did you order a replacement? Muffled microphone; rapidly declining battery life that started mediocre and got terrible within 3 days. (Had it only 6 days so far.) After 3+ weeks, battery life is merely mediocre; about 10 hours with moderate use, 1-2 hours screen time.

Did you received the replacement? Yes.

How long did it take? To deal with Google, 5 minutes. Delivery: 17 days, shipped overnight on day 16.

Did the replacement N4 have other issues? New screen has definite yellow cast to it compared to old one. Gamma seems a tad better, but still not as good as my computer monitor.

How would you rate the process? Ordering extremely easy, no hassles.

Last edited:

ChewieD2

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
How long did it take for you to receive your replacement?

On a side note, I was emailed a return shipping label from Google. You may want to check your spam box, etc.

Yeah i received a return label to put into the box via email but i was suposed to receive a sticker for the outside package with the replacement phone. I got the phone but not the return sticker if that makes sense. And i received the new device in about a week, i was impressed with the speed of it but i guess just unlucky that the replacement has same issue

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i received a return label to put into the box via email but i was suposed to receive a sticker for the outside package with the replacement phone. I got the phone but not the return sticker if that makes sense.
That label WAS the shipping label. On the bottom half of the sheet - I'm printing mine now, so I'm looking at it and did this with my N7 return - it says:

? Fold the printed label at the solid line below. Place the label in a UPS Shipping Pouch. If you do not have a pouch, affix the folded label using clear plastic shipping tape over the entire label. Take care not to cover any seams or closures.

Detroit_vr

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
That label WAS the shipping label. On the bottom half of the sheet - I'm printing mine now, so I'm looking at it and did this with my N7 return - it says:

? Fold the printed label at the solid line below. Place the label in a UPS Shipping Pouch. If you do not have a pouch, affix the folded label using clear plastic shipping tape over the entire label. Take care not to cover any seams or closures.

The shipping label comes from "Google Returns", with a subject of "Google Product Returns".
The packing slip comes as an attachment to the email from "googleplay-support", with a subject of "re [5-000000000] Phone Call Follow-up", and a body that starts with "Hello YourName, Thank you for contacting google"

Tinmania

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Although I agree with some of what you said, there's no NEED to put a full AUTH on people's cards. They have all your info already. Everything including your card number (s). So it's not NECESSARY to bug people for on the spot AUTHs.
Come on now, that is kind of naive.

It's quite possible for people to:
1.) Be near their CC limit.
2.) Use a debit card for Google play and not have enough money to cover $350.
3.) Close the CC account before google has a chance to charge it.

By mandating a CC pre-authorization they can (mostly) prevent that from occurring.

Michael

Weishaupt

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Why did you order a replacement?
Really annoying sounds out of the earpeace, even if there is no phonecall. Even for such a "cheap" device, that is not okay. I don't even hear a hint of any crackling on my tri-band Nokia 3600s

Did you received the replacement?
No, I just recieved my original N4 today. The Google Play Service told me, that I would recieve an e-mail in which I should request the replacement.

How long did it take?
The phone call about 10 Minutes. I didn't had to wait a single minute to get through.

Did the replacement N4 have other issues?
I hope not.

How would you rate the process?
Lets see, when its done with.

duraeas

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Why did you order a replacement? There's a small bright spot in the middle of the screen that shows up when the phone is held at any sort of angle (on anything but a dark background), like a dead pixel.

Did you received the replacement? Yes.

How long did it take? Ordered it Monday, shipped Tuesday, arrived this Monday.

Did the replacement N4 have other issues? Yup. Aside from a yellow tint/vertical banding that I wouldn't have returned it for, it had dust under the screen.

How would you rate the process? Great. Google's customer support is some of the best I've seen. I don't understand why anyone objects to the CC auth, as the alternative would be to leave you without a phone while they inspect it.

Wonder how long it will be until this one ships.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I destroyed my Nexus 4 about 4 days after getting it. Took it out my pocket too fast (damn thing is slippery) slipped out my hand, landed right on the front glass. Not a pretty sight..and everyone around me at the moment took a couple steps back because I reckon they could feel the wave of murderous intent boiling inside me (I really wanted to kill someone, despite it being 100% my fault haha). I was not happy at all.

Either way, went to Tmobile, they told me to contact Asurion. Did all that. Took about two weeks, but my new N4 will arrive Friday 12/7. Whole process was frustrating abit but I only had to pay $130. Hopefully this phone has no troubles because I can't stand to be away from it for too long. After using it flawlessly for 4 days, not having it for 2 weeks was frustrating. What would be worse though is if this new one I get is defective in some way. The one Tmobile sold me had no problems, dont wanna get a new phone and have problems with it then have to go through this whole process again.

javierlp

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Got my packaging slip last night, but no shipping confirmation on my replacement.

I ain't sending anything back until I get my replacement.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03