Capacitive Buttons getting "stuck"

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
My roommate has had his N4 for a little more than a week now. The day he got it he was playing with it and the back capacitive button got stuck some how, basically it would keep doing the recognition when you hit the back, home or recent apps buttons even when he never hit it in the first place. Is anyone else having this problem with their phone or have any info on this?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Sounds an awful lot like a software conflict.

1) What sort of apps has he loaded?

2) In most apps, when you rotate the device into landscape mode, the on screen buttons move as well. So, for example, in the default Messaging app, in portrait mode the Back, Home, and Recent Apps buttons are at the physical bottom of the screen whereas in landscape mode they move to the physical top (right edge in landscape) of the screen. If the problem persists in both portrait and landscape view, I would call that a likely software conflict as opposed to a hardware defect.

MrSherms

Great Googley Moogley!
May 4, 2012
Visit site
The N4 doesn't have capacitive buttons like, say, the HTC One X. It is all screen.

Are you sure he doesn't have a different phone, or perhaps there is an issue with an app?

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure he has the Nexus 4?

yes he has the nexus 4.

The N4 doesn't have capacitive buttons like, say, the HTC One X. It is all screen.

Are you sure he doesn't have a different phone, or perhaps there is an issue with an app?

when you look at capacitive screens vs resistive screen, id say it is capacitive. obviously it uses software like it isnt a physical button.

but yes, it is a nexus 4

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree - the Nexus 4 uses a capacitive touch screen.

What about my question concerning portrait vs. landscape mode?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
update: i talked to my roommate and he said that he doesnt use the rotate feature, and it happens right at the homescreen, even after all apps are killed.

1) Tell him to enable screen rotation and perform the test as above.

2a) Turn phone on, then initiate Power Off (hold power button for several seconds; when pop up menu appears select Power Off
2b) Power back up (hold power button for several seconds until phone vibrates briefly then release button).
2c) Does the problem persist?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind that the Power Off / Power On routine (essentially, rebooting the phone) described earlier can often resolve these anomalies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz