Adreno 320 vs Mali MP4? S4 Pro Vs Exynos

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Thats only rendering, it doesn't test real performance of a cpu, geekbench is the proper way to test this as the results aren't that different not like quadrant where one time you will get a score 2x higher than the last. Game loading, web browsing, and game playing is the only way your going to test how a cpu and gpu perform

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

You are correct again.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus4 scored 59.2 fps using NenaMark2 which pretty much pegs out the meter. So I would say that the Adreno 320 GPU will serve you well for years to come with respect to Android gaming. I'm noticing zero lag/stutter when playing some of the more graphic intensive games. I have no experience with the Note2 but I'd fare to say that either phone would be a good choice and this point.

International S3 scores the same on NenaMark2 but I don't think even S3 GPU will serve for years to come with respect to android gaming.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Actually the best gpu is what's in the iPad 4, it's got the next generation gpu after the iPad 3. The iPad 4 has the new power vr 544 which is also quad core, has better memory within the gpu, higher clock speed and if I'm right it has a newer architecture than the iPad 3 and adreno 320

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Yes iPad 4 has the best GPU there is no doubt about it.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Benchmarks never tell the whole story. That said, I thought everyone realized the N4 has such low scores due to benchmarks not being optimized for Android 4.2. Compare the Note 2 to the Optimus G (which puts up 7000+ on Quadrant if you care about such things).

Nexus 4 CPU & GPU substantially outperform the hardware from the Note II, not even worth discussing.

Antutu 3.0 is optimized for 4.2 and it clearly show that CPU score is way less than Exynos in Note 2. Even the ram score is low. The only thing where Nexus 4 shines is the GPU performance but GPU performance alone can not guarantee good gaming experience in the long run. So far there is no single android device which is good for gaming. By good I mean best experience possible for that game otherwise old phones are still running the newer games in crappy graphics resolution and effects.

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Antutu 3.0 is optimized for 4.2 and it clearly show that CPU score is way less than Exynos in Note 2. Even the ram score is low. The only thing where Nexus 4 shines is the GPU performance but GPU performance alone can not guarantee good gaming experience in the long run. So far there is no single android device which is good for gaming. By good I mean best experience possible for that game otherwise old phones are still running the newer games in crappy graphics resolution and effects.

It shows the CPU is less than the S3 with the S4 non pro too. You think thats optimized? I certainly don't. It shows the ram slower too. You think that the ONLY area the Nexus 4 surpasses the S3 is the GPU but it has everything superior? Makes no sense.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
It shows the CPU is less than the S3 with the S4 non pro too. You think thats optimized? I certainly don't. It shows the ram slower too. You think that the ONLY area the Nexus 4 surpasses the S3 is the GPU but it has everything superior? Makes no sense.

Then why I am not seeing the gaming performance? Why note 2 is doing better in gaming performance? Whats wrong? Go check google play store for antutu and according to Antutu it is optimized for 4.2. For your info I am pasting their whats new text below:

What's in this version:
v3.0.3
- Fixed Wait a long time for verify network time.
- Fixed crash when benchmarking on some device.
- Fixed some UI display bug.
v3.0.2
- Full support multi-user feature on Android 4.2.
- Display CPU core number in benchmark information.
- Lock screen orientation on benchmarking to avoid some error.
- Fixed submit page display twice on first time submit scores.
- Fixed crash on some device.
v3.0
- New OpenGL ES 2.0 3D benchmark for 3D game performance test.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Talk about real world gaming performance. Today I get the chance to Play Modern Combat 4 on Nexus 4 and it was running smooth but I noticed some effects were missing at the start up screen as well as in game effect. On the other hand I have the same game on Note 2 which it also runs smooth but with all those effects that are missing on Nexus 4 gaming. Developers turn off effect some for the devices which can not handle those effect. If you want I can give you the video links.

Some days back I played Nova 3 on Nexus 4 which it was running smooth but again some effect were missing like Depth of Field etc. Whereas Note 2 has those effects and still runs the game even smoother. Nova 3 was specially updated for Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 back in november and it was not a matter of none optimized game.

You can not deny the real world performance. In games Note 2 does exhibit better performance which says something. Where note 2 shows better result in benchmark people say that benchmark is not optimized for 4.2 (although it is updated for 4.2) and where Nexus 4 shows better result i.e. GPU they do not say that the benchmark is not optimized for android 4.2 :) They just simply say that Nexus 4 has better GPU. The truth of matter is that Nexus 4 has nice GPU but CPU is not stepped up from before which can support a nice GPU and also the ram is not speedy. I have checked Nexus 4 has dual channel DDR2 ram at 533MHz instead of 1066MHz (source Phone Arena website). I hope now you get it why Nexus 4 does not get good score in ram as well.

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Talk about real world gaming performance. Today I get the chance to Play Modern Combat 4 on Nexus 4 and it was running smooth but I noticed some effects were missing at the start up screen as well as in game effect. On the other hand I have the same game on Note 2 which it also runs smooth but with all those effects that are missing on Nexus 4 gaming. Developers turn off effect some for the devices which can not handle those effect. If you want I can give you the video links.

Some days back I played Nova 3 on Nexus 4 which it was running smooth but again some effect were missing like Depth of Field etc. Whereas Note 2 has those effects and still runs the game even smoother. Nova 3 was specially updated for Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 back in november and it was not a matter of none optimized game.

You can not deny the real world performance. In games Note 2 does exhibit better performance which says something. Where note 2 shows better result in benchmark people say that benchmark is not optimized for 4.2 (although it is updated for 4.2) and where Nexus 4 shows better result i.e. GPU they do not say that the benchmark is not optimized for android 4.2 :) They just simply say that Nexus 4 has better GPU. The truth of matter is that Nexus 4 has nice GPU but CPU is not stepped up from before which can support a nice GPU and also the ram is not speedy. I have checked Nexus 4 has dual channel DDR2 ram at 533MHz instead of 1066MHz (source Phone Arena website). I hope now you get it why Nexus 4 does not get good score in ram as well.

1066 is 533 you talk like you know hardware but you don't know that? Its called DDR for dual data rate this 1066.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
1066 is 533 you talk like you know hardware but you don't know that? Its called DDR for dual data rate this 1066.

Lolz. I am comparing both DDR rams and Nexus 4 only has 533Mhz instead of DDR 1066 so no need multiply by 2. If you want to multiply by 2 then do for both as both are same ram technology but clock speed is half in case of nexus 4. Hope you get it.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

It seems that you never wanted to listen an honest answer rather you just wanted to hear that oh Nexus 4 has the CPU and GPU and it has the best hardware. Sorry can't say that. I do not want to go off topic otherwise I could compare the complete hardware vs a flagship android phone and show weaknesses but I do not inclined to do so because first of all it is not the topic and second; you do not seems to hear the truth judging from the way you are taking my responses. Anyways, I tried my best to explain and do whatever you feel like. I only wanted to help but one can only help if the other guy is open to listen. Seems like you have already made up your mind but I wonder why ask this question on forum when you have already made up your mind? Only to listen yes from everyone that oh nexus 4 is best?

Anyways, good luck. I am getting mine within 3-4 days as it is was shipped yesterday from USA to me. I would keep note 2 as well and compare for a week and then sell the one that I do not need. I know I am going to miss way too much after Note 2. I did the same with iphone 5 (I had note 2 at that time). I bought iphone 5 as well and kept both note 2 and iphone 5 for a week and at the end I figured out that note 2 has too much to offer as compared to iPhone 5 so I sold iPhone 5. I am going to do the same here and let see what happens.

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Lolz. I am comparing both DDR rams and Nexus 4 only has 533Mhz instead of DDR 1066 so no need multiply by 2. If you want to multiply by 2 then do for both as both are same ram technology but clock speed is half in case of nexus 4. Hope you get it.

Yes it is multiplied by 2 are you dumb? You expect me to listen to you but you don't know something that simple?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Optimized for 4.2 isn't the same as optimized for Nexus 4. The CPU and GPU are superior in every way to what's in the Note 2. Quad-core cortex A9-based Exynos with Mali-400 gpu. This is old architecture. Devs have had time to optimize and get everything they can out of it.

Quad-core Armv7 instruction set-based Snapdragon S4 Pro with Adreno 320 gpu. Brand new architecture. Not enough time to have properly optimized for this newer architecture.

I don't care about benchmarks. I don't care about your videos. This thread is about which is superior hardware. In that area it's clearly the Nexus 4.

The difference is software. You're comparing pure AOSP which has no tweaks done to trick benchmarks, no tweaks to improve performance in any particular area at all, vs. software that samsung has tweaked in MANY ways to squeak every last bit of performance out of it's older hardware. Kudos to Samsung for that, but it doesn't make the hardware superior.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes it is multiplied by 2 are you dumb? You expect me to listen to you but you don't know something that simple?

Now you are calling me dumb where as you are the one who is not understanding this stuff. I am saying that both numbers are dual channel ddr so if you say 533 is 1066 then 1066 dual channel ddr is equavalent to 2133. Nexus 4 has only 533 mHz dual channel DDR instead of faster 1066 MHz dual channel DDR and you continue to say both ram speeds are equal how ignorant you are. You do not seem to know simple math that if you multiple one ram by 2 then why not second by 2 as well. Nexus 4 has slow ram and this is why getting low score on ram.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Optimized for 4.2 isn't the same as optimized for Nexus 4. The CPU and GPU are superior in every way to what's in the Note 2. Quad-core cortex A9-based Exynos with Mali-400 gpu. This is old architecture. Devs have had time to optimize and get everything they can out of it.

Quad-core Armv7 instruction set-based Snapdragon S4 Pro with Adreno 320 gpu. Brand new architecture. Not enough time to have properly optimized for this newer architecture.

I don't care about benchmarks. I don't care about your videos. This thread is about which is superior hardware. In that area it's clearly the Nexus 4.

The difference is software. You're comparing pure AOSP which has no tweaks done to trick benchmarks, no tweaks to improve performance in any particular area at all, vs. software that samsung has tweaked in MANY ways to squeak every last bit of performance out of it's older hardware. Kudos to Samsung for that, but it doesn't make the hardware superior.

To me Optimized for 4.2 does mean nexus 4 as which other mobile phone is running 4.2? Is there any other mobile phone available with 4.2 which antutu developer can use for 4.2 optimization? If you guys continue to say that it gets low score because of 4.2 then Optimus G does not have 4.2 rather old trust 4.04 with LG doing all kind of tricks to score well on benchmarks but still it score less on CPU vs Note 2 on antutu benchmark. Yes Exynos is old but S4 Pro is not mind blowing either.

On the other hand you have said that you don't care about benchmarks rather real world then why newer games which are optimized for nexus 4 does not work as great as they should on Nexus 4. As per rock star (check their website) nexus 4 is the supported device for GTA Vice City then why it shows poor performance and lag?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
To me Optimized for 4.2 does mean nexus 4 as which other mobile phone is running 4.2? Is there any other mobile phone available with 4.2 which antutu developer can use for 4.2 optimization? If you guys continue to say that it gets low score because of 4.2 then Optimus G does not have 4.2 rather old trust 4.04 with LG doing all kind of tricks to score well on benchmarks but still it score less on CPU vs Note 2 on antutu benchmark. Yes Exynos is old but S4 Pro is not mind blowing either.

On the other hand you have said that you don't care about benchmarks rather real world then why newer games which are optimized for nexus 4 does not work as great as they should on Nexus 4. As per rock star (check their website) nexus 4 is the supported device for GTA Vice City then why it shows poor performance and lag?

Nexus 7 and Nexus 10. Both of which run completely different chipsets. Optimized for changes in the OS framework and optimized for the specific chipset aren't the same thing. It all goes back to the software being optimized for hardware, and in some cases software being optimized for software (which is why the Note 2 can score higher than phones with much faster chipsets in benchmarks).

Compared to Exynos yes the S4 is mindblowing. Talk to me again in a year or so. Exynos from the Note 2 won't be in any device that could be considered even remotely high-end. The S4 Pro, OTOH, will be in plenty. Along with Exynos 5xxx and Tegra 4 (or whatever nVidia will call it).

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

In real world forget about running the games faster, loading games is even faster on note 2 for many graphics intensive games. People would keep on saying that nexus 4 drivers are not optimized, software not optimized yet so it is not running up to it's potential etc etc. and it would continue to go like this until people forget about nexus 4 as some other new hot mobile would be out. To me nexus 4 belongs to google and android belongs to google so things should work from day one and no one wants to wait for life time for optimization to come. I am close to get my nexus 4 in 1-2 days and I would see when the optimization that you are talking about would come on surface. I am going to mark this day and we would talk in a months time as I believe in todays tech world 1 month is too much of a time. I thought nexus 4 would not be like Galaxy Nexus and it would be a good device but it seems that things would not turn out the way I expected them to. I was looking to sacrifice better camera, better sound and lot of extra features only for smooth and next generation performance but so far I am feeling let down. So i would talk to you after a month about the optimization that you are talking about.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 7 and Nexus 10. Both of which run completely different chipsets. Optimized for changes in the OS framework and optimized for the specific chipset aren't the same thing. It all goes back to the software being optimized for hardware, and in some cases software being optimized for software (which is why the Note 2 can score higher than phones with much faster chipsets in benchmarks).

Compared to Exynos yes the S4 is mindblowing. Talk to me again in a year or so. Exynos from the Note 2 won't be in any device that could be considered even remotely high-end. The S4 Pro, OTOH, will be in plenty. Along with Exynos 5xxx and Tegra 4 (or whatever nVidia will call it).

We are talking about mobile phones and nexus 4 is only 4.2 device.

I can only smile on whatever you have written. S4 pro is mind blowing? Wow my mind is then probably too strong to be blown away.

No comments on real world performance of GTA Vice City? :) where is mind blowing performance?

Who is talking about future devices? I am only talking about nexus 4 and hardware packed in it. Exynos 5 would blow away S4 pro easly. Right now S4 pro is having hard time keeping up with exynos 4.

I am not like you guys who keep their device for years. 2-3 months are max for me to keep one device and if by that time I do not get the performance that I am looking for then it is a failure.

I do not believe in potential rather I believe in ground reality and what a certain device gives me performance currently and i am sorry to say that I am totally underwhelmed to see what nexus 4 is going to offer me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca