Two Microphones... Has anyone noticed this?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at my N4 last night and noticed along the top edge the audio out jack on the left (of course) and a small hole on the right. Hmmm, I thought, what is that for?

Well, it appears that it is a second microphone - Nexus 4 hardware - Nexus Help

The only purpose I can think of would be for stereo audio input when shooting video. Any other explanation?

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It had been mentioned when it was introduced. Not widely, but I was aware of it.

Is anyone else getting complaints from people they're talking to that they sound muffled? My g/f misunderstood me because she said I sounded muffled and the playback of my outgoing Google Voice message sounds pretty muddy.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I was looking at my N4 last night and noticed along the top edge the audio out jack on the left (of course) and a small hole on the right. Hmmm, I thought, what is that for?

Well, it appears that it is a second microphone - Nexus 4 hardware - Nexus Help

The only purpose I can think of would be for stereo audio input when shooting video. Any other explanation?

This was actually a huge deal when the Nexus One came out 2 years ago. It's a common feature for phones today, though.

csloomis

May 4, 2010
Visit site
A lot of non tech people don't realize that this is a common feature on new phones. I think that is why Apple's newest iPhone commercial shows off it's noise cancelling system, to try and convince people that they have something special that others don't. Even though it is not a unique feature.

kenatsun

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing one is the regular mic and the other one is for when you're in speaker-phone mode. I speculate this because I (and others) have a problem where the mic is dead unless one is phoning in speaker-phone mode (for example, see The other party on a call can't hear me - unless I turn on the speaker !?? and http://forums.androidcentral.com/an...ing-normal-mode-but-working-speaker-mode.html). Also, the best N4 "takedown" video I've come across (https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Disass...ex+Mainboard+Headphone+Jack+Screen+etc./12189) points out a "secondary mic" as he is disassembling the phone.