Nexus 4 not display the IMEI

alongol

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I bought the nexus 4 from carphone warehouse in uk.

the phone is SIMFREE, but not recognize the cellular network.

also, i cant see the IMEI code:
nqpp93.jpg

2z7h5hf.jpg

why i cant see the IMEI code?
(on the box i have the IMEI code)

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
That does seem odd.

What happens if you go to Menu -> Settings -> About Phone -> Status? Scroll down to IMEI; is it there?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. Call Google Support?

I was only able to find a US number, 1-855-836-3987; I suppose there must be a UK number as well.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have also learned that dialing *#06# should display the IMEI in a pop up box.

And (I just checked my own N4), the IMEI should be etched on the bottom of the SIM card tray. Pop it out, turn it over, and look for a number which begins with "IMEI "

Seems a bit odd, if you think about it. What is the point? Suppose you lose your SIM card tray and need a replacement?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My final comment:

From my research just now, a (modern) phone which will not display its IMEI number is broken, trashed, bricked, whatever. If you rooted the phone or installed a non-factory rom, try restoring the original factory image and see if that resolves the matter.

If not, call your supplier and demand a replacement phone.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
The IMEI is on the back of the phone (or at least the clear cling protecting the back). It's also printed on the box the phone comes in.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The IMEI is on the back of the phone (or at least the clear cling protecting the back). It's also printed on the box the phone comes in.

Yes, I think that is understood. The question is, what is wrong with his phone that it will not display this information internally? From everything I have been able to find on this subject, the indication is that something is seriously wrong with the device...

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I think that is understood. The question is, what is wrong with his phone that it will not display this information internally? From everything I have been able to find on this subject, the indication is that something is seriously wrong with the device...

I'm not 100% certain, but I -think- mine didn't show an IMEI until I put the SIM in it. Once I put one in it was in there.

I don't see in the OP's posts if he has ever inserted a SIM in the phone or not.

alongol

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My final comment:

From my research just now, a (modern) phone which will not display its IMEI number is broken, trashed, bricked, whatever. If you rooted the phone or installed a non-factory rom, try restoring the original factory image and see if that resolves the matter.

i cant replacmet the phone because i left uk.
and i didnt change anything on the phone.

alongol

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not 100% certain, but I -think- mine didn't show an IMEI until I put the SIM in it. Once I put one in it was in there.

I don't see in the OP's posts if he has ever inserted a SIM in the phone or not.

I tried to put 5 different sims on the phone.
the IMEI still blank

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you can try restoring the factory image anyway? Someone else will have to tell you how to do that or you can search the forum.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
was there an IMEI id at the back of the device when you received the device. it will be on the back screen protector.

It is also etched on the bottom of the SIM card tray. But, I am sure that is not the issue; almost by definition, it seems there must be something wrong with a phone which cannot display its own IMEI number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34