Any Galaxy SIII users get a Nexus 4? What are your impressions?

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Any Galaxy S3 users get a Nexus 4? What are your impressions?

i'm really loving these too. they seem very well integrated with the UI

Can't "live" without on screen buttons anymore. Since they're software, on some dev roms they can be completely removed for full screen effect (hit power button to get them...even though I find they are auto removed anywhere I'd like them to disappear), add long press functions, swipe from key functions, nav bar/lockscreen targets and widgets, change design/text/colors, change glow colors/designs, change height/width/spacing of the nav bar, etc. Possibilities are nearly endless, because they're software. Software > hardware imo.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

focus issues,
be more descriptive please
ear piece noise issue
yea this sucks but apparently its not exclusive to the n4. its been reported even on the gs3. read here: Earpiece buzz not unique to the Nexus 4, but it's there [buzz] | Android Central
also not everyone has it on their n4.

under saturated screen colors
i'll take the "under saturated" colors with sharper text and higher ppi over the "over saturated" colors with more pixelation any day of the week. i think majority would agree with me here.
on screen button taking screen real estate and get accidentally hit?
i've never accidentally hit the on screen buttons. i dont mind that they take up a little bit of space, but thats just me.
Don't talk about NA version of S3 which is ed version of S3.
The OP, piizadude, myself, and many of us are in NA (idk about you), so talking about the NA version seems logical.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

The premium pack for S3 is coming with so much new stuff and i hope that you have seen the official video of it? How someone can not like it? Software updates are not a problem with samsung anymore. I do not live in US so I don't have to go through carier for updates :) i don't have S3 but S3 users would get a nice surprise in form of premium update. By the way S3 north american version itself is a version of S3 and laggy. My friend has it and I have hands on experience with it. My wife's International S3 is way snappier and better than that.

software updates are a problem for us in the US. i saw that premium pack video, and there were only two things i found useful. i honestly can't remember what one was. but the other one was using multi-window with apps. i can guarantee you google will implement this feature very soon, haha maybe even before the US SGS3 even gets the premium pack update! I believe i have seen it on windows phone as well. maybe you have a different experience with the s3 since you're not in NA. however after more than 2 years with samsung, i am done with samsung crap plastic and slow/no updates (gingerbread 1 year after it was released, and then none after that). tbh i was 100% sure i was going to get an iphone 5 this year, but the nexus 4 kept me with android. its the only android phone that offers all of the following: premium build, excellent hardware, fast updates, long software life cycle, all of which are extremely important to me.

Last edited:

tlrsax54

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

It's kind of funny...here in the Nexus forum of course it's full of "TW is bloat and slows the phone down with useless gimics" and in the S3 forums it's "Stock android is lacking, I can't live without the TW features now" lol. I don't think one is better than the other, just different. Personally I prefer Touchwiz and it's "useless" features :)

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

It's kind of funny...here in the Nexus forum of course it's full of "TW is bloat and slows the phone down with useless gimics" and in the S3 forums it's "Stock android is lacking, I can't live without the TW features now" lol. I don't think one is better than the other, just different. Personally I prefer Touchwiz and it's "useless" features :)

may i ask what these "useless" features are? i'm surprised to see how many people adore TW. When i got my GS1 it was really considered the worst UI.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I love reading these posts about phone A vs B phones because it's a battle between personal prefrences. Yet the individuals still plead there case for either phone as there choice is absolute forgetting or ignoring the small little detail "to each his own".

These people go on forever battling in circles that starts out point vs point then jab for jab until debate because complete nonsense.(FYI this why I love reading these posts.)

In end there always victory in war that has no winners or losers called a war of OPINION.

Let the pointless battle rage on...

All what I have said in just MY PERSONALLY OPINION not bases on fact or logical reasoning just OPINION.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

im just participating because i like a good debate not because "i have to have the better phone!" haha

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Samsung has sold well over 30 million Galaxy SIII's, and HTC is in financial trouble. So please remind me, who needs to do the catching up again?

And to be quite honest, outside of the meticulously crafted design of the Nexus 4. I haven't been as blown away by it as I have been with the S3. I really wanted to be blown away here, and so far I have not been. Maybe it's because I'm not coming from an older model phone like a lot of people here, or maybe because I actually miss some of the features of my S3. Regardless I will still continue to give this phone a fair chance.

by 'crown' i think he meant just having the best screen not selling the most units.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
im just participating because i like a good debate not because "i have to have the better phone!" haha

I can tell that your just participating, but the others are in a war of opinion. Like I said I find that it's extremely musing to read these pointless debates. I seldom bother to participate and just read a few post for a good laugh from time to time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

tlrsax54

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

may i ask what these "useless" features are? i'm surprised to see how many people adore TW. When i got my GS1 it was really considered the worst UI.

Mostly these : Screenshot_2012-12-12-13-49-45.png
I could probably live without them, but they're nice to have lol

I also like facebook syncs its contact photos and calendar to my phone, I'm not sure if the Nexus does that or not :/

S-Beam and some of the instant share features in the camera app are nice but I haven't used them too much

Edit : I am also a sucker for Helvetica font.....I like that Samsung has it as an option now!
Also, my brother got the GS2.....I don't think it's near as fluid and nice as the S3's UI

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I can tell that your just participating, but the others are in a war of opinion. Like I said I find that it's extremely musing to read these pointless debates. I seldom bother to participate and just read a few post for a good laugh from time to time.

nah... we're all friends here. we're here because we love technology. this debate was bound to happen, so might as well get it over with lol

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

tlrsax^^^ the point is that all of these features and countless others from Android based roms (aka TouchWiz, Sense, Blur) are available via apps or custom roms. That's where the OEM's and even Google itself gets "their" ideas most of the time (let's not leave Apple or Microsoft out of this). Someone mentioned vanilla Android as a clean canvas. Great analogy! So you can have whatever you like, and not bog or blog your device with the stuff you don't want or need. I'll be the first to say AOSP roms are way to plain for me. I've only run AOSP builds for the few hours it takes feature rich rom devs to release a build after a new version of Android hits AOSP. I just know that I could get most all of my can't live without features on a stock device via the play store.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Mostly these : View attachment 50770
I could probably live without them, but they're nice to have lol

I also like facebook syncs its contact photos and calendar to my phone, I'm not sure if the Nexus does that or not :/

S-Beam and some of the instant share features in the camera app are nice but I haven't used them too much

Edit : I am also a sucker for Helvetica font.....I like that Samsung has it as an option now!
Also, my brother got the GS2.....I don't think it's near as fluid and nice as the S3's UI

can you explain the ones you have checked? im too lazy to look it up lol

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
nah... we're all friends here. we're here because we love technology. this debate was bound to happen, so might as well get it over with lol

True, these debates are bound to happen but the end results are the same. I love technology as well I am just speaking on how people take their passion for a phone into more than just opinion is hilarious.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I call it a barebones OS. Essentially what you are saying. There is nothing wrong with it, it just doesnt do what I want, and on top of that, I do not want to spend the time searching out apps.

As I quoted it is a sidegrade in phone not an upgrade

For you, bud, for you. Those are the type of "opinion" words you just don't like to put into your posts. Like I said, the CM GS3 at home felt less than a sidegrade, to me, than my LTE gnex. I feel the gnex is still by far the best LTE phone for crackflasher's and tinkerer's ( I've never had any issues since launch day as lots of other's had...bad QC to blame).That said, obviously I didn't upgrade to the N4 as I dont feel it's enough to leave VZW, YET, as I'm on a cheap old unlimited data family plan and I'm still super happy with my device. I've never had a phone that feels new within days of owning it 1 year....and that I can foresee it still feeling fresh and new for many months to come and finish out my contract. Then I'll see what Nexi are out. Those with N4 will be able to say the same thing many months down the road. Franco already ditched the GS3, the big two rom devs will support it for a while, but that's not nearly enough variety for me. If you're happy now, and still are months down the road. Good for you, you win :D

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

direct call--when you have a contact on the screen, put the phone to your ear and it will dial
smart alert--will vibrate when you pick up the phone to let you know you you missed something
tilt to zoom--if you have a picture up and tilt the phone it will zoom in the direction you tilt.
Pan to move icon--Press and hold an icon on the homescreen, then tilt the phone and it will move screens to change the icon location
pan to browse--http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHq7JDn22k8
I also use shake to update and the turn over to mute, double tap is nice when it works right

direct call seems kinda useless, i mean i'd honestly rather tap the # to call but thats me
smart alert, again seems useless as light flow seems more useful since i can just look at the phone and look at the specific colors (i have green for emails, blue for texts, red for calls, etc.)
tilt to zoom, pan to move icon, shake to update, pan to browse and double tap to get to the top seems nice but honestly seem very minor. anyone know of some apps that can do these?

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
direct call--when you have a contact on the screen, put the phone to your ear and it will dial
smart alert--will vibrate when you pick up the phone to let you know you you missed something
tilt to zoom--if you have a picture up and tilt the phone it will zoom in the direction you tilt.
Pan to move icon--Press and hold an icon on the homescreen, then tilt the phone and it will move screens to change the icon location
pan to browse--http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHq7JDn22k8
I also use shake to update and the turn over to mute, double tap is nice when it works right

I'd like to find an app to duplicate all those functions

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49