The so called Nexus 4 battery woes

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
By mods I meant the kernels and stuff(I am new to this stuff so I am not sure about some of the terminology :p) I still have 4 days to exchange it, im not sure if my battery is defective+ or not. I have installed juice defender, turned off gps, turned off sync and get full bars 95% of the time. I got around 2.5 hours of screen time yesterday but I think that was because I had almost 2 hours of phone calls.
I'm running stock and juice defender on basic settings. 2 hours of phone calls would easily eat up some juice.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
My sgs2 skyrocket does well with battery life mind you I'm only on 4.1.2 but either way

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
This is crazy. I could never dream of getting this on my SGS2 or N4 for that matter. Are you under clocking?

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
This is crazy. I could never dream of getting this on my SGS2 or N4 for that matter. Are you under clocking?

No under clock running paranoid android. I use my phone a lot for browsing, email, taptalk, GBA emulator, texting, the big thing is knowing what you are doing I even have the fb app lol I know a lot of people complain about it. I never turn off sync my GPS I do turn off unless needed. I'm in an lte market. I make sure to exit apps properly and terminate them when I'm finished. I actually have done ROM development and am working on learning how to make my own apps.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
No under clock running paranoid android. I use my phone a lot for browsing, email, taptalk, GBA emulator, texting, the big thing is knowing what you are doing I even have the fb app lol I know a lot of people complain about it. I never turn off sync my GPS I do turn off unless needed. I'm in an lte market. I make sure to exit apps properly and terminate them when I'm finished. I actually have done ROM development and am working on learning how to make my own apps.

Seems like a lot of work. If you shut everything off every time you use your phone.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Seems like a lot of work. If you shut everything off every time you use your phone.

That's the thing I don't turn anything off. All I do is make sure I exit apps properly. I'm sure I wasn't very clear on my last post but literally all I do is make sure I exit and terminate the app. No battery saving apps as those cause wakelocks. No crazy sync controllers nothing I do nothing. I let android do the work. I have android tuner pro which helps me plot out usage patterns and helps me spot rouge apps, but I seldom have issues.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
That's the thing I don't turn anything off. All I do is make sure I exit apps properly. I'm sure I wasn't very clear on my last post but literally all I do is make sure I exit and terminate the app. No battery saving apps as those cause wakelocks. No crazy sync controllers nothing I do nothing. I let android do the work. I have android tuner pro which helps me plot out usage patterns and helps me spot rouge apps, but I seldom have issues.

So you just hold down the apps list button and swipe the app to close it after you run it?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
My word, that is terrific. Can you describe your use and setup briefly?
I'm stock. I am on wifi most of the time. I shut things down when I can. I have turned off any syncing I don't need and GPS but I am not sure that makes a difference. I am really doing the same thing I did on my SGS2 but am getting pretty much double the battery. I have been living in battery hell for years so this has been a shock for me. I use my phone constantly.

A couple of things that may have helped or might be useless:

When I got the phone I updated to 4.2.1 then I did a factory reset. I'm not sure why, I just heard it may help.

Then on day two after a full charge I ran the battery calibration app. Since then I've been golden.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Welp, I tried. I really tried. Ran it all the way down to 1%. I feel like I could maybe, just MAYBE squeeze out 16hrs and 4hrs screen on time out of this thing if I keep my use simple. Meaning, no games or videos or anything like that. Just social networks, calls, texts, emails, and light browsing. But today, with a bit og gaming, social networking and other jazz, this is all I could manage. This is pretty good though. I was on wifi all day so maybe that impacted it. I'd like to see how this would look on a day where im out all day with no wifi. Not sure if itd be better or worse, but im interested in trying it.

Attachments

• 2012-12-27 21.35.50.png
    2012-12-27 21.35.50.png
    156.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 2012-12-27 21.35.57.png
    2012-12-27 21.35.57.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 21

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Welp, I tried. I really tried. Ran it all the way down to 1%. I feel like I could maybe, just MAYBE squeeze out 16hrs and 4hrs screen on time out of this thing if I keep my use simple. Meaning, no games or videos or anything like that. Just social networks, calls, texts, emails, and light browsing. But today, with a bit og gaming, social networking and other jazz, this is all I could manage. This is pretty good though. I was on wifi all day so maybe that impacted it. I'd like to see how this would look on a day where im out all day with no wifi. Not sure if itd be better or worse, but im interested in trying it.
I would be happy with that compared to what I used to get. I also bought a portable Anker battery for times when I can't find a charger and that thing charges super fast. Worth checking out.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
So you just hold down the apps list button and swipe the app to close it after you run it?

Always use the apps exit option first if it has one, but yes exactly. I'm not sure what else I could be doing that helps.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm stock. I am on wifi most of the time. I shut things down when I can. I have turned off any syncing I don't need and GPS but I am not sure that makes a difference. I am really doing the same thing I did on my SGS2 but am getting pretty much double the battery. I have been living in battery hell for years so this has been a shock for me. I use my phone constantly.

A couple of things that may have helped or might be useless:

When I got the phone I updated to 4.2.1 then I did a factory reset. I'm not sure why, I just heard it may help.

Then on day two after a full charge I ran the battery calibration app. Since then I've been golden.

Say I have Twitter sync every 15min, Facebook and Email every half hour, spend 15-30 minutes for phone calls, and send 100 texts, with casual Internet browsing and *usually* on Wi-Fi... Would you describe that as more, less, and about the same as you used your device? I know that's not super scientific, just looking at your roughest estimate. That's about normal for me, it'll give me a loose idea how we compare to one another (as I endlessly wait for mine to ship).

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I notice that android OS uses a lot of battery. If I have the phone charged 100% before I go to bed, I'll wake up and it'll be down to 85% without even doing anything. I
Battery stats show android OS chewing most if the battery. I don't know what's wrong with it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Say I have Twitter sync every 15min, Facebook and Email every half hour, spend 15-30 minutes for phone calls, and send 100 texts, with casual Internet browsing and *usually* on Wi-Fi... Would you describe that as more, less, and about the same as you used your device? I know that's not super scientific, just looking at your roughest estimate. That's about normal for me, it'll give me a loose idea how we compare to one another (as I endlessly wait for mine to ship).
I'm not on twitter but I spend a good hour or so on AC so we're even. Other than that we would be close. I may not send 100 texts but I would think that texting probably wouldn't be huge.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I notice that android OS uses a lot of battery. If I have the phone charged 100% before I go to bed, I'll wake up and it'll be down to 85% without even doing anything. I
Battery stats show android OS chewing most if the battery. I don't know what's wrong with it.

Turn everything off other than wifi and see how you are then.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Over night, in the 5 and a half hours I was asleep and my phone was on a 100%, it went down about 8% with no use at all. Android OS was the main consumer, but I don't think its the problem. During regular use, Android OS is one of the least of my battery consumers.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Is there a reason you have Twitter syncing every 15 minutes? I reckon if you change the sync rate (I have it on 30mins) it'll help your battery because it will poll less. Facebook I have syncing every 4hours (I use Facebook less and less though). Everything else you said sounds about what I would do too. 12 or 13hrs is the most I've gotten from this phone but im sure it can do better.

DogPsyche

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It's the screen - the glorious, beautiful screen that we love so much really is the battery killer. Mine is on the lowest possible illumination, plain wallpaper (not LWP) but the minute it turns on you can see the battery level flowing away more than any other device I've ever worked with :( If only it could last like the N7...

Sent from my lovely Nexus 7

17veen

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm stock too. Recently I ran the GLbenchmark 2.5 battery test and since then my battery has impressively improved. Don't know if it's a coincidence or what but now I get about 4 hour of screen time compared to 2.5 to 3 and quarter hrs. I mix between mobile data and wifi. My battery drops much slowly now and can go 24 hours+ without charge.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae