Adreno 320 vs Mali MP4? S4 Pro Vs Exynos

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
It comes down to a software issue. Just like the CPU score too. Anandtech proved its 1066 by actually showing you the RAM chips. Like I said in the ing beginning of all this arguing.

I can only wait but I am not hopeful that somehow magically Nexus 4 would start performing better at least better than Note 2 with older CPU and GPU. Being a potential nexus 4 owner I am also in the same boat as everybody else on this nexus 4 forum but I do not have high hopes anymore. When nexus 4 was announced and after watching benchmark scores on anandtech I was very excited and my excited was shattered when i see the real world performance. I would see you guys on the same topic in the same thread after one month and let see where we would stand. I am already sacrifying lots of useful feature of note 2 over the performance gain on nexus 4 (low quality camera, sound, storage and no otg support are my biggest disappointments). If nothing happens then i would just wait for exynos 5 in Galaxy S4 and move on.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Its about software pulling the hardware down.

Even if it is software then still it is not acceptable to leave consumers suffer or nexus program is still not for consumers rather for google's optimization and bug fixing on android and for developers to develop and optimize their apps? Thats what it used to be.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Considering I paid ebay price for this phone, not google play store price, I should be even more disappointed. I live in middle east and I ordered all the way from US just to get my hand on it because it was not available in the market unlike all other phones. The limited / none availability is ridiculous as well. How hard is it to manufacture few million units? It seems they only supply few thousands at one time and this is why i have to buy from ebay.

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Considering I paid ebay price for this phone, not google play store price, I should be even more disappointed. I live in middle east and I ordered all the way from US just to get my hand on it because it was not available in the market unlike all other phones. The limited / none availability is ridiculous as well. How hard is it to manufacture few million units? It seems they only supply few thousands at one time and this is why i have to buy from ebay.

I don't think anyone would argue that. Can we get back on topic? Or is this thread dead?

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
It comes down to a software issue. Just like the CPU score too. Anandtech proved its 1066 by actually showing you the RAM chips. Like I said in the ing beginning of all this arguing.

Does anandtech anywhere mentioned in detail about nexus 4 ram and its clock speed and data rate? I am not able to find it. For iPhone 5 its there but not for nexus 4.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think anyone would argue that. Can we get back on topic? Or is this thread dead?

The thread is dead because in real world i do not see any mind blowing performance and paper specs does not matter if the real world performance does not backed up the numbers. Older devices are doing better and its been one month since launch and situation is same. No improvement so obviously thread would go dead. I would only call that hardware better which would give me performance and truth is right now note 2 give better performance and overall great extra features over nexus 4. So thread would remain dead until nexus 4 performance improve. This is why i am saying I would see you after a one more month. 2 months of the nexus 4 life time.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Not only youtube videos but also benchmarks and real world gaming performance which I have seen from my own eyes and as well as youtube is full of it. Disappointing performance from a so called next gen CpU

YouTube videos and benchmarks... those don't validate your arguments.

I'm at a loss, I give up.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Then get a Note 2 and be happy.

In 6 months when the next version of Android comes out the Nexus is GUARANTEED to get it. The Note 2 will probably get it, 3 months later.

Then 6 months after that another version of android will be released. Guess what? Nexus will get it. Note 2 won't. But wait, you'll have moved on to a new phone by then? It still won't run the most current version of Android, unless you get another Nexus. In which I expect a thread just like this to pop up from you.

I still can't figure out how it's so hard to understand that 4.2 doesn't equal just the Nexus 4 and that optimizing for new framework vs optimizing for new hardware are different things.

You brought up RAM. RAM wasn't part of the original discussion. The hardware was. And the HARDWARE is superior. Look at the white papers for both chips and you'll see that it's more advanced.

Real world performance that you're so keen in bringing up isn't just about hardware.

Yes, the Optimus G is held back by software. Samsung has had more time to optimize for its much older Exynos chip than anyone has for the brand new S4 Pro.

But I guess the idea of driver optimization escapes you. That would be the closest computer analogy I can come up with. That's why GPU performance of computers can improve. They optimize the software for the hardware.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Then get a Note 2 and be happy.

In 6 months when the next version of Android comes out the Nexus is GUARANTEED to get it. The Note 2 will probably get it, 3 months later.

Then 6 months after that another version of android will be released. Guess what? Nexus will get it. Note 2 won't. But wait, you'll have moved on to a new phone by then? It still won't run the most current version of Android, unless you get another Nexus. In which I expect a thread just like this to pop up from you.

I still can't figure out how it's so hard to understand that 4.2 doesn't equal just the Nexus 4 and that optimizing for new framework vs optimizing for new hardware are different things.

You brought up RAM. RAM wasn't part of the original discussion. The hardware was. And the HARDWARE is superior. Look at the white papers for both chips and you'll see that it's more advanced.

Real world performance that you're so keen in bringing up isn't just about hardware.

Yes, the Optimus G is held back by software. Samsung has had more time to optimize for its much older Exynos chip than anyone has for the brand new S4 Pro.

But I guess the idea of driver optimization escapes you. That would be the closest computer analogy I can come up with. That's why GPU performance of computers can improve. They optimize the software for the hardware.

If the new version is similar upgrade which was from 4.1 to 4.2 then I do not need the new upgrade. I do not have to buy note 2 as I am using it from last 3 months and if you have missed it then let me tell you that I have already bought Nexus 4 and it is shipped already. Hopefully I would receive in 1-2 days but if nothing changes (as you people are predicting) as far as performance is concerned then I would sell Nexus 4 and buy S4 whenever it would come out provided it has Exynos 5. I am not going to sell my note 2 anyway. People failed to understand that these small software upgrades does not matter on android and android itself is customize able. Samsung devices are already well optimized so they do not need any project butter and this is why S3 on 4.0.4 was equally fast as it is now on 4.1.1. The premium suit for S3 is on its way which would add so many stuff and note 2 already has that premium suit out of the box.

So I would keep a close watch on progress of things using my Nexus 4 and how much the claims made here turn into reality. I would be a very happy person if Nexus 4 becomes the device imagined by people in this thread. I have always wished for an android phone with buttery smooth performance both in apps and games. Let see...

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
The S3 on Touchwiz was not fast....My friend and I both (I don't own it) noticed a big difference in performance after I put CM10 on it when the nightlies first came out. Project butter did wonders for his phone.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The S3 on Touchwiz was not fast....My friend and I both (I don't own it) noticed a big difference in performance after I put CM10 on it when the nightlies first came out. Project butter did wonders for his phone.

The touchwiz Jelly Bean update made a noticeable performance improvement on my coworkers S3. He noticed it, and isn't a phone geek.

Software matters. If for no other reason than security patches. There are also new features, like Google Now. With all the bloat of Touchwiz, though, it might not be noticeable.

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
The touchwiz Jelly Bean update made a noticeable performance improvement on my coworkers S3. He noticed it, and isn't a phone geek.

Software matters. If for no other reason than security patches. There are also new features, like Google Now. With all the bloat of Touchwiz, though, it might not be noticeable.

I was referring to 4.0.4 to CM10. This was a couple months back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy