T Mobile 3G/4G signal indicator.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Here is what mine does as others have pointed out. When its using data its on H. On standby it shows 3g. This through T-Mobile

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

It should show 3G / UMTS on standby, it doesn't make use of the relatively power hungry HSUPA in order to save battery when it isn't needed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Well, while there is a lot of technical debate about what can and cannot be considered 4G, and a great deal saying that no variants of HSPA can be considered 4G simply based on the technology it is based on, it is common for carriers and manufacturers to refer to HSPA+ as 4G (distinguished from LTE with the label '4G LTE') because of the data speeds it offers. T-mobile does not yet have an active LTE network, and T-mobile's SGS 3 phones are all HSPA+ 42 compliant, and on T-mobile's SGS 3 phones, HSPA networks show up as "4G."

AT&T also refers to it's HSPA network as 4G, and others have referred to 1.4 MHz LTE deployments as 4G, even though they are in the ballpark of a EVDO or UMTS level performance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, while there is a lot of technical debate about what can and cannot be considered 4G, and a great deal saying that no variants of HSPA can be considered 4G simply based on the technology it is based on, it is common for carriers and manufacturers to refer to HSPA+ as 4G (distinguished from LTE with the label '4G LTE') because of the data speeds it offers. T-mobile does not yet have an active LTE network, and T-mobile's SGS 3 phones are all HSPA+ 42 compliant, and on T-mobile's SGS 3 phones, HSPA networks show up as "4G."

My post was generally based on how the signal indicator works on the Nexus devices. There was a screenshot of the Nexus 4 showing "4G" on an AWS LTE network in Canada with the modified radio settings (which be pulled in an update).

A lot of phones running T-Mobile's custom firmware (meaning non-Nexus devices) have the following signal indicators, at least for right now:
G = GPRS
2G = EDGE
4G = all HSPA variants
Haven't seen 3G show up on devices with T-Mobile's custom firmware, but it would indicate plain UMTS/WCDMA.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
AT&T also refers to it's HSPA network as 4G, and others have referred to 1.4 MHz LTE deployments as 4G, even though they are in the ballpark of a EVDO or UMTS level performance.

Indeed. AT&T actually modified the iPhone 4S's signal indicator to read "4G" with the iOS 5.1 update because it was capable of connecting to their HSPA+ (14.4) network, although most would consider that 3G still (and everyone else's version of the 4S still indicated 3G).

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Indeed. AT&T actually modified the iPhone 4S's signal indicator to read "4G" with the iOS 5.1 update because it was capable of connecting to their HSPA+ (14.4) network, although most would consider that 3G still (and everyone else's version of the 4S still indicated 3G).

T-Mobile originally called Category 10 devices "4G" too, and I am not sure but I think they dropped that meaning. I think HSPA+42 at least should get the label if Sprint's LTE deployment does, but any number of arguments would work.

I sort of like that they just call it what it is (HSPA being called HSPA, LTE called LTE and so on) rather than class a whole set of technologies as one thing or another, so I like the little H indicator, though that's personal preference.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
That's because sprint IS using lte but on a different frequency than att n vzw

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
That's because sprint IS using lte but on a different frequency than att n vzw

It's using LTE in a 5 MHz 2x2 setup, compared to the 10 MHz 2x2 that Verizon is using and the mostly-10 MHz 2x2 that AT&T is using.

Tmobile is using two bonded 5 MHz channels of HSPA in a siso setup, which is probably comparable or even a little faster than sprint's LTE.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
This is what I get on a BAD DAY LOL and FYI sprint lte isn't tryin to compete with att and vzw on speed but is more reliable

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354980032801.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354980032801.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 25

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
This is what I get on a BAD DAY LOL and FYI sprint lte isn't tryin to compete with att and vzw on speed but is more reliable

Reliable in what way? Right now Sprint LTE is not the pinnacle of reliability and it shouldn't be yet, they're still bringing the network up. Conditions are still spotty in a lot of the cities where there is actually an LTE deployment, some days there's LTE on one street corner and the next day it's not there at all. That's not to say it won't eventually be solid, but the LTE side of the network is quite scarce at the moment and reporting has been that it is fairly unstable in terms of when and where signal is received. (as per the chatter on S4GRU).

Sprint by way of the wide amount of spectrum they control through Clear might eventually be the fastest carrier, actually, but that is some time out. As it stands now, if you want to compare T-Mobile HSPA+42 with Sprint LTE under equal loading, they should perform about the same. 10 MHz SISO vs 5 MHz MIMO, both optimally 64 QAM.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Reliable in what way? Right now Sprint LTE is not the pinnacle of reliability and it shouldn't be yet, they're still bringing the network up. Conditions are still spotty in a lot of the cities where there is actually an LTE deployment, some days there's LTE on one street corner and the next day it's not there at all. That's not to say it won't eventually be solid, but the LTE side of the network is quite scarce at the moment and reporting has been that it is fairly unstable in terms of when and where signal is received. (as per the chatter on S4GRU).

Sprint by way of the wide amount of spectrum they control through Clear might eventually be the fastest carrier, actually, but that is some time out. As it stands now, if you want to compare T-Mobile HSPA+42 with Sprint LTE under equal loading, they should perform about the same. 10 MHz SISO vs 5 MHz MIMO, both optimally 64 QAM.

Do u wanna know how many times I actually dropped lte since I bought this phone... Like Twice and that's because I was in part of the city yet complete I'm saying reliable as in when nv is complete because if the rest of the markets is gonna have lte speeds and coverage like here then is is gonna be reliable the only other lte carrier here that's matching sprint coverage is vzw and they are faster but drops 4g at a much stronger signal than sprint lte well at least my Gnex because I can hold a 105- 115 dBm in my basement

El Niche

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Ah, I have been finding this about the 3G in Tmobile very weird. I previously had a Gnex then a HTC one S and now a N4. Both the Gnex and the HTC almost always were displaying an H connection. But now with the N4 I see a lot more 3G and even low bars of 3G. When I start using it I get full H bars (sometimes switching to 3G). At first I had a faulty phone but I am seeing more and more people post this. However, I did do a speed test on and it was an abysmal 1Mbps. Im in Miami by the way. Any thoughts?

TdotLee

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
T
Ah, I have been finding this about the 3G in Tmobile very weird. I previously had a Gnex then a HTC one S and now a N4. Both the Gnex and the HTC almost always were displaying an H connection. But now with the N4 I see a lot more 3G and even low bars of 3G. When I start using it I get full H bars (sometimes switching to 3G). At first I had a faulty phone but I am seeing more and more people post this. However, I did do a speed test on and it was an abysmal 1Mbps. Im in Miami by the way. Any thoughts?

I'm having the same issue in the Tampa area (Brandon, Lithia, Riverview). On average I get 1-2Mbps down (the highest 6Mbps down) & nothing over 2Mbps up. Live chatted with Tmobile Friday for over an hour and nothing changed after all of whatever he did. In the end, he told me that he was submitting a request for an increase in speed for my area and to call if there wasn't a change in 24hrs. There was no change, but I haven't had a chance to contact them again.

itsjose

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I haven't a clue. I'm about 25 miles outside of Atlanta. But now that I think back, I've seen it a number of times change from 3G to what I thought were 2 vertical arrows. I was thinking that it was indicating data going back and forth, but I bet it was actually displaying an H...which looks pretty close to 2 arrows. It's too damn small for my eyes.

The arrows are showing data usage. There would be a H right next to the bars if you have "4G" connection.

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've seen something similar, but, luckily, the worst is not right around me. Right around me, I get 3-4 bars, and around 9-10 Mbit on speedtest. Closer to the city center, still 3-4 four bars, but speed jumps to 15.5 Mbit. On the outskirts of the city, will often still see same 3-4 bars, but speeds go down to around 1.5 - 3 Mbit.

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Close...

G = GPRS
E = EDGE
3G = UMTS (WCDMA)
H = all HSPA variants
4G = LTE

EVDO is a CDMA2000 technology (Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular, and a few other small regional carriers in the US). However, many phones do show EVDO as 3G (or sometimes EV).
I finally just saw "G" for the first time this weekend. Kinda surprised me... I was like, "what 'G' is 'G' " ? :)

I've never seen it stuck at 3G, yet, either.
i.e., while it may often display 3G, any data actual data access has caused it to always switch to H. I've never yet done any data access where it stays at 3G.

I get lots of E areas, on the outskirs around here, too. (North of Pittsburgh).

Basically, seems like if an area's tower doesn't do H, then it's E. Very few in-betweens.

El Niche

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
T

I'm having the same issue in the Tampa area (Brandon, Lithia, Riverview). On average I get 1-2Mbps down (the highest 6Mbps down) & nothing over 2Mbps up. Live chatted with Tmobile Friday for over an hour and nothing changed after all of whatever he did. In the end, he told me that he was submitting a request for an increase in speed for my area and to call if there wasn't a change in 24hrs. There was no change, but I haven't had a chance to contact them again.

Could it be possible its hardware related? I mean in the HTC One S I was using I was getting almost always H speeds. Also, I've noticed sometimes it drops reception for 3 seconds....

TdotLee

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Could it be possible its hardware related? I mean in the HTC One S I was using I was getting almost always H speeds. Also, I've noticed sometimes it drops reception for 3 seconds....

I've wondered the same thing. Just tested a buddy of mine's myTouch 4G here at work & I'm getting better speeds than him, so I guess my phone is good. Must just be the network...

SeanPLynch

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
@greydarrah... If you can see the two arrows in the mobile wireless 'staircase' signal indicator, your eyes are more than good enough to see the 3G or H. However, I suspect that your wifi signal indicator 'fan' is causing the 3G or H to disappear. It alsmost seems like the fan covers up the text part of the mobile wireless signal indicator.

Turn off your wireless and see if you get a 3G or an H to show on your status bar. Don't forget to turn wireless back on if you need it.

Paul Degrassi

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes that's true the N4 will show the more pure Android firm factor and the Samsung GS3 you mentioned will have Samsung's Touchwiz fingerprints all over Androids OS. So to answer your question yes two different phones can show different notification symbols. Now I have a Note 2 and I also have the 4G with the arrows below it. But just recently I got the 4G lte symbol on my phone. And that also has the little arrows below it. Hope that helps some.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza