Adreno 320 vs Mali MP4? S4 Pro Vs Exynos

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
In terms of glbenchmark which tests gpu, the adreno 320 is faster and performs better than the Mali but isn't significant. Cpu there isn't rreally much difference

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Thats only rendering, it doesn't test real performance of a cpu, geekbench is the proper way to test this as the results aren't that different not like quadrant where one time you will get a score 2x higher than the last. Game loading, web browsing, and game playing is the only way your going to test how a cpu and gpu perform

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Is there a video that tests those? I cant imagine with pure android it lagging in any way at all anyways. I Mean even the galaxy nexus is buttery smooth.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Is there a video that tests those? I cant imagine with pure android it lagging in any way at all anyways. I Mean even the galaxy nexus is buttery smooth.

I played with the LG Optimus yesterday at the store and the responsiveness was off the chart. If the N4 is the same as this I will be a happy camper. I found it to be quite a bit faster than the note 2, but they both were amazing.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus4 scored 59.2 fps using NenaMark2 which pretty much pegs out the meter. So I would say that the Adreno 320 GPU will serve you well for years to come with respect to Android gaming. I'm noticing zero lag/stutter when playing some of the more graphic intensive games. I have no experience with the Note2 but I'd fare to say that either phone would be a good choice and this point.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah my gs3 scored around 58.8 ish so that isn't bad either, the thing I'm worried about is in glbenchmark the galaxy s3's Mali gets really bad score on triangle texture why is this? Is this bad?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The S4 Pro is just plain faster than anything else. I don't care what benchmarks say. You're talking about a quad core chip that's an entire generation ahead of what's in the Exynos Quad. If one phone performs better on a benchmark, then clearly that software has had some work done to increase its performance on those.

If you're really into gaming on Android then you want a tegra chip anyway. Software optimization beats godzilla hardware every time.

A real comparison would be the S4 Pro and Exynos 52xx in the Nexus 10.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Actually the best gpu is what's in the iPad 4, it's got the next generation gpu after the iPad 3. The iPad 4 has the new power vr 544 which is also quad core, has better memory within the gpu, higher clock speed and if I'm right it has a newer architecture than the iPad 3 and adreno 320

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Exynos is faster than S4 Pro however Andreno 320 is faster than Mali MP4.

Below the are Antutu 3.0 benchmark comparison shots of Note 2 with LG Nexus 4 and LG Optimus G and they clearly shows that Note 2 is good in every department except GPU where andreno 320 shines but this does not essentially translate into better gaming as I find many games still run better on Note 2 than on Nexus 4. For example, Need for Speed Most Wanted runs much smoother on Note 2 than on Nexus 4.

No Nexus 4 does not out perform note 2 on geekbench 2.

Sunsider benchmark show note 2 superiority as well where lower is better and note score 1027 and Nexus 4 score 1800+

Quadrant is a benchmark which I usually don't care about and it's results are miss leading at times but even here Note 2 score close to 7000 and Nexus only manages 4700 to 4800 range.

I do not have screenshot of vellamo but here again Note 2 is better than Nexus 4.

I have note 2 and I have already ordered Nexus 4 only because of superior GPU but after finding all this I am thinking about selling my Nexus 4 unopened as soon as I receive it. I know people would hate me for saying this but if gaming is most important to you then you are better of with iOS than android. Android gaming is a mixed bag and would always remain the mixed bag because of the nature of the platform.

Benchmarks never tell the whole story. That said, I thought everyone realized the N4 has such low scores due to benchmarks not being optimized for Android 4.2. Compare the Note 2 to the Optimus G (which puts up 7000+ on Quadrant if you care about such things).

Nexus 4 CPU & GPU substantially outperform the hardware from the Note II, not even worth discussing.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Actually the best gpu is what's in the iPad 4, it's got the next generation gpu after the iPad 3. The iPad 4 has the new power vr 544 which is also quad core, has better memory within the gpu, higher clock speed and if I'm right it has a newer architecture than the iPad 3 and adreno 320

Going cross platform? Not a fair comparison. There are other PowerVR chips not being used at all that are faster.

You can't compare architectures across different GPU's since no company is open enough about it to really compare.

There are a lot of things that go into how well a chips performs, especially in games and benchmarks. The tight control between hardware/software is why apple has traditionally been the better gaming platform. This is also why tegrazone has better looking games than non tegrazone games.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Is there no access to the real specs of each GPU discussed?

Manufacturer supplied performance numbers. But it's more the fact that you can't get any details about the architecture itself.

Raw performance numbers provided by the manufacturer isn't a good indication of performance, though, since going strictly based on those means you'd only ever want a Mali or Adreno. :p

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Seems kind of strange since I can find every little detail on my 580 classified if I want to. Why doesn't it work the same as it does for desktop GPU's?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
They should start doing that so its not under speculation which device is best. Like its a fact my 580 is faster than a 6970.

Faster...but generates WAY more heat. What's best for you might not be best for me. :)

But I do agree that they should give more information about their stuff. It's not like it can just because copied.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Faster...but generates WAY more heat. What's best for you might not be best for me. :)

But I do agree that they should give more information about their stuff. It's not like it can just because copied.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

More heat? Care to see my temps? I bet they beat yours. And on topic I don't see why they wouldn't. Like you said even with specs released its not like they can make something better or equal or nvidia and amd would be doing it to each other. I hate speculation on which chip is better.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
More heat? Care to see my temps? I bet they beat yours. And on topic I don't see why they wouldn't. Like you said even with specs released its not like they can make something better or equal or nvidia and amd would be doing it to each other. I hate speculation on which chip is better.

I'm just going by what I've read. I actually have a laptop with a GTX570m and I can't complain at all.

I'm still a big proponent of software matters more than hardware. That's why I still think nvidia is the way to go if you're a "huge" gamer on a phone. The tegrazone stuff really does look fantastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22