Nexus 4 Water damage help

Jennifer Lai

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Please help! Did the rice thing work for you? I dropped my phone in a puddle of water but not the whole phone only the bottom part touched the water where the usb goes now i can not charge my phone. My screen is fine and i can talk on it but now i cant charge it please let me know.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Please help! Did the rice thing work for you? I dropped my phone in a puddle of water but not the whole phone only the bottom part touched the water where the usb goes now i can not charge my phone. My screen is fine and i can talk on it but now i cant charge it please let me know.
it worked 100% on my daughters blackberry but we could take the back off. It went all the way to the bottom of a pool. Do it. The rice works really well. Leave it in for 2 days.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Kevin MacFarlane1

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Just had this happen to me:

Dropped the Nexus 4 into the toilet Bowl. It was playing an mp3 at the time, and that immediately stopped. The phone was still on, after probably being under water for about 1 second. Luckly it was clean water. Well I pretty much cr@apped myself, freaked out, checked websites etc. Only had the N4 about a week.

After drying, and blowing with compressed air, I checked functionality. Everything worked fine, touch screen, power/volume buttons etc. But the sound was screwed up. Like others who have had problems with the mic (my mic worked fine) it was the only thing wrong.

But I managed to get it working 100% by looking up some Youtube vids to open the phone. Of course I turned it off, opened the phone with two little screws on the button (need a T5 screwdriver), and then proceeded to dry the inside. I also peeled back one layer of stuff from the inside, about 8 Phillips type screws inside, peel back a layer of plastic and undo all the connectors, apply the compressed air, and then left in front of a fan for about 4 hours. When I reconnected everything, everything including the sound worked!

So maybe this seems drastic, but if this is not covered by warranty, perhaps it is worth the extra effort over rice (which didn't seem to fix other peoples mic problems).

I did not try rice....

So, thats my story...

Good luck.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Just had this happen to me:

Dropped the Nexus 4 into the toilet Bowl. It was playing an mp3 at the time, and that immediately stopped. The phone was still on, after probably being under water for about 1 second. Luckly it was clean water. Well I pretty much cr@apped myself, freaked out, checked websites etc. Only had the N4 about a week.

After drying, and blowing with compressed air, I checked functionality. Everything worked fine, touch screen, power/volume buttons etc. But the sound was screwed up. Like others who have had problems with the mic (my mic worked fine) it was the only thing wrong.

But I managed to get it working 100% by looking up some Youtube vids to open the phone. Of course I turned it off, opened the phone with two little screws on the button (need a T5 screwdriver), and then proceeded to dry the inside. I also peeled back one layer of stuff from the inside, about 8 Phillips type screws inside, peel back a layer of plastic and undo all the connectors, apply the compressed air, and then left in front of a fan for about 4 hours. When I reconnected everything, everything including the sound worked!

So maybe this seems drastic, but if this is not covered by warranty, perhaps it is worth the extra effort over rice (which didn't seem to fix other peoples mic problems).

I did not try rice....

So, thats my story...

Good luck.
nice effort but you do still need to be careful when turning things on and off when there could be water in the phone. You could short it out in the freaking out stage of I hope it works. You are better to be 100% sure (which it does sound like you were) that there is nothing that is wet. I would highly recommend using the rice trick if this happens to anyone else.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Reed Joseph

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi there. I was working out and perspiring heavily (I think we all know where this is going). The only place sweat leaked in to was the sim slot. The phone still works fine on, it is just unable to read my straight talk sim card. Is there a chance the sim could be screwed? Is it too late to try the rice trick since the phone was on while the sim was unreadable? Also I've tested turning on and off several times after popping it open and wiping it dry. Please advise.

Parth Raval

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I got my Nexus 4 in to some powerade since my friend wanted to be an *******. Everything works fine just that it's a little slow but the back mic works when a ringtone starts but doesn't work if I play an mp3 song or anything off the internet. I need help. Like I just got my Nexus 4 and thanks to my friend I got it ruined. It's my first phone & I have no clue of what to do with it. I just need it to work!

Moulik Solanki

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

Dropped my N4 in water, stayed there for probably a second. Quickly blowed air for a while, the screen is perfect, the software is fine.
The problems I face are with the loudspeaker.. nothing from it. Also snag with the earpiece, the call went through, but couldn't hear anything.
So, as I write my phone stays submerged in rice, and I'm praying its up and running soon.

Any suggestions I could use folks?

Meenakshi Sinha

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Hope this helps!

The Aladdin's Cave!: The Nexus 4 Redemption!

- - - Updated - - -

Hope this helps!

http://meenakshi-thealaddinscave.blogspot.in/2013/07/the-nexus-4-redemption.html
I got my Nexus 4 in to some powerade since my friend wanted to be an *******. Everything works fine just that it's a little slow but the back mic works when a ringtone starts but doesn't work if I play an mp3 song or anything off the internet. I need help. Like I just got my Nexus 4 and thanks to my friend I got it ruined. It's my first phone & I have no clue of what to do with it. I just need it to work!

LBabyRuth

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I think my mistake was turning it on before realizing it had taken water damage... was in the boat and it was in a dry bag... that apparently wasn't so dry (bottom seal had broken) I went to turn it on ... saw the google sign flash then noticed water dripping out of the charging port and off it went before I could turn it off :( .. I've had it in a rice bag 2+ weeks now the only sign of life... I keep getting a blinking red light... and have been reading on here that maybe leaving it charge for a few days now may resurrect it??

I already have a new to me one, however I got a kitten about 3 weeks before this happened had well over 500 photos and no back up of that 3 weeks and they are only kittens for such a brief time :'(
Amazing first thing the new one did is ask me about linking to google+ and now it uploads my photos and vids... too bad it didn't offer that when I got the other at the onset of the year...

I really want my pictures if the phone is hosed is there a way to get those pictures and videos off?

Also.. Have had others get wet I live in The Bahamas ... and as it's SALT water.. haven't had much luck with the rice trick...or if it does come back on.. it's very temporary... I'll settle for that for this if it does after charging for a few days...

Seppe Destoop

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
if theres waterdamage, how do i know wich parts i have to replace?
i have what's called the red light of death. im going to try remove the battery and place it in again, otherwise i hope a new battery would help,?
Is that the right thing to do, or am i going the wrong way?

Last edited:

Seppe Destoop

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
try sucking on the hp jack
Hey guys,

Dropped my N4 in water, stayed there for probably a second. Quickly blowed air for a while, the screen is perfect, the software is fine.
The problems I face are with the loudspeaker.. nothing from it. Also snag with the earpiece, the call went through, but couldn't hear anything.
So, as I write my phone stays submerged in rice, and I'm praying its up and running soon.

Any suggestions I could use folks?

Seppe Destoop

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
If there is water damage, replace the entire phone with a new one.

i assume your comment was meant to be on my other comment about my own phone?
but anyways, i dont know if the phone still works or if its just a battery thingy. the red light of death seems to indicate a battery issue, not an issue with the motherboard or whatelse...

and since im still at highschool i dont really have the money to buy a new one right now

lauraspain

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 4 Water drop

did your mic come to life finally?
dropped muy nexus 4 into the water one day ago.
rice worked for all buttons and functionallities but the microphone does not work.

how did it work for you??

lauraspain

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
same problem with loudspeakers butnI solved IT with rice overnight.
now i'm just f***ed with the microphone :(
did you get any luck with that?
thanks!

jim6

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
To all those who have a water damaged Nexus 4 which works fine after being dried out except the mic (people can't hear you when you make a call).

There is only one fix and it is easy!!!!

I dropped mine and after leaving it with a repair shop for 3 weeks I was told it was effectively a write off - not true. Now I can only just about change a plug but I managed to fix it. Here is all you need to do. Buy a micro usb flex on line. They are about ?12. Buy a T5 screwdriver. They are about ?1. Youtube nexus 4 dissembled which shows how easy it is to change it. I followed it and it took me about half an hour. Phone now works fine. I suppose it will negate any warranty as you have repaired it yourself but the amount of posts I have seen with this problem with some wierd and wonderful suggestions are not helpful.

A ?12 usb micro flex - easy and cheap to do abd it WILL fix your problem. Any Q's then let me know.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante