Receiving SMS On Google voice

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so GV cannot send MMS. Got it. I'm also aware of the ability to send texts (including those with MMS) to email. Is there a way to filter these messages so that messages only with an MMS can be kept, whilst all else from GV are deleted? I've tried https://community.republicwireless.com/message/12124#12124 but that seems to be only for those that have Sprint. I've tried it and it's not worked.

I've tried putting something together to the best of my knowledge, but I get mixed results at best. Help!

Seems pretty cut & dry from the link you provided. (I'll put the non-shortened link here for the benefit of those that don't trust short links.)

https://community.republicwireless.com/message/12124#12124

Bottom line is with GV, at present, you can only receive MMS via email from people that use Sprint (or in some cases a Sprint-related MVNO).

Everything else about filtering the emails is posted in the thread you linked. Is there something specific about the filtering syntax you need help with? I haven't actually tried it myself. This is something that is kind of hard to test unless you have a Sprint user on standby that can send you MMS for testing.

UPDATE: I just tested this filter: from:(@txt.voice.google.com) -has:attachment

That works great from the GMail search bar on the desktop site. It finds all text messages that do NOT have attachments. (I had a few that some of my Sprint-using friends had sent me over the last several months.)

To create a filter with this condition, put @txt.voice.google.com in the From field and put -{has:attachment} in the Has the words field.

I've set things up so that my text messages WITHOUT attachments skip the inbox and go to a label called Text Messages. I created a second filter that takes text messages that HAVE an attachment and puts them in a sub-label called MMS. I then set up my GMail app on my phone to alert me with a special notification sound whenever anything new shows up in the MMS label.

As previously noted, only MMS attachments sent from a Sprint user will come through. All other MMS messages don't come through at all. I just tested from a Verizon phone (my work phone) and got nothing (as expected).

Last edited:

Travis Cannon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so that is the filter to take SMS from GV with no attachments to a desired folder? Correct? I guess that's where I'm confused. So, then in theory, that should take MMS from GV to the inbox, yes?

Thanks for all your help!

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so that is the filter to take SMS from GV with no attachments to a desired folder? Correct? I guess that's where I'm confused. So, then in theory, that should take MMS from GV to the inbox, yes?

Thanks for all your help!

It doesn't actually DO anything. The assumption was that people already know how to create filters in Gmail. The information I provided is merely the filtering criteria. When you set up the filter using that criteria you need to tell Gmail what to actually do with the message. You can apply labels, delete it, whatever.

I gave examples of what I did for my own account. But you need to set it up for your own needs.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It works with other carriers but intermittently.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

As far as I've been able to confirm, it will only work with carriers that use Sprint's network, such as MVNOs like Ting or prepaid carriers like Boost Mobile.

The recipient can be on any network, but the sender must be using a Sprint-related carrier/MVNO. This is because at present Sprint is the only carrier that has set up full integration with Google Voice, so Google's SMS/MMS backend knows how to talk to (and use) Sprint to deliver the MMS attachments.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
That would make sense. Because I always asking someone is on Sprint and I have gotten no on several occasions.

As far as I've been able to confirm, it will only work with carriers that use Sprint's network, such as MVNOs like Ting or prepaid carriers like Boost Mobile.

The recipient can be on any network, but the sender must be using a Sprint-related carrier/MVNO. This is because at present Sprint is the only carrier that has set up full integration with Google Voice, so Google's SMS/MMS backend knows how to talk to (and use) Sprint to deliver the MMS attachments.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia