Adreno 320 vs Mali MP4? S4 Pro Vs Exynos

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm just going by what I've read. I actually have a laptop with a GTX570m and I can't complain at all.

I'm still a big proponent of software matters more than hardware. That's why I still think nvidia is the way to go if you're a "huge" gamer on a phone. The tegrazone stuff really does look fantastic.

For the tegrazone stuff I can just use chainfire 3d. Same thing after that.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
For the tegrazone stuff I can just use chainfire 3d. Same thing after that.

It's NOT the same. I've done the side by side.

That's like saying you'll do physx through software on an AMD gpu and performance will be the same. :p

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Can you back that up with links? I haven't seen a tegra gpu in person but it doesn't look different in the screen shots/videos I've seen. The THD tegra sonic games look identical to the videos unless I'm blind as well. That is the only game I've tried out recently.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Can you back that up with links? I haven't seen a tegra gpu in person but it doesn't look different in the screen shots/videos I've seen. The THD tegra sonic games look identical to the videos unless I'm blind as well. That is the only game I've tried out recently.

I can not. I did the side-by-sides myself a long time ago, back when Tegra 2 was around. But it makes sense that it wouldn't be the same, since what you're doing is essentially adding an emulator layer into the mix.

I know a good one to try is Riptide GP. I played it on my AT&T One X (not with Chainfire), and then the Nexus 7. Night and day. I haven't messed with Chainfire in at least a year, and while it stands to reason that it has improved, nothing can be as good as native support for the code. :)

Of course it also makes sense that with these brand new chipsets that they actually have enough overhead to make up the difference, but I can't confirm or deny that at all, since I don't own a device with an S4 Pro.

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
So how can I tell if I am not getting the extra effects from no Tegra GPU? I am going to test it out now with Chainfire. From my assumption I thought it was just a marketing ploy to make people buy Nvidia mobile GPU vs any others. I dont see why its different on other GPU's. Doesn't it just detect your GPU (which chainfire makes it so it detects a tegra) and enables extra features? I know that samurai game looked exactly like the tegra version. All the tegra only games worked with chainfire too.

EDIT: Nevermind I guess chainfire doesn't work with ICS/JB.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So how can I tell if I am not getting the extra effects from no Tegra GPU? I am going to test it out now with Chainfire. From my assumption I thought it was just a marketing ploy to make people buy Nvidia mobile GPU vs any others. I dont see why its different on other GPU's. Doesn't it just detect your GPU (which chainfire makes it so it detects a tegra) and enables extra features? I know that samurai game looked exactly like the tegra version. All the tegra only games worked with chainfire too.

EDIT: Nevermind I guess chainfire doesn't work with ICS/JB.

Well I guess then that makes the discussion a moot point LOL. Yes there are extra features that are enabled by having the Tegra GPU, but some of those are dependent on the hardware being present, which isn't the case with every GPU. There are certain things that HAVE to be supported for Android, but anything extra on top of that is up to the manufacturer, and each one can choose different things to support. I wish I had an example, but I can't think of any specifically right now.

And OF COURSE Tegrazone is a marketing thing. The idea is to get more people to buy nVidia stuff that want to game, because generally speaking the gaming experience is better on a Tegra. You can play all the regular Play Store stuff with no problems, plus you get access to specially made Tegra specific stuff that is hands down better looking than the non-Tegra (if they even make a non-Tegra version) of the same game.

More generically, Apple has always been the "king" of mobile gaming because of their strict hardware control. It's much easier to make a game that takes full advantage of the hardware when you only have ~3 hardware targets to code for. Android has hundreds of different hardware targets, so most dev's target the lowest possible target to reach the highest possible market. nVidia just gave those that care a specific hardware target and said "take full advantage" and those that are sure are making some great looking games. Have you seen Horn or Shadowgun? I can't believe how good they look. RIptide GP is a good showcase for the physics stuff.

That being said, unless you're a REALLY heavy gamer I don't think having a Tegra should be the primary feature anyone looks for. I think if you're looking at a couple of devices and are up in the air, then maybe it's the swing vote. I got a Nexus 7 because it's a great tablet, and it also happens to have a Tegra 3 in it. If it didn't, I probably still would've gotten it because it's a great tablet for the money. Right now I have an AT&T One X. I like it. But I'm not going to go out and try to get the One X+ just because it has Tegra. It's not worth it to me. I'm also not going to skip the Nexus 4 because it doesn't have a Tegra. Does that make sense?

^^^^All that goes out the window when the A15 based Tegra comes out. Then I'll be doing my best to hunt something down that has it inside. :)

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't the One X have the tegra GPU though? I'd assume you can see it.

The AT&T One X which he has, has the S4/adreno 225. The International has a tegra GPU. The AT&T One X+ has a tegra. Like Kevin says, Riptide GP is a great game to show off the difference of gaming on a tegra device and devices with another GPU. Looks exponentially better on my Nexus 7 than it does on my Note 2, however, also like Kevin said I wouldn't buy a device just because it had a tegra GPU. It definitely helps that I have a Nexus 7 which I do most of my gaming on, but on a phone sized screen I don't think the difference is drastic enough to be a deal breaker either way. I went with the Note 2 simply because I have more screen real estate and ultimately that will make the phone a better gaming device for ME than a little better graphics performance. I've yet to encounter anything my Note 2 couldn't handle with ease. I'm sure the same can be said for the Nexus 4/Adreno 320.

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
The AT&T One X which he has, has the S4/adreno 225. The International has a tegra GPU. The AT&T One X+ has a tegra. Like Kevin says, Riptide GP is a great game to show off the difference of gaming on a tegra device and devices with another GPU. Looks exponentially better on my Nexus 7 than it does on my Note 2, however, also like Kevin said I wouldn't buy a device just because it had a tegra GPU. It definitely helps that I have a Nexus 7 which I do most of my gaming on, but on a phone sized screen I don't think the difference is drastic enough to be a deal breaker either way. I went with the Note 2 simply because I have more screen real estate and ultimately that will make the phone a better gaming device for ME than a little better graphics performance. I've yet to encounter anything my Note 2 couldn't handle with ease. I'm sure the same can be said for the Nexus 4/Adreno 320.

But I assume too that any GPU is capable of what the tegra does its just added features for marketing right? I mean I really doubt the note 2 couldnt do the extra effects from the Riptide game. They just dont include those so its extra incentive to buy a tegra based device.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
But I assume too that any GPU is capable of what the tegra does its just added features for marketing right? I mean I really doubt the note 2 couldnt do the extra effects from the Riptide game. They just dont include those so its extra incentive to buy a tegra based device.

That's a good question. With the way the Note 2 handles anything I throw at it, I'd at least like to see the tegra version of Shadowgun or Riptide run on it. I don't get into benchmarks a whole lot and don't know how the benchmarks of the two compare, I'd like to see how the two compare in real world situations. I've been very impressed with the Mali GPU and can't imagine that it couldn't run the Tegra version of Riptide just fine. I would think the N4 could as well.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

That's a good question. With the way the Note 2 handles anything I throw at it, I'd at least like to see the tegra version of Shadowgun or Riptide run on it. I don't get into benchmarks a whole lot and don't know how the benchmarks of the two compare, I'd like to see how the two compare in real world situations. I've been very impressed with the Mali GPU and can't imagine that it couldn't run the Tegra version of Riptide just fine. I would think the N4 could as well.

The closest I can get to explaining it would be the driver differences on a PC, but on the hardware side of things. Where nVidia might optimize it's drivers to allow a game to perform better on its hardware on the PC, it allows devs to code specifically for its GPU on mobile devices.

The Note 2 could probably handle it all, too, but may or may not support all of the necessary instructions that are being called by the app. In reality probably any new high-end phone could, since the Tegra GPU isn't really all that powerful in comparison anymore.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I can not. I did the side-by-sides myself a long time ago, back when Tegra 2 was around. But it makes sense that it wouldn't be the same, since what you're doing is essentially adding an emulator layer into the mix.

I know a good one to try is Riptide GP. I played it on my AT&T One X (not with Chainfire), and then the Nexus 7. Night and day. I haven't messed with Chainfire in at least a year, and while it stands to reason that it has improved, nothing can be as good as native support for the code. :)

Of course it also makes sense that with these brand new chipsets that they actually have enough overhead to make up the difference, but I can't confirm or deny that at all, since I don't own a device with an S4 Pro.

Riptide GP using chainfire 3d on S3:

Riptide GP on Galaxy S3 using Chainfire 3D Nvidia Plugin - YouTube

Riptide GP on Nexus 7 Tegra 3:

Riptide GP running on Nexus 7 using PS3 Six-axis controller - YouTube

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Benchmarks never tell the whole story. That said, I thought everyone realized the N4 has such low scores due to benchmarks not being optimized for Android 4.2. Compare the Note 2 to the Optimus G (which puts up 7000+ on Quadrant if you care about such things).

Nexus 4 CPU & GPU substantially outperform the hardware from the Note II, not even worth discussing.

The real world gaming test where Nexus 4 is not outperforming Note 2 rather Note 2 is out performing Nexus 4:

NEXUS 4 VS NOTE 2 NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED GRAPHICS COMPARISON - YouTube

Separate videos:

Another one:

NEXUS 4 VS S3 VS NOTE 2 VS IPHONE 5 NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED GRAPHICS COMPARISON - YouTube

Who said Nexus 4 beats Note 2 in GPU? That's a joke right? In 4-5 days time I am getting my Nexus 4 and I can more real world comparison myself. Performance wise Note 2 CPU is still the best in android platform.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

That's correct. It is just a marketing crap nothing else.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

I have attached the Mali GPU video (s3) running Tegra version of Riptide GP. I can not do it on Note 2 because Note 2 has jellybean and Chainfire 3D is not support which helps emulate Tegra games. This is marketing crap nothing else. Other videos of Tegra 3 games using chainfire 3d:

Galaxy on Fire 2
Galaxy on Fire 2 on Galaxy S3 using Chainfire 3D Nvidia Plugin - YouTube

Max Payne (When the video was made Max Payne was optimized for Tegra 3 but now I believe they are same)
Max Payne on Galaxy S3 using Chainfire 3D Nvidia Plug in - YouTube

GTA 3 (You can not get some of special effects with Tegra 3 on this game but using chainfire 3D can unlock them like the steel strip over the car tyre more detailed car etc)
GTA 3 on Galaxy S3 using Chainfire 3D Nvidia Plugin - YouTube

Sonic 4 Episode II (When this video was made, this game was only available for Tegra 3 devices)
Sonic 4 Episode II on Galaxy S3 using Chainfire 3D Nvidia Plugin - YouTube

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Tegra 3 is just a marketing crap. The only good thing about Tegra is that all Tegra games are properly optimized for the hardware so they work and look good however Tegra 3 (as the hardware itself) is a below par CPU and GPU. The GPU performance is even less than Mali 400 and Adreno 320 is even more better than Tegra 3.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Who said Nexus 4 beats Note 2 in GPU? That's a joke right? In 4-5 days time I am getting my Nexus 4 and I can more real world comparison myself. Performance wise Note 2 CPU is still the best in android platform.

Everyone but you?

But oh man, a YouTube video of someone playing NFS.

You've won your case.

/sarcasm

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Everyone but you?

But oh man, a YouTube video of someone playing NFS.

You've won your case.

/sarcasm

It is not by someone. He is my friend and he has both devices. I have hands on experience with both.

Also I meant CPU not GPU. CPU in Note 2 is better whereas GPU in Nexus 4 is better but real world gaming experience tells that Nexus 4 does not have any real advantage over note 2 in gaming. This is not the only video. My friend also played GTA Vice City on Note 2 and Nexus 4 and again Nexus 4 was lagging a bit whereas note 2 was smooth as butter. If you want then I can provide you the links.

I am not here to win cases. The OP asked which one is better so I tried to give him the correct answer first by uploading benchmark results and people said that benchmarks does not matter and real world tests matters more. So when I upload real world gaming experience video then you are showing sarcasm. Tell me then what is right way to show someone what is the truth?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar