Receiving SMS On Google voice

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
So this used to work just fine and now I don't get MMS pics to my gmail when someone texts me.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Google Voice does not currently support MMS.

The only exception is if you have a Sprint account that has been specially integrated with Google Voice. Under those conditions the MMS is actually going through Sprint's infrastructure, not Google's.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
SMS text messages will go to your email via your Google Voice number regardless of whichever carrier you're with. MMS will only go to your email if you are a Sprint user with Google Voice Integration.

This has always been the case.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I have to tmobile and it worked fine for me a few months ago. Am I imagining this?

SMS text messages will go to your email via your Google Voice number regardless of whichever carrier you're with. MMS will only go to your email if you are a Sprint user with Google Voice Integration.

This has always been the case.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, Jerry. This is the first I'm hearing of GV/Gmail supporting MMS on any carrier other than Sprint. Perhaps it was a prelude (testing) for things to come.

One can only hope.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
No. Maybe it was from someone who was on sprint.... My best guess

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I am still receiving MMS messages via my email from many carriers (Sprint /T-Mobile /MetroPCS) and I am on at&t.

Dan

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Everyone is supposed to be able to get MMS from Sprint users as long as txt to email support is enabled in your G Voice settings.
I was getting MMS from everyone for a little while. Sounds like dan1413 still is.

Probably Google using some of us as guinea pigs :)

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
It's awesome knowing that you are not nuts. For me if was working fine for a few months and someone just sent me a pic (one that I REALLY REALLY wanted to see) and I didn't get it.

Of course there is always email, but for some people that is a drag. Why that is I will never know....

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It's awesome knowing that you are not nuts. For me if was working fine for a few months and someone just sent me a pic (one that I REALLY REALLY wanted to see) and I didn't get it.

Of course there is always email, but for some people that is a drag. Why that is I will never know....

While many people now have smartphones, most people still treat their smartphones like feature/dumb phones. They haven't properly set up their contacts with email information, or put them in the cloud, so sending someone an email from their phone isn't as convenient to them.

Also, they may be used to sending to other people that don't have smartphones, and therefore don't think of emailing them pictures because they figure they can't get them on their phones that way. They're conditioned to use MMS.

The technology may be nearly mainstream these days, but average people have yet to catch up to it. I'm still teaching people how to manage their contacts when switching over to smartphones. We see it in posts on these forums all the time. Some folks just don't get it until it's spoonfed to them.

Minlock

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
IIRC, Sprint MMS with Google Voice ends this year. I wonder if something in that agreement precludes Google from extending MMS to other carriers until the agreement is up and what some people are seeing is testing for a future MMS system?

bilago

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Funny, I just received my first MMS message out of the blue via google voice about 2 minutes ago and her carrier is Virgin mobile, however they do use sprint's network, so that could be the explanation for my example.

Celeste Green

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
While many people now have smartphones, most people still treat their smartphones like feature/dumb phones. They haven't properly set up their contacts with email information, or put them in the cloud, so sending someone an email from their phone isn't as convenient to them.

Also, they may be used to sending to other people that don't have smartphones, and therefore don't think of emailing them pictures because they figure they can't get them on their phones that way. They're conditioned to use MMS.

The technology may be nearly mainstream these days, but average people have yet to catch up to it. I'm still teaching people how to manage their contacts when switching over to smartphones. We see it in posts on these forums all the time. Some folks just don't get it until it's spoonfed to them.

as fast as tech changes you will spoon feeding soon too

Travis Cannon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so GV cannot send MMS. Got it. I'm also aware of the ability to send texts (including those with MMS) to email. Is there a way to filter these messages so that messages only with an MMS can be kept, whilst all else from GV are deleted? I've tried http://bit.ly/ZEnbMv but that seems to be only for those that have Sprint. I've tried it and it's not worked.

I've tried putting something together to the best of my knowledge, but I get mixed results at best. Help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer