so do N4s which have the earpiece buzz also have the rattle?

smileman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
mine has both (Google kindly has sent a replacement N4 for the rattle) so wondering if these defects run together, or (and this seems like a long shot) these two issues might be related?

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I forgot where I read it but there was a thread where a number of people confirmed their phones made the rattle noise and brushed it off as normal...

So Google is really replacing phones that have a rattle?

Well, good to know if that's the case... cause I don't think any rattle should be considered normal and hope mine does not when I receive it.

Basscase

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Mine has the rattle, but no buzz. By the way...The rattle is miniscule. Supposedly a camera element or something.

No biggy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Mine has the rattle, but no buzz. By the way...The rattle is miniscule. Supposedly a camera element or something.

No biggy.

My iPhone 5 has a slight rattle that mostly everyone has. It has to do with the camera and there's no way I would return it risking receiving a truly defective device. I do notice a slight rattle now that it's been brought to my attention but there's no chance in h3ll I'm gonna return it for this non issue. If you look for problems you'll find problems, sometimes ignorance is truly bliss.

palitsyn

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
The rattle is the auto-focus. It's normal and is not an issue. Here is how it can be proved that the rattle is in fact the auto-focus. Turn the camera on and start tapping the top of the phone. You will hear the rattle. Now focus on something really close and keep tapping. The rattle will go away.

If you call google and your rep acknowledges this as an issue, then he/she doesn't have a clue. You are basically returning a perfectly fine device. Then google send you another, whilst some of the so many annoyed people still waiting for their phones to be shipped, will have to wait longer ;)

p.s. I bought mine in store, so the above isn't for my benefit :)

Last edited:

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So smartphones have true mechanical autofocus cameras? I don't know much about the cameras in smartphones but didnt think they actually had any moving parts and especially in the camera lens... i just thought that autofocus was software generated.

The rattle is the auto-focus. It's normal and is not an issue. Here is how it can be proved that the rattle is in fact the auto-focus. Turn the camera on and start tapping the top of the phone. You will hear the rattle. Now focus on something really close and keep tapping. The rattle will go away.

If you call google and your rep acknowledges this as an issue, then he/she doesn't have a clue. You are basically returning a perfectly fine device. Then google send you another, whilst some of the so many annoyed people still waiting for their phones to be shipped, will have to wait longer ;)

p.s. I bought mine in store, so the above isn't for my benefit :)

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

No biggy.

Mine has the rattle. At first, I thought it was the haptic feedback, but I wasn't sure, so I did a quick Google search. I discovered that this is a recognized defect that people have gotten warranty exchanges for.

It is a biggy for something I paid a crap load of money for!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

palitsyn

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
So smartphones have true mechanical autofocus cameras? I don't know much about the cameras in smartphones but didnt think they actually had any moving parts and especially in the camera lens... i just thought that autofocus was software generated.

Of course :)

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Mine has the rattle. At first, I thought it was the haptic feedback, but I wasn't sure, so I did a quick Google search. I discovered that this is a recognized defect that people have gotten warranty exchanges for.

I don't know if I have the earpiece buzz. What does it sound like?

palitsyn

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

And here we go again. IT IS NOT A DEFECT!!! Just because it is recognised by some in the community doesn't make it a defect. Read above. It's the auto focus. If someone at google or lg says it's a defect, they have no idea what they are talking about. You guys are wasting perfectly good products!!!

By the way, iPhone 4, 4s and 5 have the same rattle. ALL OF THEM have it. So will the Nexus 4s.

smileman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

As i mentioned in an earlier thread, a) Google says this is a known issue covered under warranty and b) Google had set aside a separate stock of N4s for warranty issues.

Given the backlog, whether or not Google should do that is debatable I suppose, but I was happy to get my replacement in two days so this is probably smart customer service on their part.

smileman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
And here we go again. IT IS NOT A DEFECT!!! Just because it is recognised by some in the community doesn't make it a defect. Read above. It's the auto focus. If someone at google or lg says it's a defect, they have no idea what they are talking about. You guys are wasting perfectly good products!!!

By the way, iPhone 4, 4s and 5 have the same rattle. ALL OF THEM have it. So will the Nexus 4s.

Then why don't all N4s have the rattle?

All other things being equal, why wouldn't someone prefer to have one that doesn't rattle?

palitsyn

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
As i mentioned in an earlier thread, a) Google says this is a known issue covered under warranty and b) Google had set aside a separate stock of N4s for warranty issues.

Given the backlog, whether or not Google should do that is debatable I suppose, but I was happy to get my replacement in two days so this is probably smart customer service on their part.

Where does it say, that it is an acknowledged issue?

palitsyn

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Then why don't all N4s have the rattle?

All other things being equal, why wouldn't someone prefer to have one that doesn't rattle?

Lets see if your new one has the rattle :)

The same thing was happening with iPhones (4, 4s and now 5). Some people would say they don't have it, and some would say they do. People were exchanging their 4's until they actually realised that they all had it. The difference is, that some people wouldn't pay attention to it, and others would tap and shake their phones like morons all day long and no wonder they found it irritating.

smileman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Lets see if your new one has the rattle :)

The same thing was happening with iPhones (4, 4s and now 5). Some people would say they don't have it, and some would say they do. People were exchanging their 4's until they actually realised that they all had it. The difference is, that some people wouldn't pay attention to it, and others would tap and shake their phones like morons all day long and no wonder they found it irritating.

There are reports all over this forum of N4s with no rattle. In fact my unscientific impression is that the rattle is a minority issue.

palitsyn

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Google customer service rep said so.

Yep, and apple reps accepted returns due to the same "issue", but it's due to their luck of knowledge. In the end, all iPhones had it and still do.

There are reports all over this forum of N4s with no rattle. In fact my unscientific impression is that the rattle is a minority issue.

Yes, there are, but it doesn't make it an issue. You might say it's there by design....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae